“Peanuts” specials leave broadcast television, move to Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I kinda don't like that the Peanuts specials won't be free for the general public to watch, but television is changing. And frankly I've never been able to catch the specials on air for the past 30 years, so being able to stream on demand is nice.

I would agree Apple TV+ has a long way to go as far as content goes. There's not a lot on it right now that interests me. I was a little let down by the first couple of episodes of the Amazing Stories reboot, but I'm going to try to finish it.

Apple indeed has some very deep pockets to build content for the channel. And they can also hold a lot of promotions. I just bought an iPad Mini, and it came with a free complimentary year of Apple TV+. I believe you get the same deal with new iPhone purchases. So there's that.

2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For what it's worth, I think only the DVDs have the original mono tracks. The Christmas special is also getting a re-release on blu-ray this year. Dunno what's different about it. Perhaps the UHD and blu-rays will get a re-release as they seem currently OOS (but not OOP).

3. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I don’t know how I will survive, now that Apple TV+ is offering “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” – both streaming and download – for absolutely free.

...not to mention in HD and with the correct aspect ratio...

Now, could someone please be kind enough to tell me once again why I should be outraged that it’s not on broadcast TV?

Spencer R and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I have a cousin in an extremely rural area that cannot stream shows because her wi-fi comes from her cell phone company (Verizon) and she is charged extra once she goes over a certain data limit. So, people in her situation would be hurt by this decision to take it off broadcast TV. I did watch the Halloween special on Apple TV + and thought it looked great.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a newspaper that vividly illustrates the horror of Charlie Brown being kidnapped by Apple+ and forced to go to work for them...

[​IMG]

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I see it more of a consolidation process, where one with enough money has access to all the major services (most of which you can access programming through "portals" of each other anyway).
    When all the services have purchased so much of the content that there's nothing worthwhile to see on basic cable (or "expanded basic", for that matter), the only thing they need to divvy-up will be their shares of one central paywall.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I lived in the country for decades, and poor Internet access in rural areas is a real problem. I also got next to no TV reception and didn’t have a TV for years, because I didn’t want to pay for satellite TV. Watching Peanuts specials is the least of the technology problems people have in the country. How about paying your bills online, doing online banking, or applying for jobs online or doing dozens of other real world things on the Internet when you have poor or spotty Internet access? But I was able to watch TV shows on streaming services by downloading them onto my phone or tablet on WiFi when I was in town, and watching them later at home. And you can do that on Apple TV+ too. You have to plan ahead and think about what you want to watch later at home, but it’s one way to get around at least part of the hassle of poor Internet access in the country.

Download and stream shows and movies from Apple TV+ and Apple TV channels

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Shawn likes this.
  8. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Dave, Tanx, JohnBeas and 9 others like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Makers of all kind of neat to eat treats.

Grand_Ennui and MikeInFla like this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was offered a free trial when I bought my new phone. Never bothered to sign up. Of course, CBS is the only channel I currently get and I don't watch anything on it. I've got the major Peanuts specials on blu-ray and some lesser ones on DVD, and we dutifully take them out each holiday, along with various Rankin-Bass specials.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Re: Apple TV. Disney fans may wanna be on high alert. (Fox fans already know the drill).

13. Oh, man, the nice memories of waiting for the holiday specials to show on TV and my parents making a night of it for us kids. Snacks and blankets. So cozy.
    I was disappointed they won't be on this year. :sigh:

vinnie, g.z., 905 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

We kind of had the same thing for the "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and when they'd air "The Wizard of Oz".

Butterfly Blue and MikeInFla like this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

I'm going to have to look for that- I checked if the main PBS was airing it, and didn't see it listed... I didn't think to check out PBS kids.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

I don't want to start another thread just to ask this question, and it's *not* my intention to make this "political", but today someone I know pretty well told me that the Charlie Brown/Peanuts stuff was pulled because it's found to be racist/insensitive these days. Anyone else hear that, because I think he's getting things mixed up...

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Let's not go there, but say we did?

Dugan likes this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I heard it on another forum as well.

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

One could always start a new thread - and see how long it stays open.

21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Tis true. Charlie Brown is a skinhead.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

When you buy a new iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you get a free year of Apple TV+. It’s not difficult to sign up for.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I cannot think of one incident that even today could be considered racially insensitive, other than the fact that at least in the beginning, all of the Peanuts kids were white just like every other TV show and comic strip in the 60s. Perhaps when Schulz created Franklin, he was kind of a nondescript character that never did much and he could have done more with him. I don't believe that Charles Schulz was ever accused of saying anything offensive in this regard, either in real life or in his work. Sounds like the guy you're talking about probably read some bogus meme on social media and took it as fact.

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I got the 4K box set. The blu-rays look really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.