CHRISTMAS 2020: Santa's Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgoodwin22, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Yeah, you might have trouble finding the master tapes:

"In 1969, The Longines Symphonette Society was included in a Congressional investigation of lotteries, sweepstakes, and deceptive marketing practices, and consumers complained that the Larchmont based record company, like other mail order companies, sent unsolicited merchandise to people’s homes. The local record company at the address not found on any map, came to an end in 1974."

Hep Alien, Shawn, noirbar and 2 others like this.
  2. Scourge

Here's a New York Times article from 1970 on The Longines Symphonette Society, prior to any knowledge of an investigation apparently:

Longines Is Ticking With Taped Tunes (Published 1970)

Sounds like they were legitimate for a time, possibly up until they purchased the Capitol Record Club, which sounds like it was a forerunner of something like Columbia House.

Hep Alien, Shawn, noirbar and 2 others like this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

All the Bs for me: Bach Christmas Oratorio and the Beach Boys (summer here at Chrissie).

RSteven likes this.
  4. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

With a sound like that they can deceive me all they want! Just grabbed this off Discogs after previewing a couple sides. Thanks for the recommendation.

noirbar and RSteven like this.
  5. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Two arts to this post:

My Go - TO Christmas trilogy is:

Nat King Cole ~The Christmas Song (always our first play on Thankgiving, vinyl of course.)

Ben Keith and Friends ~ Seven Gates ( the friends include Neil Young and... this gem is my all time fave and criminally overlooked. Note recent reissue retitles it as...)

Vince Giraldi ~A Peanuts Christmas ( A Jazz Genius and A Beagle... who´dda thunk this combo would make such musical magic, which never fails to make me smile.)

I noted that the first page of this thread, from early November, has a number of posts from folks who had lost: parents, relatives, loved ones, friends, and or Hope.

I offer up my most sincere condolences on your losses and this hopeful, practical, free and easy Healing Salve for the Christmas Blues (and belated bereavement):

Walking Outdoors.

Spend more time this time of year, in this most insane of years especially, in the ¨real world¨ and NOT in Cyber Space.

This place is great, kin small doses... BUT you can NOT beat Mother Nature.

Shut the computer down, if it is dark and cold and wet outside, read a good book, spin a good record or Cd, make some tea, or have a drink and chillax in a fave sweet spot.

BUT, if it is daylight, get out of the house!!! Go for a walk. In The City, walk to a local or fave park or walking path thru woods, up hills, etc. If you are in the country, walk or drive to some hiking trails. Nothing, NOTHING beats Mother Nature and her Healing Salves of Greens, and Blues and Multi-Colored Sunsets. 100% sure to help your Blues.

Now, let´s all sing along:::... ¨Have Your Self a very Covid Christmas, Keep those masks on tight...¨

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Henley, Nogoodnik, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  6. Scourge

Feel like I should shout out a few specific albums myself that I love, concentrating on country for this post:

Christmas with Buck Owens & His Buckaroos
    [​IMG]

Loretta Lynn - Country Christmas
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Dean's Christmas Card
    [​IMG]

Christmas with Chet Atkins
    [​IMG]

Ferlin Husky - Christmas All Year Long
    [​IMG]

7. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

We are all Ferlin on the cover of that LP.

Scourge and RSteven like this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Lovely sentiments, indeed. However, here in Los Angeles and all of SoCal we are this close to a lockdown. We are being asked/directed to remain indoors and only go outside for essential things such as grocery shopping or medical/dental essential appointments. So, as I have been since March 15th, I shall remain "self-isolated" except for some end-of-year medical exams and weekly grocery shopping.

WHMusical likes this.
  9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

STILL no Chris Isaak Christmas on Vinyl! -WTF?

10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The Jethro Tull Christmas Album - the last Tull album:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The album that this piece of wonderful comes from;

Hep Alien and Marvin like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Two of my all time favorite holiday instrumental albums come from the great Mantovani, whose Christmas Carols (overall, his finest effort) and Christmas Greetings From Mantovani are two of the most lush and sumptuous albums you will ever hear around the holidays. Even though I consider his first holiday LP the superior one, I have always been awestruck by the sheer beauty and majesty of his own original song from his second holiday album, Christmas Bells.

13. Scourge

I literally just finished listening to several Mantovani Christmas albums. Great stuff!

Shawn, noirbar and RSteven like this.
  14. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Griffith Park? B4 Lockdown...

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How could I possibly forget the most "unique" of the orchestral Christmas albums of all time?

[​IMG]

This was recorded way back when smoking weed was considered a sin and was only recorded in glorious monaural sound. But, it offers a dozen of the more traditional Holiday tunes taken at a pace so slow you'd think you're on your second bowlful! Wait till you hear his rendition of "Jingle Bells". Oh, and there's "Hercules" playing the electric celeste. "Tis a once in a lifetime Holiday experience, folks......

16. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Santa's Pandemic?
    [​IMG]

As for music, I've never been one for Christmas music. When I do go that direction, it's usually something a little more irreverent:

lemonade kid, stratmel, J_D__ and 3 others like this.
  17. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member Thread Starter

Currently enjoying this nice little Rhino compilation that came out in 2014 "Soul Christmas"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Okay guys, I broke down and put on RGM Christmas Carols tonight (I usually wait until the Friday before Thanksgiving to start the season, but what's a couple days...)

Beautiful. Music and recording.

RSteven likes this.
  19. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Hot Jazz For A Cool Night: A Jazz Christmas

paulmock likes this.
  20. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

juanmanuel, paulmock and RSteven like this.
  21. Scourge

He actually has a couple and they're both excellent! Like late night Christmas Eve listening with some brandy type of mood. Love them!

22. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

It's probably already been mentioned but The Beatles' Christmas Album and the Christmas Time Is Here Again edit:
    Ringo's Christmas album is a blast as well. So are all the others' songs, like Merry X-Mas (War Is Over) and Wonderful Christmastime. I'm sure everyone already knows them, but HEY what's the harm. It's Christmas.

Hep Alien and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Here are 3 more of some nice holiday albums! First one is Patti Page---1959 in mono...actually well-recorded and sounds fantastic! I also added 2 Arthur Fiedler Christmas Albums! I really enjoy his arrangements and they sound superb! (and you have to love the covers for Arthur!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Scourge

25. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Get the reissue:[​IMG]