More files/quality on USB mode on cd player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Nov 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Guys, my cd player (NAD C546BEE) supports USB playback with the following capabilities:

[​IMG]
    Is there any other way to connect the USB via my system so that I can use more files, more folders, with better quality?

Thanks!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The reality is that by today's standards, you're going to be very limited. FAT32 is limited problematic. This why modern Windows computers have moved to NTFS. Keep in mind NTFS was brought to market with Windows NT. And it was implemented to consumer versions of Windows XP. It's a very old format. I have 2008 VW with a disc changer that accepts CDs with MP3 files with similar constraints. If I exceed the limitation given in the manual, it ignores the data. So, I doubt you'll have any better luck.

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

maybe some kind of unlimited adapter that I could add to the audio chain and connect a USB to it, a DAC maybe?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. Get a Raspberry Pi and build a music player.
    Get away from all the rubbish interfacing and technical restrictions arbitrarily put there by make box, sell box audio manufacturers, and come over to The Dark Side and experience freedom :cool:

Mike-48, Rob6899, DoF and 1 other person like this.
  5. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Those listed specifications (512 files per folder/directory, 64k total files) are actually the limitations of the FAT16 file system, not FAT32, which supports 64k files per folder and 256M total files.

There's a good chance that those published specifications are simply wrong, printed by someone who is not familiar with the details of computer file systems.

Have you actually tried putting more than 512 files in a folder, to see what happens?

Retro Music Man and DoF like this.
  6. DoF

It ignores the data above 320K, I haven't tried with folders yet

7. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The ISO-compliant maximum bitrates for MPEG audio are 320 kbps for Layer III (MP3), 384 kbps for Layer II (MP2), and 448 kbps for Layer I (MP1). Anything above that is a non-standard "free-form" file.

8. DoF

Is there any hard disc device like separate audio unit to store files and play them?

9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

There is no easy way to do this without a DAC or a CD player with digital inputs. I like "Less is more," but do you have a budget for doing this? I've been using file-based audio a long time & might be able to make some suggestions.

DoF likes this.
  10. DoF

Yes I have budget for this, please advice, DAC?

This the back of my CD player:

[​IMG]

11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I was thinking something like an Allo DigiOne player hooked to an inexpensive DAC like a Topping E30. The player allows access to and browsing of the files, while the DAC . . . is a DAC. (I own both units and think they give a lot of value for the price.) That combination can be controlled by a smartphone or tablet app and play files on an attached USB drive or NAS. The DigiOne is SPDIF coax, so limited to PCM 129 kHz. Allo also makes a USB-output player, I believe, and also some players with DACs built in. I have not tried those, but my experience with a competing small DAC (HiFiBerry DAC Pro Plus) was not great.

At a higher price point, I'd think of the Matrix Element M or Element X streaming DACs. Those I've not heard myself, but they have a great reputation. Of course, there is the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge -- maybe since you are in Poland, you can get a deal?

Just some idea from the products I'm familiar with. I imagine other people will have other suggestions.

12. DoF

Thank you, the search is on

13. DoF

Still looking, two options:

1. get some kind of music streamer, to stream music from my computer to amplifier, but I have no expeirnce with that, and afraid of SQ
    2. got an old netbook, I can use as file server, and connect to amplifier

14. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

First try one or both of these (PC / Netbook) with a basic USB dac, such as the Behringer UCA202, available used for less than £20, and something like Foobar2000 (free) on the PC.

If the quality of this is acceptable, continue, otherwise come back and tell us all what is unacceptable about it, and we can move things on.

Optionally, rip a few CDs to FLAC with EAC or similar, play the resulting files back through this, and see if it's an acceptable alternative to the CD player....

DoF likes this.
  15. DoF

So my plan is to:
    1. use my netbook with,
    2. portable 1TB external hard drive
    My netbook is Eee PC 1005HA, with following inputs/ouputs:

1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor)
    3 x USB 2.0
    1 x LAN RJ-45
    2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in)
    Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)

Can’t find the sound card specs

First I will test connecting it to my amp thru head phone jack, but thinking about getting DAC.

All my files are wavs.

Some questions:

Will I get any SQ improvement using DAC in this configuration?
    Where do I connect it, usb or head phone jack?
    Do I need a DAC software installed on netbook? Netbook runs on win xp.
    It uses win media player, better options or it’s good?

Thanks!

16. DoF

seem interesting , is very cheap, no instalation required, but what about the SQ ?

17. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

On a par with every CD player I've ever used. I use one every day, pretty much. I've used DVD-Audio, SACD, vinyl, DAT, reel-to-reel - it sounds fine to me.

18. DoF

I connected netbook straight to amp thru head phone jack, the sound was ok but not a par with CD player, quieter.

I ordered the Behringer UCA202, hoping it will improve the sound compared to the "head phone jack". Will it?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  19. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I'm quietly confident it will, but only you can tell if that applies to you.

DoF likes this.
  20. DoF

will report :)

21. DoF

I connected the Behringer UCA202, installed Foobar2000 for XP, and it works very well. Is it possible that Foobar2000 is better than Windows Media Player in terms of SQ?

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  22. Zek

Zek Member

Yes, it is.
    You can try AIMP or MusicBee or Album Player.

DoF likes this.
  23. DoF

24. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

You can play back either/both through the Behringer and decide for yourself.

Clearly using the Behringer is better than using your headphone jack. You could also play back both WMP and Foobar through the headphone jack, see if you can hear difference between the two...

DoF likes this.
  25. Have you installed the ASIO drivers for Foobar2000?

DoF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.