Austrian pressing of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SkyBlueShag, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I purchased a copy of Rebel Yell in the Mid 80s - Chrysalis - DIDX 000078 - Manufactured in Austria. Does anyone know if this something unusual and, more importantly, whether or not are there any sonic benefits?

2. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

As far as I know it's nothing special - at least not in European countries. It was the common issue of this album over here. Many cd's from the early and mid-eighties were pressed in Austria. I don't have the original cd of Rebel Yell anymore - replaced it for the remaster with extended tracklist - but I'm sure it was the Chrysalis you mentioned. I do have the original 11 of the best cd, of which the label also states that it's manufactured in Austria.
    When it comes to sonics - I can only compare the RY tracks from my remaster to the original 11 of the best cd. I think the original is a flat transfer, but it's pretty decent. The remaster has all the usual 'features' of a recent remaster, which means that it's quite a bit louder and sounds brighter. Still, the bottom end is better than the original.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

On the subject of Rebel Yell, I just obtained an original European issue. The disc was pressed in West Germany, and the catalog number is ACCD 1450. The inserts are very similar to the original U.S. issue and bear "DIDX 78".

Strangely, the disc has a large '3' at 10 o'clock and a large '4' at 2 o'clock. Also, the back cover of the booklet has the tracks divided into two lists, like sides 1 and 2 of a record. A large '3' appears next to the first list (first four songs) and a large '4' appears next to the second list (the last five songs). What do the 3 and 4 represent? It doesn't make sense for them to represent sides 3 and 4 of a record (i.e., a reproduction of the original LP artwork). Why would a single album be labeled sides 3 and 4?

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Keith, this was also featured on the LP and Cassette. Billy's first album had sides 1 & 2 on it and, for some reason, either Billy or the art designer thought that putting 3 & 4 would make it look as if Rebel Yell was the second disc of a double LP. I never owned the 3rd album, so I cannot tell you whether they stuck to that concept and put sides 5 & 6 on it instead of 1 & 2.

The 80's were an era where the sleeve's designers took things to another level, for better and for worse. What Hignosis and Roger Dean were to the 70's, Assorted Images and others of that breed.

5. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm deciding now what CDs in my library are worth replacing and which are worth keeping... although I cry at what I realize I already sold. Hindsight is 20/20.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Simon! I briefly considered that but dismissed it. When I showed the Rebel Yell disc to my wife the other day, she thought the same thing. Then we both thought, nah. Huh. Interesting!

I don't have the original West German pressing of the self-titled issue, so I wonder if it has the large 1 and 2. The original U.S. issues do not have these numbers.

7. Rather than start a new thread, I thought I might just latch on to this one...

I have what I think is an original US pressing of RY on vinyl.

Damn, that is one fine sounding LP. There are some good tunes on here, and I always was amazed at Steve Stevens playing. And again, it seems to have really solid production. Solid bass, crisp but not harsh highs....it just seems to work well on my rig.

Side question: Anyone have any thoughts about the BI VH1 Storyteller's disc; either sonics or performance? Its available on Yourmusic, but I have never seen that show.

Brian

8. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Back from the bowels of hell, this thread emerges!!!!

Question for Keith or anybody who knows the answer:

I found a Japan for USA Chrysalis CD today pressed by Sony (CSR in the plastic ring) with matrix code DIDX 78 11. I had never seen this version before and am curious if it's a rare one? It was in the original smooth top and in excellent shape. Who knows?

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

My cd copy of 'Whiplash Smile' (3rd album) has no 5 and 6 on the disc itself but inside the booklet there is that 5 and 6. Apologies for the image quality.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I hafta say Steve's mastering of that album kills!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.