Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

One question for the more experienced: Is there any method or tool that can do away with the distortions that affected the 5 multitrack songs recorded in the last recording session of "Come Fly With Me"?

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yes. Play the mono version. :agree: :love:

My guess would be to find the most affected frequencies and, as narrowly as possible, reduce them. I guess it all depends on the nature of the distortion. That's all I can think of.

McLover, Artur Torres and CBackley like this.
  3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm curious about how well something like this Declip might work, if set well:

Artur Torres likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My cat, Baby, likes Frank Sinatra. She gets near me and cocks her ear and listens.

RSteven likes this.
  5. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Does anyone here own the 1998 UK “Sinatra: 20 Classic Tracks” CD on the Music for Pleasure label? It contains 2/3 of the tracks from this album. I only ask because it was one of the first Sinatra discs I ever owned - having purchased it long before I possessed any intricate knowledge of Frankie’s discography and which CD/LP releases are superior - and I’ve been curious for years about what source was used to produce it. The Larry Walsh CD? Or something far less salubrious? If anyone could scratch this itch, then I’d be immensely grateful :D

6. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

I have a question, do we know who remastered the mono mix available on iTunes?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Most likely: Ron McMaster, in 2014.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  8. ModernBingFan0377

Ah thank you, I was wondering about that because it didn't sound drenched in no noise or like a needle drop. I very much enjoy the mono version, it sounds wonderful.

(Also did you ever get around comparing the sound quality on the different releases of Happy Holidays From Bing and Frank DVDs?)

Crimson Witch and CBackley like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I’m assuming from its date that the iTunes version is derived from the same source as the 2014 HD download (and mono LP by McMaster).

(Not yet: just returned home tonight.)

paulmock likes this.
  10. ModernBingFan0377

I wish we had gotten some more of those HD downloads, most of them replaced the current issues on iTunes and helped take away some of Norberg’s - monstrosities - I mean remasters.

(I had assumed you meant home from work or something, silly me.)

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  11. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I have the 2014 UMe LP of CFWM. Was it made from an analog master or the 2014 digital master?

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Yes.

Now as far as WHICH one.....I think it's a safe (but not assured) bet that Ron McMaster cut the lacquers from the tape reels that were likely sitting in the very same building as his lathe.

By the way, I am currently spinning the 1984 Dutch DMM (cut in Germany, where EMI had a VMS-80 lathe) stereo LP. Excellent. :)
    [​IMG]

CBackley, McLover and paulmock like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OOOOOOOH! Sounds tasty!

14. MLutthans

I love this album so much, it could be on a flexidisc stapled to an old copy of LIFE and I'd enjoy it! When it sounds GOOD, that's just icing on the cake. :)

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I agree! It is the PERFECT blend of Sinatra the Swinger and Sinatra the Romantic at the very height of his powers. It is IMHO his best album with May.

Please remember that Billy once said in an interview that his favorite off ALL of his arrangements was "Around the World"!:agree::eek:

Joel S, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For the Capitol era, Brad. Walsh good, Norberg, RUN!

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Since there has been the mention of "Do You Have Prince Albert In A Can?". I must post back the following answer, "Please Let Him Out"

MLutthans likes this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right. I have learned this right after I bought the Norberg CD of one of the albums I had the Walsh CD of as well as through info on the forum.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Interesting aside, Nat "King" Cole has a Zeiss-Ikon Contax III or IIIa camera around his neck. That cat had great taste in cameras and lenses, without a doubt.

jtaylor and MLutthans like this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Discogs lists the Dutch 1984 cut as mono. Is it actually stereo?

21. MLutthans

As with several of these Dutch DMM releases in the Sinatra series, it exists in both mono and stereo forms using the same artwork and catalog number. (!!) @mahanusafa02 has helped to sort this out over the years. From my site, and please see the "NOTE" near the bottom:
    Screenshot_20210727-095436~2.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    paulmock, CBackley and mahanusafa02 like this.
  22. MLutthans

23. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Apologies for hi-jack

but is the CD version of Come Fly With Me featured in the UK Capitol box different to the standalone 1987 Capitol CD with three bonus tracks?

24. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

They're apparently separate. @MLutthans has a write up on this album here:
    1958 - Come Fly with Me Stereo

raphph likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, they are different. See Matt’s (@MLutthans) Capitol Scorecard
    … and his album comparison pages: 1958 - Come Fly with Me Stereo

raphph and teag like this.