The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

What magical coupon code for AT is this you speak of !?!?!?!?

2. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

That's the thing, I'm not sure it will work until I get to the end. It's an old code HALFOFFTW

recstar24 likes this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

HALFOFFTW did not work for me but TIM2020 (15%) did, but I passed for now.

Dignan2000 and recstar24 like this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The screws are for height adjustment not to move them out of alignment. If you get that much feedback I think something is wrong with at least that footer, but those feet on the GR are obviously vastly inferior to the G. It is pretty immune to feedback since placing mine 2 ft behind a speaker on a wheeled trolly and no other isolation has no obvious audible effect. I can feel little vibration getting to the plinth at decent volume levels. Maybe your TT is close to your subwoofer? Your best course of action might be to go to Isonoe feet (£114) or maybe try getting a replacement foot from Technics first.

recstar24 likes this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I have had zero issues with my GR regarding vibrations and feedback (my GR appears to have a similar placement as your G), but I agree that if I found the feet to be of any issue (which I don't), after exploring replacement options through technics, Isonoe would be my first go-to option.

displayname likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It’s not clear to me what’s under discussion re GR feet being loose, but they’re supposed to turn to allow for leveling adjustment. When mine was new, some of the screws were so tight that the feet wouldn’t turn. I had to put some pressure on the feet bottoms to get them to turn properly.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The user above that bought one for his father, he claims that when his dad opened up the new TT, one of the feet was already so loose that it just fell off.

Its hard for me to visualize that personally because mine was SUPER tight and I had to do that trick where you apply some pressure to the feet bottoms first in order to make it budge.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I put Isonoes on my GR and they absolutely live up to the hype.
    My deck sits on a 2+inch thick mesquite block shelf that is mounted to a 9.5"x9.5" timber support post, I'm on the 3rd floor of an old factory building and that post supports a HUGE roof support beam that is 16"x9".

The beam is about 3 feet from where the GR is and runs about 16 feet east where it is seated in the 2 (maybe 3) layer of brick exterior wall.
    How I mounted the shelf is not recommended at all, I took the cheap route instead of getting a proper bracket made, I bought 2 x 500lbs load bearing steel shelf brackets at the hardware store so I could just get this thing up.

Well as someone pointed out, these brackets ring like crazy and seem to actually amplify resonate vibrations. I found out when they were tuck pointing our exterior east wall a couple weeks ago via their pneumatic hammer or grinder that they were using to chip out mortar and brick right outside where the beam is seated in the wall.
    I put my hand on the beam and the vibration from that work outside was subtly there from 16' away and outside, it was a vibration in cadence with the sound of the hammer or chisel.
    I put my hand on the post and it was much less so but still subtly there, I put my hand on the bracket and it was vibrating a lot, as though it took what came from the post it's attached to and amplified it. The mesquite block shelf does not touch the post at all as it is resting via four heavy duty screw bolts w/brass washers on the brackets, so the shelf had a good deal of vibration going on from the brackets when felt.
    The outside housing of the Isonoe feet continued that when felt but much less so and back to subtle, touching the deck finally there was nothing at all, absolutely inert and still.

They work!

Edit: I don't have the Isonoes in the optional rubber boots w/ the 'lab glass' inserts, they are just straight as they come minus any additional.
    I recall the original feet (they are packed away in the factory box now) seeming to be better than I thought when I examined them after removal, who knows how well they would have handled this 'test'.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Oelewapper likes this.
  9. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Same, and my GR (I now have a 1210GAE) was on a credenza a mere 20 inches from my right Klipsch Cornwall III - a speaker w/ 102db efficiency and a 15" Woofer. I NEVER had any feedback no matter what I played (inc. bass-heavy techno, etc.). ..I think the standard feet worked great!

recstar24 likes this.
  10. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

When I unpacked my SL-1210GAE, one of the feet was quite loose. ..So much so it stayed in the bag as I unpacked the table. The other feet were turned in only on turn or so. ..So I simply tightened them and re-seated the loose foot. ..I didn't see this as a problem. ..figured the vibrations of shipment probably caused the foot to back out. No a biggie.

recstar24 likes this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The left, front corner of my GR is exactly 17.5 inches from the right rear corner of a Tekton Double Impact, albeit about 3/4 of the way up of the height of the speaker.

I never get any feedback, even with the lid up.
    If there were an actual wall behind all this maybe it would get some, but it's all open air at the edge of a deck.

12. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I am conciddering the isono feet, but at even loud listening volume it isn't presently a problem. Things have to be rediculously loud with a tannoy sub (on the floor quite a way from my deck) up to unlistenable levels for it to be a problem,
    and yet, knowing there could, potentially be a problem is annoying enough I may soon get isonos. Audio OCD or what?

13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yes. That is audio ocd.
    You stated there is no problem, yet you are considering a problem solver for a non problem.
    It's OK Robert, you are not alone...

14. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Well, color me skeptical but I wouldn't assume the people at isonos are better at making feet for a SL1210GR than the engineers at Technics.

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Isonoe feet have been around a long time. They are basically a fancy version of an old DJ trick, where you place the TT on a set of makeshift feet made of plastic ashtrays and rubber bands. These were originally meant for DJ use at very high volumes in a nightclub environment where feedback could be an issue. Gradually their popularity migrated to the audiophile market.

Since then a number of companies have marketed all sorts of aftermarket feet and isolation accessories. One solution I looked at was a set of sorborthane feet that wrapped around the stock ones. I don't really need them though. Right now I used stock feet that rest on industrial anti-vibration pads.

For most folks, the stock feet are going to be fine. I wouldn't bother with aftermarket feet unless you run into a problem, which is mostly going to be folks that listen at very high volumes. Even then, the problem may be addressed another way, depending on specifics.

Big Blue and Roycer like this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've confirmed improvements over stock with the Isonoes. I'm very happy with them.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

We are forgetting the most important aspect of the isonoes...

...they look super cool :cool:

18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - that is why I bought them - I was happy to see that they also helped isolate and convert to a suspended deck.

recstar24 likes this.
  19. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Another fan of the Isonoe feet here. I hesitated given the price tag but eventually caved and honestly, they're worth every penny - remarkable build quality for a small company.

recstar24 likes this.
  20. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

See, this is why I love you all here, you are my companions in audio OCD land!

ubiknik likes this.
  21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

FWIW, don't bother with the FunkFirm Boing feet.
    I had a set in my hands to look over one time and they use springs that are pretty lame.
    They had very uneven and poor build quality as well.
    They are to be avoided at all costs.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Tlay, recstar24, avanti1960 and 3 others like this.
  23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes, the silver ones are a nice match, but I don't really like those black ones.

recstar24 and FalseMetal666 like this.
  24. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I went with the black ones and I have to say that you're Objectively Wrong. Sorry!

25. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I had to remove my set of Isonoe feet, instead switching back to the original that came with the GR.
    The originals reduce acoustic feedback more than the Isonoe in my situation. Go figure.

Slick Willie likes this.