The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That is really odd. I used a seismic app to confirm the Isonoes were doing their job - playing a very bass heavy album extremely loud - I think 96dB - the graphs on the table flat x/y/z whereas on the rack - you could see the bass impact.

A fun experiment.

patient_ot and Oelewapper like this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Now that is very interesting. I think the originals are moveable/adjustable for a reason though and I'm not sure how adjustable the Isonoes are.

3. The Isonoes were developed for the SL-12xx MkII, which had awful blown plastic feet.
    The recent decks have had redesigned feet, more that a little bit inspired by the Isonoes.

Big Blue, recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yes up to a point. I noticed the oem GR feet actually are similar in that a foam block gets mushed between the lower foot structure and the table above, pretty much everything else is different.
    The main difference is that silicone suspended element, also the housing and little micro feet under the feet themselves is very different than the Technics rubber tire foot housing.
    I think in most situations the stock GR feet should work extremely well but the Isonoe just goes an extra mile (or kilometer or whatever).

5. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So an update: He tried to glue it back together but that didn't work either. Does anyone know where an extra 1200gr foot might be? Does anyone have 1 they wanna get rid of?

6. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  7. Just as a general FYI, the Isonoes come with different weight bearing capacity.
    Anyone playing with a SL-1200G, and possibly the SL-1200GR, might be better off going with the higher weight bearing version.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Isonoe feet were a standard recommendation for the poor rubber feet of the original SL1200. The feet on the 1200G at least in another league and don't see it necessary to replace them. I suppose you might be able to obtain the SL1000R feet used on the SL1210GAE but I doubt there is a huge difference. In bad circumstances money is probably better spent on an isolation shelf. A cheap effective solution is a an Ikea Aptitlig butchers block with cones or sorbothane isolators beneath. A lot cheaper than Isonoe feet.

Oelewapper likes this.
  9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I went with the higher weight Isonoes and and noticed much less feedback from sub when playing super loud.

10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Isonoe also has sorbothane pads to place under the Isonoe feet, I use them under my 1200G with the 25KG version of the isolation feet, since the stock 1200G is about 18KG:
    [​IMG]

There are two variants, with and without glass inlays.
    Without glass inlays, the feet are embedded into the sorbothane pads.
    I don't know which one is better, but the glass inlays are recommended for home use:
    Audio Isolation System - Isonoe Electronics

punkmusick and Dignan2000 like this.
  11. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I have an SL-1210GAE which, supposedly, has different feet from the G. ..Should I be noticing anything different/better with these feet?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  12. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

No idea, but even with wooden floors that conduct vibrations heavily the difference is barely audible.
    When I closed the door next to my the wallshelf my 1200G is on, I could hear it in the background.
    I couldn't hear it anymore, after installing both the Isonoe feet and sorbothane pads (yes, both and not just the feet, so maybe not a fair comparison).

You might be able to draw a conclusion from that, based on your own experiences with the 1210GAE.

13. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Finally getting this schiit together. Oyaide BR12 arrived So can compare 3mm 5mm technics and BR12. Step up tx for AT-ART9xa also looks (sounds?) promising.
    Need a bit of time to play.

The Dragon and Oelewapper like this.
  14. Jerry Snead

Jerry Snead Forum Resident

Hi just got a 1210GAE in the US which does not come with the cartridge that was offered in Europe, so sticking with the thought of
    matching that set up you can get the Nagaoka JT-80BK now from Japan on eBay around $650 shipped.
    Also looking at the Sumiko Amethyst y=that was mentioned a few pages back at around the same cost, thoughts?

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Those carts are likely made by the same OEM (Excel - Nagaoka mainly makes MI carts), someone would need to measure the Nag body to confirm inductance. It may well be the higher inductance body that is used on the lower end Sumiko cartridges. In any case, I don't think $650 for a cart with an elliptical stylus is a particularly good value, so I'd look elsewhere for a cartridge.

16. Jerry Snead

Jerry Snead Forum Resident

Yes that is probably correct they do look alike, and the stylus is better on the Sumiko, Thanks

patient_ot likes this.
  17. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

If you mean the Isonoe feet- would be very surprised if you did not get an improvement from them- they look cool too.:)

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You crayzee kids with yo' big checkbooks!
    :D

19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So my dad ended up ordering the Isonoe feet from KAB. He should have them before Thanksgiving. He wanted to get his new system set up before I come home for Thanksgiving so we can listen to records together. I feel extremely special to share the hobby with him :)

Sbcrue, Dignan2000, ubiknik and 9 others like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY THEY DO NOT LOOK AS COOL

T86911 and FalseMetal666 like this.
  21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:biglaugh:

Ya' know, I think many listen with their eyes!

Roycer, recstar24 and Oelewapper like this.
  22. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Anyone who is curious about the Isonoes should just get 'em.

If you honestly don't think they improve things, sell them on the forum here for 90% of the purchase price. They'll go in minutes, guaranteed, and your curiosity will be satisfied for a couple bucks.

Twinsfan007, recstar24 and Claude M like this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think I'm the one that mentioned the Amethyst.
    I've looked at a lot of carts and reviews of them since spring and I was hot on maybe checking this cart out but came across a negative review finally and then noticed that Pro-ject includes them on one of their tables, which doesn't mean anything really. I'm sure if set up right it could be a great sounding cart.
    The same company that makes the Amethyst also makes some Hana carts.
    The only thing I like from what I see on that newer Nagaoka JT-80BK is the captive nuts and the boron cantilever.
    It has the same cantilever and stylus as the Nag MP 200 from what I can tell, so it either has something a little extra inside the body or they possibly could basically perform and sound the same.
    Long story short is that if you want the money spent to go for something that tracks amazingly well then go for another cart, because most will say that the .4x.7mil ellipticals that Nag puts on all except the MP 500 can be prone to mis-tracking on tough inner groove lps. Others do say they can track just fine if set up properly, I think there is something to both sides of that.
    If I were you I would get either a VM540ML, a OC9XML or the top of the line Nag MP 500 which has a line contact diamond on a boron cantilever.
    In other words the best bang for the buck carts are the Audio Technicas in the under $1k range it seems, but people really, really like the Nagaoka MI sound.
    I think for myself I've actually boiled down my choice to the Nagaoka MP 200, mainly for the sound to enjoy/try and it's cheaper price. I'll pass the heavy tracking duties off to a VM95ML or the OC9 that I have. I've also talked about the AT7V, but in these times of economic insecurity it's one or the other and if I go for the AT7V I'll never get a taste of the Nagaoka sound, for awhile anyway.
    The AT33ptg/II also seems to be a real crowd pleaser...

Jerry Snead likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

JT series is Moving Magnet. MP series is Moving Iron.

ubiknik and Roycer like this.