Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I purchased a promo cd of the Flaming Pie album at a mall record show a good month before its official release.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

For sure. I had the pleasure of listening to "Memory Almost Full" and "Kisses On The Bottom" before they were released and in full, without having heard a single song from them before.

3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Mc III colored vinyl of the day...…………….

[​IMG]

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"It's Penus versus Peen-THEM!"

5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Given your views on the discussion of whether McCartney broke the lockdown rules, I'm surprised you see knob jokes as being more appropriate/acceptable posts. But that's me :cheers:

6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

It seems the discourse around here could really take a leak right about now...

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ween us
    Between us
    Seen us
    Clean us
    Mean as
    Genus
    Heinous
    Cleanness
    Cleanest
    Meanest
    Spleen is
    Queen is

8. tug_of_war

:rolleyes:

MPLRecords likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

:righton:

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Once more, context is everything. Seeing these two posts next to each other just makes me think of... well...
    [​IMG]

But that's probably inappropriate.... :hide:

11. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Where did they leak? I couldn't find them 2 years ago during that time

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. Thanks, can’t see it here on IPad, I think I’ll seek it out after I hear the album, which might make it funny by then.

13. Each review should disclose the following regarding listening conditions - (let alone corporate conflict of interest possibilities.):

Equipment they listened on, no matter whether it was played on a grand stereo system in an acoustic friendly room, or over a telephone call on a desk phone or somewhere in-between.

How many times did they hear the album?

Did the have access to the lyrics? Recording info on personnel, equipment?

What info in review was provided by the record company ?

jmxw and James McCartney like this.
  14. jacden

jacden Senior Member

15. tug_of_war

Rupert & Paul at the speed of sound!!!

16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes. And they should fill out their equipment page... wait... :p

Paperback Writer likes this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I hope Paul doesn't get too dizzy....

18. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Someone sent me a Google Drive link via Twitter. Origin unknown.

19. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I got sent a link to a Google Drive in late August 2018 by a forum member in this very thread ;)

I think it was secretly recorded from a listening party in Europe, but not sure.

20. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Fortunately , he's developed a natural immunity from dealing with Miss Lizzy all these years.

Wingsfan2012, Beatlesfan123 and jmxw like this.
  21. Callum Mylott

Callum Mylott Well-Known Member

Hey guys why dont we make a new forum dedicated McCartney iii instead of talking in this Covid/Lockdown forum.....

22. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And two years later, I want to thank him again for doing it at the time. Well done, mate!

tug_of_war, Victor46542 and BuCo like this.
  23. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I just looked through my old private messages and the link he sent me still works after all this time :laugh:

Thank you █████ for your service to the community :righton:

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Random answers to some of last night’s questions.
    - The Long Tailed Winter Bird bits from the trailer sound like the same recording, but heavily edited and mixed differently (for instance no "yeah yeah yeah's" on the album version, I think).
    - No, the bass is not particularly in evidence. Some nice little melodic and sonic touches here and there (especially on the first two tracks). Otherwise, the drums are often left “naked”, sometimes with no bass at all. An upright bass (supposedly Bill Black's) is featured on Women and Wives.
    - Find My Way has heavy drum loops, quite reminiscent of mid-90’s Beck. That song has like 1000 instrumental and vocal hooks, harpsichord, synths horns, surf guitars, you name it, the melody and groove are infectious. It concludes with a pretty cool guitar(s) coda. This is the one I could see released as a single, but I hope he decides against it and just gets the album out. There’s no “theme” or concept here, but there’s definitely a flow that is best experienced in one sitting.
    - As far as guitars are concerned, there's some good bluesy soloing at some point in Deep Deep Feeling, not too different from his C-link work from Egypt Station. Otherwise, we get two big electric guitar songs: 1/ the heavy Slidin’ (not a particular favorite of mine, but still a strong track and Paul plays a good solo in his characteristic style) and 2/ the little nugget Lavatory Hill, 2'30'' of pure groovy rock’n’roll joy, with distorted but dry guitar licks and some snarky singing that really blew my mind. All vocal questions are settled right there…
    - There’s nothing Beatlesque on the set in my opinion, except When Winter Comes, done in that wonderful “back to Rishikesh” Flaming Pie vein. So really, more than “Beatlesque”, it’d be best described as “Paul and an acoustic guitar”.
    - Lots and lots of woohoos (among other "ooh yeah", "ratatata", "chickachick" flourishes) everywhere.
    - There is no piano ballad on the LP. Only Women and Wives has piano as the lead instrument, but it’s not a ballad, more a gothic blues in an unusual rhythmic pattern (that I’m not technical enough to describe) with a stunning melody, sung in a deep deep voice. It’s an outstanding track, mesmerizing, unlike anything he ever did, yet unmistakably “McCartney”. For me it’s the best song here, and a new entry in a never-ending string of classics.

25. tug_of_war

Wow!!! Thank you once more @Fortuleo
    May I ask you just one question? How about the overall sound? I think "Egypt Station" is too loud. What about "McCartney III"?

Rapol93, SRC and Callum Mylott like this.