Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Can’t wait to give these shows a play when I next have access to my MacBook (my girlfriend has been working from home since March and work are still refusing to give her a laptop so I’m severely restricted)

Hopefully there will be a way to eventually incorporate this into the apps.

I challenge anyone to try and justify NYA not being worth the subscription fee now.

ExHead, matt79rome89 and Biscuit1970 like this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I think that Paris 89 was a Broadcast too.

ARK and RoyalPineapple like this.
  3. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

...Says the man who has bought about 10 million dollars worth of merchandise in the last 6 months! :D ;)

Leg-pulling aside, I totally agree: I've argued in favor of adding a treasure chest of live tapes to NYA, but also of justifiably higher prices.

I'm very happy to see Neil's website exceeding expectations (very much including mine). But it needs to stick around, and that's more likely to happen if it's making a modest profit rather than a loss.

qtrules likes this.
  4. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Neil just gave us 11 hours of amazing live music in top quality audio, that's like 16 new albums FFS in one day. And presumably a lot more to come. Thank you Neil.

sonnyrock, WJA, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  5. RoyalPineapple

My review of the new concert feature:

Fantastic, superb, 10/10, extraordimundo!

(Ideally needs to be in included in the app, with track numbers).

How about this:

15 audio or video concerts a year, released at random intervals (including an allocation of "free" downloads), at 100 dollars a year?

I for one certainly wouldn't complain if it became reality.

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’d be in for that

oneway23 and RoyalPineapple like this.
  7. RoyalPineapple

Here's my comment from July 2019:

It is fantastic to see pretty much all of this now being brought to life.

(Am I taking credit? Yes, of course! ;)).

Sounds like a 2013 version of Year Of The Horse: AKA top class.

This really just opens up a whole world of possibility for NYA. So much of Neil's most exciting music has been recorded on the live stage.

8. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Reinforces for the zillionth time how much I just love Neil's music. Live is where Neil is at his excellent best and these shows are top notch choices. Warts and all is where it's at. Ramada Inn from Hunter Valley, NSW is spine tingling. Currently playing it very loud! Lucky neighbours.

Billy_Sunday, cosplusisin and qtrules like this.
  9. RoyalPineapple

One more comment before the angry crowd get on my back for posting too much:

1. Complaints about Neil's Archival release schedule being slow are now officially outdated.

2. The best time to subscribe to NYA was before the Rust Bucket, Buffalo and Greendale concert films were streamed. The second best time is now. It's worth it just for Ramada Inn from this new Alchemy gig.

NYA are rising to the occasion here, and that deserves the fans' support.

(If the website devolves into Warner-like antics then I will retract this statement).

THIS.

10. RoyalPineapple

The Paris 1989 tape, wonderfully, includes the songs that were missing from one of my favourite bootlegs.

(I still like the spacious, dreamy sound of the old bootleg, but this new version sounds good, too).

Neil and his crew really understand that live recordings need some warm-sounding reverb in order to sound realistic.

oneway23 and Biscuit1970 like this.
  11. fried

fried Forum Resident

Good spot! Would never have noticed those new boots on the incredibly poor Bluos app and nearly as bad android app. Actually had to open my laptop and stream Bluetooth out to listen.

Paris 1989 is sounding mighty fine so far. Cheers to the eagle-eyed obsessives who found them.

ARK likes this.
  12. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

On fire!!
    Great concert!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

This is classic Neil Young - releasing a batch of live shows just a day or two before Archives II hits. Going to dive into the 2001 concert.

WJA, JoeRockhead, oneway23 and 5 others like this.
  14. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

This is such great news. Can't wait to get into these.

andyediewatt and RoyalPineapple like this.
  15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m going to email the requests for the shows I’ve seen.

One of them being Hyde Park 2014 with a unique band due to Billy’s stroke. It also had a near 30 minute Down by the River encore

I may gift my friend a subscription so he can experience all of this

16. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I'm gifting a few for Christmas.

17. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Before you buy, may want to wait for the announcement of new tiers that Neil says is coming in "a couple of weeks" - he previously said the concert streams would be part of a new, middle RUST tier above the basic subscription. (In the meantime, your friend and anyone else can listen for free since the concerts are currently among the NYA features available to non-subscribers, though doubt that will last long.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  18. coldnebraskablue

coldnebraskablue Forum Resident

The July 3rd Sweden show is immense!

19. fried

fried Forum Resident

Y
    Yeah, this is superb and I'm only up to Pocahontas!

qtrules likes this.
  20. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Very excited about these live shows. Listening to the Alchemy show and it sounds killer so far! Interestingly enough, before I even knew he added these shows, I sent in a request last night for the 11/20/73 Chicago show with the infamous 35+ minute "Tonight's the Night". I doubt he'll upload that one, but it's worth a shot!

I wish the "snowflake" icons were a bit larger, but my guess is that this concert option is still in beta. Can't wait to hear what other live goodies he pulls out of the archives.

Edit: This "Love and Only Love" from A Day on the Green is just nuts!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Twinge Crispy likes this.
  21. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Only the Roxy shows were recorded.

Echoes71 likes this.
  22. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Ah, that's right. Oh well....The existing recording of that show is pretty rough, so I was hoping for maybe even a slightly better recording, maybe as part of the "bootleg series."

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That was my thinking as well. Last update said the new tiers should be coming in next couple of weeks I think.

24. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Starting to wonder if anyone here has actually seen a snowflake before. (Hint: They do NOT look like little wirebound tour itinerary ledgers ;))

[​IMG]

25. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Honestly, he most likely isn’t aware of all of the shows that are circulating as bootlegs. Especially ones from later in his career where other things (ie his family) were vying for his attention to where he had way less time to focus on things like what shows were circulating as boots.