The Kinks 2018 digital (streaming/download) remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Just got The Kinks Are Well Respected Men on PRT. Very very good compilation - basically the Kinks' version of Past Masters, every non-album track released to that point (or, at least, most of them), presented chronologically, all in mono. Biggest problem I've found so far is a bunch of distracting volume fluctuations all throughout "A Well Respected Man" - I'm going to have to do my own edit to fix that, but I don't have the patience for that now.

Does anybody have any recommendations for the best-sounding CD/digital version of the mono mix of "David Watts"? According to Dave Emlen's site, its first appearance was in 1997 on an EMI comp CD, which I would imagine is at least similar to the 1998 remaster (which is awful). I'm trying to make a compilation of all my favorite Kinks tracks, mono up through "Days" (chronologically) and the rest in stereo, with the best/most consistent sound possible. "Stop Your Sobbing" and "David Watts" seem to have been stereo-only until the '98 series - at least I was able to get the mono "Sobbing" from the hi-res, but "David Watts" remains elusive.

2. InStepWithTheStars

3. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

There is one up for sale now
    I should probably jump on it?

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Well Respected Man also had volume fluctuations on the Reprise/Rhino CD as did several other tracks in that series. Supposedly Shel Talmy was involved in the mastering of that set of CDs. I can only think that the fluctuations are on the master tape or the copy that was used for the masterings. Is it also on the Kinks Anthology and the 2cd Sancyuary releases?

5. InStepWithTheStars

Don't know about Anthology, but it doesn't have those volume issues on the 2011 deluxe or The Essential Kinks. I'm sure it's inherent in the tape, like that spike at the beginning of "Got My Feet On The Ground", but it sounds better fixed. Oh well. Better to be flat than overdone, I guess.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  6. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

In case anyone is interested, The Kink Kronikles has been released on iTunes, HDTracks and the like, sporting "2020 Remaster".

funhouse, maui jim and sharedon like this.
  7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

CD quality, though.

I wonder if a CD release is in the works.

Keith V likes this.
  8. GetHappy!!

Doubtful. These were most likely the files that were used for the recent Record Store Day edition. In fact, the tracklist sequence matches the auto-coupled (A/D, B/C) nature of the RSD vinyl, not the original CD release.

JakeM and JediJoker like this.
  9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thanks for the heads up!

GetHappy!! likes this.
  10. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thanks. Intersting on heels of RSD release. Has anyone listened to the iTunes release?

11. GetHappy!!

I took a casual listen, sounds okay. Seems like it comes from better sources than the original CD, no dropout in the beginning of “Victoria”, etc. It’s also available on Tidal in Master form, which is interesting in that if you analyze the file, it’s 24/44.1, although the download sites only have it for sale as 16/44.1.

Maffune and maui jim like this.
  12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Great to have this version in digital formats! A few observations.

Lost opportunity to use the rare stereo Dead End Street. But at least the stereo Holiday in Waikiki is finally streaming, given the error on streaming versions of Face to Face deluxe. Coca Cola version of Lola. Mono versions of Sunny Afternoon, Mindless Child, and Wonderboy, fwiw. Wonky sound at beginning of Mr. Pleasant, for some reason.

The running order, as noted above, isn't really right.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Keith V, maui jim and GetHappy!! like this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

As far as I know, there is not a stereo version of "Sunny Afternoon". I'm also unaware of a stereo "Dead-End Street", but I'm not totally confident in that.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There is a stereo Dead End Street as discussed here:

Kinks "Dead End Street" - first time stereo mix?

The stereo Sunny Afternoon is on FTF deluxe, which also has the stereo This Is Where I Belong.

15. InStepWithTheStars

Are either of these previously released, though, or new remixes done after the original singles/albums came out?

16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Sunny Afternoon was previously released and is not new or a remix. As I said, and said in the linked info, however, there was an opportunity to use Dead End Street in the rare and new stereo mix, not available in digital formats.

In any case, not all the mixes used in this version match exactly those that appear on the original vinyl, but as far as I can tell there are new remasters, but no remixes, here. The existing CD doesn't match the original vinyl, either... not that I think they should all match, necessarily.

:tiphat:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  17. GetHappy!!

I think the key element here is that Warners put this together outside of the normal team that has been working on The Kinks for the last 10 years, namely Andrew Sandoval. When the vinyl edition was first announced, I asked Sandoval on Twitter if he was involved, and he said (paraphrasing) he wasn’t, but he wished he was asked.
    So most likely Warners either received digital transfers for the material, or worked with whatever tapes they had. I lean towards the former, as the tapes Reprise had for the vinyl and later the CD (differences as noted) were not in the best of shape.

maui jim and sharedon like this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Following

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

But are you dedicated and fashionable as well?

20. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Is there anything unique on this new "Kronikles" download that doesn't appear on any of the latest remastered cds (albums & anthology) ?

Thanks !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I don't think so, but if the Sandoval remasters have not been used here AND one believes the "2020 remaster" tag on these tracks, I suppose it's possible that this constitutes a unique set of remastered tracks. To my ears these tracks don't sound quite like Sandoval's (not as good, IMO, if you A/B them). But I think GetHappy1 is right about what they had to work with, etc.

But no new mixes, to answer the question. Still a nice set to get these tunes all in one place if you can't bother with all the reissues and deluxes, and want something rather better sounding, albeit with different mixes, than the old CDs.

smiley69, Keith V and GetHappy!! like this.
  22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

This album was my gateway drug from casual fan to semi serious fan so I was pleased to find the Spotify version today

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Me, too! That said, I'd previously made my own KK Spotify playlist using mixes I prefer of each song (from the Sandoval reissues and his Anthology set) - and I still like it.

Keith V and GetHappy!! like this.
  24. GetHappy!!

And I should add, non-analytically, that it's nice to have a new version of what I feel is the greatest compilation (from any artist) of all time!

Keith V likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

They should do us a favor and put the Great Lost Kinks Album up. I love that one.

Stat1516, GetHappy!! and sharedon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.