Just received the new Music Direct yearly catalog in the mail.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Nov 17, 2020.

1. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I usually leave my MD catalog on the kitchen table. That way, I can scan through it, while goodies are simmering on the stove. A feast for the eyes, and the taste buds. :cool:

jonwoody, krambigmac and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's your reluctance to drop a 10 second email to ask them to not send it that's off-putting. MORE TRASH FOR ALL!!! I guess since it's not your problem then who cares.

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I noticed that 150$ HEX mat is described as a clamping device in the catalog,
    but isn't it just a mat??

4. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I also just received a beautifully photographed and printed 150+ page catalog from retailer/custom installer ListenUp, focusing on high-end home audio and AV systems. (Online version is here.) Very nicely done, although my home isn't even in the same league as those pictured. (Makes me want to get a bigger house.)

5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

the best always bubble to the top

jonwoody, Otlset and bever70 like this.
  6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Outlandos d'Amour was the first album I ever bought. Still have it. Before that, I was all about the 8-track tapes. Don't still have them.

7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

We all receive print catalogs that we did not order or do not want. What I do (and recommend) rather than binning them is to pass the catalog to someone who wants it. An email or two or three, a passing mention during a phone call and the catalog will have a home and at least be skimmed before it goes into the recycling bin. Just a suggestion.

jonwoody likes this.
  8. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

@luckybaer you like Charlie Daniels band I see

luckybaer likes this.
  9. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I got two copies the same day (addressed exactly the same). They must REALLY want me to order!

Big Blue, jonwoody, luckybaer and 2 others like this.
  10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Like I said in this thread already, I live in a rural area of a rural state. I'm not spending part of my life solving other people's problems. You live in Toronto so you can do what you like. My catalogs are thrown in the trash without a second thought as is all the junk mail.

luckybaer likes this.
  11. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I have a job, a wife, a teenage son, and a son in college. I take care of my 85 year old mom. I do the yard, laundry, minor repairs, etc. around the house. I serve as a tutor for my youngest, honest consultant for my eldest, and I help my wife with her business’ finances. I have to manage our financial accounts, file all our taxes, and pay our obligations timely.

I don’t THINK I’m that different from millions of other Americans. Maybe times have passed me by? I doubt it.

I’m glad some folks have time to reach out to their social networks and neighbors to see if they want a particular catalog. I just don’t have the time to put that very high on my list of to-do’s.

I WILL take the time to ask companies to take me off their snail mailing lists.

The recycling bin is there for a reason - follow reduce/reuse/recycle.

If anyone in my social network cared enough about a particular hobby or online vendor, they can make contact and get their own catalog.

Disclaimer: I gave catalogs to a co-worker who was getting into another hobby I had. It required little to no effort on my part, though. The mutual interest literally came up during water cooler talk.

Noel Patterson and jonwoody like this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

And seeing them within an “antiquated” technology, as thick printed catalogs seem to be!

Linger63, Otlset and jonwoody like this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do think it probably would have taken less time and effort than posting in this thread...

Honestly, I don’t “unsubscribe” from unsolicited print, either. It just doesn’t occur to me to do so. You want to send me a yellow pages even though I’m just going to google any business I want to call anyway? OK, that’ll just be a useless thing I have in the house for a couple of years until I get around to recycling it.

How this has anything to do with the MusicDirect catalog, though, I am struggling to understand. It’s just so fun to look through, even if not buying anything!

14. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Drama queen. Can’t be bothered so it’s not your problem? Toronto, NYC, flyover country, rural rural. Still all one country and all one planet, right?

Well maybe sometimes it’s not a bad thing to go out of your way to contribute to being part of a solution rather than perpetuating something, that to you, is useless and is therefore wasteful. Doing a small act, like reducing waste or lowering your carbon footprint, by stopping a catalog you don’t wanna get, is not a bad thing to do. Small acts contributing to positive intent is a life well lived.

Back to topic: I’m a MD customer. Nice catalog and I like receiving it, enjoy browsing the stuff and appreciate the work they put into creating it.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I received the MD catalog yesterday. I display it on my poor excuse of a coffee table. I've ordered from MD a bit over the years. Excellent company with great customer service!

action pact and Big Blue like this.
  16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

No doubt you're right in sync with Idaho state policies:

Recycling in Idaho - Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

"Who is in Charge of Recycling in Idaho?
    Recycling, like garbage collection in Idaho, is an optional service provided at the discretion of local governments or by private recycling companies. Although the state has no mandated waste diversion goal, pollution prevention and recycling are supported and encouraged through public education and outreach activities conducted by DEQ."

Good luck with all of that.

IRG, schwaggy and Tullman like this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Thank you. We prefer it to what you are forced to deal with. :)

Doc Diego and Kyle Mooney like this.
  18. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Thanks for the sanctimonious lecture, Bret.

Whatever happened to live and let live? You want to go balls to the wall reduce/reuse/recycle? Knock yourself out. Not everyone is a fervent acolyte of the environmental movement.

Let the forum’s resident “shakes fist at cloud” persona chuck the doorstop in his trash if that’s what he wants to do.

In this day and age we could all use a little less pretentious virtue signaling - from everyone, regardless of where they stand.

19. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Hmmm, you know, that's true!

Big Blue likes this.
  20. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That's what you don't seem to understand. Nobody forced me to deal with the three Rs. Nobody had to. Sometimes, as @carbonti already posted, we have to do things even though (or because) they benefit someone or something other than ourselves.

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Straight up garbage in here. You can virtue signal my *******.

22. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I checked the mail today and no catalog. I would never have even thought about it but now you guys have made me really crave one! :p

Big Blue, krambigmac and Agitater like this.
  23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I love this post! Seriously. In two, short sentences - eleven words in total - there's a baseless accusation, a conclusion beret of so much as a single fact, a baseless assessment of intent, a veiled personal insult, and a masked epithet. Only two simple sentences, yet every single word was wrong. Astonishing.

On top of it all, it's hard to tell if @Synthfreek was railing at the laissez faire or at the environmentalism. Such is excessive vitriolic brevity in that it is often impossible to determine what the poster actually means.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  24. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

This sounds like a vinyl vs digital thread.

Lucca90 and bever70 like this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

No wonder I just put you on ignore, "Agitater". Appropriate username, eh? :)

Doc Diego and Agitater like this.