Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Active Member

TBH - that set is overrated. It's pretty packaging though. If someone wants to hear it - PM me

janmaccazwan likes this.
  2. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

A few random answers to some questions asked last night. I’ve tried and make it spoilers free. But for what it's worth…

- Except from When Winter Comes, there’s nothing “rustic” about this record. There, I said it. Not rustic at all!

- No dancing either, I'm afraid…

- Slidin’ is indeed a heavy wall of sound song, hard to compare to any older Macca rocker. It has nothing to do with Run Devil Run whatsoever, it sounds much too “contemporary”… Maybe Nothingtoomuchjustoutofsight or The Bloody Redroots variation of it. Or the last minute of Hell to Pay. But it’s still a stretch…

- … and that's really what I find the most “McCartney” about the album : you just can’t compare it (nor can you most of the songs) to any of his previous records. Especially the more freeform studio experiments: Long Tailed Winter Bird/Deep Deep Feeling/Deep Down, that are strategically placed in the track-list to give the LP its backbone and its overall “feel”. The same was true of McCartney and McCartney II, of course, and that's why they can be called “insular”, not just because he did them alone but because they live on their own little planets, thanks to a few tracks that provide a certain color, tracks that could’ve ended up in the “B-sides” bin for other projects but are an integral part of the charm of the “McCartney” series.

- III has nothing to do with Chaos & Creation at all. It’s not a solemn record, nor a well mannered or polished one. Don't get me wrong, I think Chaos is a sublime LP, but my intuition is Paul won't go the "crepuscular masterpiece" route anymore. He's done it fifteen years ago, and it was exceptional in both senses of the word.

- Yes, the LP is all over the place stylistically but it's nevertheless cohesive, because it has personality. Still, some songs clearly come from different eras. Paul’s said he came in to “finish off” some ideas. Apart from When Winter Comes that could've/should've been on Flaming Pie (or on the Flaming Pie archive set!), it will be an interesting task to separate the tracks he came up with while “stretching his legs” in the studio (Long Tailed and the two Deep songs, I guess ?), the songs he came in to complete (I’d say Find My Way, Pretty Boys, Seize the Day) and the ones he set out to write specifically for the project once it was clear an album was on the way (my bets are on The Kiss of Venus, Lavatory Lil and Women and Wives). Slidin’ ? Hard to say. Could be part of any of the three groups. Hopefully we'll know everything in a future upgraded edition of @backseat's book.

- I can’t rank it in Paul’s canon. It’s always difficult after only a few spins, but especially with the “McCartney” ones, oddballs as they are, because they are not just collections of songs but a “vibe”. It took me thirty years to fully appreciate McCartney II’s vibe… All I can say is McCartney III has been much more immediate for me!!!

3. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

So I’m assuming this think could leak before release date ? (I ordered every version, was just curious since it seems like more and more people have heard it )

4. joshbrf

joshbrf Forum Resident

@Fortuleo thanks for the insight! Much appreciated! Just a quick follow-up question. Is Pretty Boys anything special? I just find it weird that all but one of the reviews has managed to dodge it thus far. Or is there a reason you think they haven’t seemed all too impressed?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Michigan Governor's husband did not get his boat launched, but he also was not in the UK, so why are we even bringing this up? Let's try to stay on topic, please.

Troyh, Rob Hughes, BeatleJWOL and 5 others like this.
  6. I think McCartney III has only three quarters. It's a concept.

Calico likes this.
  7. Of course he can post, but certainly not read all these pages. Even me (not recording, not touring, not being interviewed, not so much else in my life) I can't.

Calico likes this.
  8. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

That's disappointing. Pre-order cancelled

9. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I really hope this was a joke :doh:

Of course, if you preordered the yellow vinyl, then go right ahead :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    BeatleJWOL, Alen, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.

10. Thank you very much for the generous and valuable information!

Needless to say - any other persons who have heard it - please offer your observations.

tug_of_war and theMess like this.
  11. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Around here, who knows? :shrug:

BeatleJWOL, Paperback Writer and BuCo like this.
  12. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Because it’s not like Chaos, you’ve decided you’re not going to like it?

13. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Bottom left picture.
    Paul posing with the 2 sound engineers.
    I guess they were III in the studio!
    [​IMG]

The Band, omikron, jmxw and 12 others like this.
  14. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Maybe this picture was taken during mixing/mastering

15. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I wouldn't be so quick to conclude that.

When stopped by the police, Paul's response to them demonstrated a complete disregard for social distancing:

I'm gonna move, I'm gonna go,
    I'm gonna tell everyone I know,
    Lookin' for a studio in the heart of the country.

Tracey, BeatleJWOL, Calico and 5 others like this.
  16. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

:angel:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  17. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I have nothing more to say there. @Arnold Grove? You’re up.

18. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

19. In Italy we called these mushrooms “Mazze di Tamburo”... very good

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    There’s a good reason why threads here are overlong and repetitious. People don’t use the search engine enough.

21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If you aren't already, you should be writing professionally.

BeatleJWOL, Zeki, Alen and 1 other person like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok O have some question
    Is there any song on the album that features the sound of Bip Bop played backwards?
    Is there any song festuribg Paul play harmonica
    with his behind
    Is there any music on the album recomended listening while making love
    Is there any music that festures frogs
    Is there any similarities between Ram, Family Way and led Zeppeins Kashmir
    Is any song similar to Gilbert O Sullivans Claire
    Thanks for the effort

23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

Re the montage of photos above: I quite like the face mask variation of the "funny glasses" photos from the McCartney II album.

James McCartney likes this.

25. The gentleman in the picture, just to the left of the green circled mushrooms , do we know who he is? Seems very recognizable to me, put can’t place he or his name. Anybody?

omikron and mikecarrera like this.