Cancelled Television Shows - Ongoing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, May 22, 2020.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It just sounded like a boring show in general.

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I caught the first episode and while my expectations were low it was better than I expected but not enough for me to maintain any interest in it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh well - orders get canceled all the time...:shrug:

:D

8. Dillydipper

Interrogation canceled on CBS AllAccess. My guess is nobody noticed...and there will not be an investigation. (How long again, until AllAccess reboots itself, again...? Something about re-christening itself "Paramount"-something...?)
    HBO is dropping The Outsider, leaving it to shop for other venues.

9. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Season 1 did the American Horror Story thing of starting good before going off on a tangent and finishing weak.

Season 2 was top notch. Tim Robbins' character was really well written.

kevywevy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Hey, maybe I ought to leave this up here someplace...lists cancellations and renewals as soon as announced by the majors and minors:
    2020-21 TV Season Scorecard

11. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Just share the cost with a friend. They don't even have to be in the same country.

12. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

utopiarun and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Oh man. Filthy Rich got canceled? That is a fantastic series.

Sorry to see Bosch leaving after this season. But it’s had a damned good run.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Guess it lost its spark.

Adam6437 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This the thing I have been thinking about for awhile.
    Network tv is dying a slow death cable still have some life in it.
    And streaming .. shows only last as much subscribers..
    in that is question so in future just streaming a cable?

16. Dillydipper

I don't know how streaming services like Netflix and Amazon have changed the game, but before this, your typical casting contract usually commits the actor for five seasons. Now, this means two things: either the series is so successful that actors get to re-negotiate...or, the series has to change somehow.

This could mean, your standard predictable trope of, "well next season, the Big Bad starts working with the Scooby Gang in order to defeat the 'real threat'"...or, whomever you've been working with turns out to be the danger...or, various characters begin to lessen their significance in the overarching plot, to shine a spotlight on newer characters (who just signed their own five-year deals, therefore won't be an immediate drag on the show's finances if they become popular).

Most importantly, the show has to change, on the general basis of the "first bowl of ice cream rule": once you've been surprised and delighted by the taste, the second bowl, even as delightful as it is, will never again surprise you. So, a procedural has to focus more on the overarching story arc: the character focus must change; the basic things that established the shows' significance in the audiences' mind, must take a back seat to some other character of the narrative. In basic terms, it's not enough to just have a likeable show...you have a better chance of longevity by getting the audience to like it again, than you do to have them keep liking it.

And there are always die-hards who intuit the necessary changes of the show as, "the show has lost its' way", just on the basis that it's not that same first bowl of ice cream. These people, while perhaps the most fervent supporters as the show as it started, cannot grasp the significance that, they've already had that first bowl, and other viewers (particularly newer ones just jumping on), may not be in that place yet.

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and Atmospheric like this.
  19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Paramount Plus (+)

I think the general public is confused by all the consolidation, how WB stuff is on HBO Max and that CBS All Access is rebranding itself to Paramount + following the re-merger of Viacom and CBS.

Dan

MikaelaArsenault and Dillydipper like this.
  20. Dillydipper

It's not their fault they can't follow the mergings and divestitures of what media moguls own and what they trade away. Hasn't been more difficult to track at any other time in history.

21. Dillydipper

Maybe those little strings through his belt loops finally stopped amusing him.

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The gong show, the new one

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope. Still one of Amazon Prime's best properties, both critically and in terms of viewership. But in the inscrutable world of streaming services, it isn't deemed essential to pulling in new eyeballs at this point.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Soap operas are doing very badly in the ratings in the U.S. Even the ones that survive, like Days of Our Lives, has had its budget cut and characters dropped in order to save money. They're struggling to survive.