Just received the new Music Direct yearly catalog in the mail.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Nov 17, 2020.

1. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

These things are so cool, got my first one last year.

Reminds me of being a kid in the late 70’s and going through the stereo/electronic catalog from some big retailer in my area (forget the name) before Christmas. That’s how I picked out one Toshiba Receiver 8 track turntable all in one unit probably when I was 8 or 9. Then later, a Full Sony Combo with separate turntable, tuner, receiver, dual cassette, Sony speakers and Sony glass front rack. That lasted all the way through highschool (even have it stashed in the attic).

I do miss the Needle Dr. Website though.

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I got mine a few days ago. I always look forward to it. It’s a beautiful thing.

3. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Thanks for mentioning this! I used to get the Music Direct catalog at my old address, but haven't received one since I moved (late 2017). I went to their web site, requested a 2021 catalog and signed up for their email newsletter.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  4. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

Do you need to request one or are they sent to recent customers? My last purchase was in August.

5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I got mine yesterday and almost started a thread on it. Quite a beautiful catalog. Anyone with printing knowledge guess what that costs them?

BRick and Slimwhit33 like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I binned mine unopened. I wish they'd stop sending them. Nice catalogs but I don't look at them any longer.

7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

You should have taken it to an Audiophiles Anonymous meeting, and knocked everyone off the wagon...! :cussing:

8. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I think they're great. I just noticed, that they list all of the Technics turntables in the catalog. But they don't have any listed on their website which I think is odd, are they not allowed to sell them that way? Same prices as anyone else.

9. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Call them and get off of the list.

10. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

They go into my pile of stuff to read while sitting on the toilet.

11. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Mine went straight into the recycle bin. Unnecessary when I already recieve semi-daily emails from them.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's a beautiful catalog. I enjoy the cover photo they choose every year. This year took me a second wondering if that was really Paul Simon..especially since S&G were just on the cover of another recent one. Mine stays on the coffee table the entire year. Nice for browsing music too.

dman23, Armjim, WapatoWolf and 9 others like this.
  13. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Mine will remain out and accessible as well, for casual browsing. I do the same thing with my back issues of Atomic Ranch. I like to keep them out on the coffee table and end tables and flip through them often for inspiration.

bloodlemons, bajaed, OC Zed and 4 others like this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Not my problem. I've never ordered from them. Have no idea how I would have gotten on their catalog list.

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Gave ours away

16. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Recycling bin or garbage bin?

Do you have any friends or family members that are interested in music? It would be better to pass the catalog along to them instead of tossing it. If I got one and didn't want/need it, I'd pass it along to my nephew, who has recently gotten into vinyl (I gave him 42 albums to get him started), or maybe a co-worker, friend's daughter (who I just gave a dozen albums to), etc. I know so many people that are getting into vinyl, especially younger people, any of them would welcome a copy of this catalog.

17. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Wishing they'd stop sending you the catalog isn't going to stop them from sending the catalog.

18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Browsing the MD website today. There are a lot of titles back ordered or awaiting re-press, especially MoFi.

19. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Got mine too. A couple of years ago I brought it to the office and put it in the break room. It was interesting to see the responses of people to audiophile equipment who never gave it a thought.

OC Zed, Twinsfan007 and rischa like this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Have you ordered anything from Drop (aka Massdrop)?
    If you have, that is probably how you got on the Music Direct catalog mailing list.

Teguh singgih likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yup. Still, not my problem.

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Nope.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Garbage. We don't do recycling here.

Other than my immediate family (who listen to music on their phones and are uninterested in audio systems), no. I live in a rural area of a rural state and covid and the political response to it has shut down my real life social network. As I think about it, I don't know a single person who owns a stereo system or is interested in listening to music in some sort of audio (HT) system.

24. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Bummer, I haven't been in three office since early March. I used to keep catalogs of equipment and albums (Audio Adviser, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, etc.) on top of the credenza in my office. All the cool, young people I worked with used to come by a flip through the catalogs.

I even had a small Technics SL-5 linear tracker, a Sherwood S-7100A and a pair of Snell Type K/II in my office for spinning tunes. One of the young hipsters had a Crosley in her office. She eventually got something better. Don't recall what it was.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    domfjbrown and OC Zed like this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The cost per book depends on the size of the print run, but it's definitely not a cheap piece to produce, especially when you factor in the cost of contracting a team to collect image assets, copyedit, and lay it out.

It's a pretty complicated piece to design, lots and lots of little images.

Tullman, IRG and JackG like this.