Vinyl so expensive rant

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by cawley1980, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Exactly, with the dollar worth 1/3 of what it was 30 years ago, paying $40 for a clean copy of Animals or Queen is Dead is not that as abusive as it looks.

Do you want it, or do you think waiting for another 5 - 10 years will make the prices go down????

Ere, McLover and Aftermath like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You just have to look for something other than the big titles. I see tons of lps on discogs that are reasonably priced and rated in VG and above. Last Discogs purchase I made was from a seller in Denmark who sold me a NM UK copy of Between The Buttons for something like $25 shipped, most of the cost was the shipping. I've gone out and priced albums by Mountain, Steve Hillage and Patti Smith and found many listings that were affordable and graded highly. If you want Pink Floyd you're going to pay real money, but there's a lot of stuff out there that is still affordable.

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I was just kidding. I have a very good turntable but I rarely use it. Maybe 5 times a year.
    I just been using cassettes since the 80's for that's the only thing I can afford at that time. and I never switched besides adding a digital streamer when I feel like listening to it.
    Any music format can be a long road and its a part of the hobby. any of those can be expensive.

4. cawley1980

cawley1980 Member Thread Starter

Yes but 25-30 quid is still ridiculous. I get the supply and demand argument but you have to also consider how much something is fundamentally worth, its a piece of plastic in a cardboard sleeve. To a point i don't mind prices for new vinyl as much, because record making equipment and people with experience are scarce nowadays, and, look, it's new, at least. But 35 yr old used records, come off it. Smiths originals arent rare in most cases, they were a popular band.

I really dont think you can compare house prices to records, to the person who sugested it!

5. cawley1980

cawley1980 Member Thread Starter

I started buying music just at the end of the period when records were still mainstream. I live in England so no nothing about the dollar, but can tell you I wasn't paying the equivalent of $40 for records with my pocket money aged 12. records were very cheap

6. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

I have no turntable, but lots of cassettes. Mostly 80s/90s rock and pop.

7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Oh yeah.... If you have a matching system, its like heaven!
    My super score on cassettes was in the 2000-2004. Everywhere I go, nobody is using it. Honestly in a high fidelity sound sense, I don't know why.
    I started buying everything that I can. I wont argue for $0.25 a piece. sometimes a whole package. One of the best pre-recorded cassettes I had came from Europe and Middle East. It was marked "747" on the back and majority was on high bias.

Aftermath likes this.
  8. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

That's Ampex chrome tape I believe, good stuff! I hope someday to find the MFSL pre-recorded metal bias tapes. I don't have any of those.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

counterpoint: the new fuzz album. cd 15.98. vinyl 20.98.

https://www.amazon.com/III-Fuzz/dp/...ild=1&keywords=fuzz+III&qid=1605821393&sr=8-2

10. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Nowadays, aren't CD and vinyl pressed from the same digital master??? Wouldn't they both technically be 16bit/44.1khz?

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Most people staying at home are on the same income as before the pandemic. What they don't have is the same opportunities to spend money. I wouldn't be surprised to find prices have shot up in the last 8 months.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You need 80% takeup of the vaccine to reach herd immunity of ~70%. The virus will then die out.

ANALOGUE OR DEATH likes this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Many records are pressed from 24-bit masters.

As for the general topic of this thread: in the US at least, list prices for new LP's are basically the same as they were in 1980, allowing for inflation. We all got spoiled in the 90s and 2000s when used record stores' dollar bins were full of classic gems, and yeah, it sucks that those days are gone, but the overall real price of vinyl is inline with what it was 40 years ago.

14. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

But back then vinyl and cassettes were the dominant music formats. That demand justified those prices. Today's demand does not. Vinyl usage is primarily from long time hobbyists and those that found a new love for vinyl (aka Hipsters).

15. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Obviously it does, or the records wouldn't be selling at those prices.

black sheriff likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It sucks, but if'n you want that original mastering, you have to pay!
    That's providing it's a popular band or say a debut of a band that became popular later.
    Many artists are still very reasonable.

17. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Vinyl makes up only 2.4 percent of all music that's purchased. That means 97.8% of audio consumers did not buy vinyl. The demand doesn't justify the prices.

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Your logic is very flawed.

Ere likes this.
  19. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant 97.6% of music purchased was not vinyl. There is no flaw here. The data says what it says.

20. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

I only got into collecting vinyl less than a decade ago, and while I usually only collect limited edition variants for the time being (since I have a lot on my wishlist), I'd say the prices are comparable. Having bought secondhand original pressings of albums and seeing old store price tags from titles that were $5 - $10 in the '70s or '80s, that's comparable from anywhere between $20 and $50 in 2020 currency, which is about what new vinyl goes for these days.

On the other hand, as someone who (obviously) also collects CDs, my wallet is appreciative of the fact that those now cost $10 - $13 as opposed to the $14 - $20 price range from 15 or so years ago.

21. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I'm so glad I never sold my records!

22. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

And let this serve as a warning to all: I decided that I wasn't listening to mine, and they were taking up room in my crowded house, so I sold several dozen over the past couple of years. Now what do you think I did? Yep, I bought another few dozen recently.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

LOL@ "dozen".

24. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Lost my whole collection from natural disaster (bushfire inferno). Can't believe the stupid prices I'm being asked for even for some of the most common albums ever made.
    Total bloody madness.

Norbert Becker and pressureworld like this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

And yet the people who are demanding to buy records pay the prices being charged.

Your breakdown is irrelevant. What is relevant is what's happening in that vinyl market not what's happening in other markets.

It might be a smaller market but demand and supply rules still apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.