Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

No apologies... I'll always read a thoughtful, interesting post, no matter how long! :righton:

PhoffiFozz and mrjinks like this.
  2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

OK. Enough. I'm ducking out. This whole thing has now become embarrassing. Just had another look at the Superdeluxeedition site to see whether any more concise info has appeared. An awful lot of comments, a lot of which are not very complimentary. And having a look at the image used it occurred to me that it looked like the sort of thing you might see on a tacky online gambling site. I'm cutting out. I really don't like to see this kind of shenanigans associated with a musician of Paul's calibre. It is tainting the music he produces, none of which we have heard yet. I really hate to see someone I have supported all my life peddling so much tat. It feels completely wrong at the present time to see such waste when frankly there are so many problems facing everyone. And throwing in face masks I think is just distasteful. None of this is cool. None of this is doing him any favours at all. He could have put this album out to raise people's spirits, maybe offer some support, message-wise, to the millions who are going through a really hard time, financially and spiritually, and instead we get all of this nonsense. And it is nonsense. None of this is in any way necessary or right at such a time. People are at a low ebb, and referencing hardships that really have not been seen in peacetime and this tripe feels unpleasant. He really does not need all of this ego parade of getting to number one or chasing Grammys. I don't really care about any of that. There have been some real and unexpected heroes both young and old who have emerged at this time and to see someone who has been a hero all of my life take, take, taking in such a fashion is not something I want to be part of. I will give what I would have contributed in good times to a deluxe edition of a new album to something worthwhile, someone who is actually in need. I see and hear first hand how this crisis is affecting real heroes on the front line in the health service, teachers who are working in difficult situations, those looking after the elderly and now feel uncomfortable having spent so much time reading through this thread rather than perhaps doing something constructive.

Finally, apologies to everyone here. I did try to be positive and not moan and this is not a judgement or comment about anyone here discussing their passion for music. I failed, but for the right reasons. I see a lot of pain each time I turn on the TV news, read a newspaper or phone someone who is isolated at the present time. This whole thing is fundamentally wrong and it needs to be said. But, I respect that this will upset people here, so I will not repeat anything ad nauseam. Time to tune out of the thread. I have no wish to spoil anyone's enjoyment of Paul's new album and it does sound like it will be a good one, if reviews and comments are anything to go by. The rest of the nonsense however I sincerely find unpalatable.

Thanks for getting this far if you have! Take care and look after those around you.

Sean, sonnyrock, Jayseph and 42 others like this.
  3. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Just been reading the latest post on the McCartney Legacy FB page, and apparently the delay is down to Capital not being able to press all the vinyl variations in time. Also, there will be a bigger deluxe edition next year ......and there will be no single released from McCartney lll.

Sean, The Quiet One, Tord and 4 others like this.
  4. P4ddy33

P4ddy33 Forum Resident

While waiting for the album. Premiere today :

Sean, dralan, Tord and 6 others like this.
  5. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

What a fantastic post. Every word is true. Shame on you Paul and this pitiful campaign.

lavalamp3, Willowman and Choba b CCCP like this.
  6. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

@dormouse, I really appreciate your posts. Some might not agree with every word, but you are truly a person of depth and conviction. Very thought provoking stuff here. Thank you for sharing your heart and expressions of support for those who risk their lives on a daily basis.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

So, a deluxe edition is in the pipeline. I wonder if the demo(s) included in the current batch of, um, deluxe editions will feature on it or remain exclusive...

Mkirk and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. timo11

timo11 Forum Resident

I'm with you!

dormouse likes this.
  10. Paul H

While I'm compelled to agree with you, I think there's another side to this. People have been stuck indoors, kept away from family, friends and the environments that bring them cheer. We saw when lockdown 1 restrictions were lifted and shops started to reopen that many people just felt the need for some form of normal, however mindless it may be.

I think there's an argument that some form of levity is actually helpful. Being able to buy a T-shirt or whatever else is being pedalled might actually bring some cheer. Take facemasks: mine are all plain because I just didn't have time to go looking for fancy ones and waiting for someone to come along with a design that really appealed. But I think there's something good about having fun with them. Like T-shirts, seeing a funny, witty or downright attractive design will cheer me up.

So, while I appreciate that throwing out a mass of merch tat may seem inappropriate and tasteless at a time when times are hard, I think there is a need to keep going, keep doing the normal things. And if any of this stuff brings even a small morsel of pleasure to a purchaser, then I think it's worth having.

Referencing back to an earlier point I made about the environmental impact of 2,000 different CD editions of this album, there's clearly a conflict between the desire for sustainability and the view that maybe even having all these variations to collect might actually give some pleasure. I can certainly relate to the joy of collecting.

theMess, Paulwalrus, Dean R and 8 others like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No need to apologise-you delivered a great posting with thoughtful arguments. I say that even though I don t agree on everything you say.
    Personally all this marketing thing is of zero interest but I can t say it upsets me all that much.For the record-companies is business as usuall-always has and always will be.
    My interest is to be able to listen and enjoy new music from Paul-in my case probably through Spotify.
    Hope to see you here again when we have actuall music to discuss

The Band and jacden like this.
  12. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I’m fine. Ordered the CD on Amazon for 16 €, it’ll arrive when it’ll arrive.
    To be completely honest, I’d immediately trade this one week delay for the one YEAR delay of the Let It Be bonanza.. no offense, Paulie :uhhuh:

omikron likes this.
  13. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I think you have much better knowledge of Paul's discography than I do and I throw this question open to you and everyone here because I know there's a lot of very knowledgeable folks - has there been anything, any bonus track or demo from the archives or the various studio albums released in the last 2 decades that isn't on Spotify?

I rely on Spotify mostly because I move around a lot with my work. I think everything that been released for quite sometime now ends ups there and is free. but I don't claim to be an expert.

I know when Egypt Station came out and Target had 2 exclusive bonus tracks on their CD I was worried because I had no way of purchasing that from where I live but they were put on Spotify for free a short time later.

Does anyone know if there's music that was released on physical media that I am missing because I rely on the portability of Spotify? I'd appreciate if anyone can let me know.

Cheers and thanks.

dralan and Pattch82 like this.
  14. Pattch82

Pattch82 Trouble is - gloves don't give a sh!t.

Others will have more knowledge than me... but when I read your post the first thing that immediately came to mind was the 'Wings Over Europe' disc in the Big Barn box. I don't believe that is on Spotify, although it is "out there" should one need/want to acquire it.

I would assume a lot of the 80's era b-sides and single mixes/remixes won't be on Spotify either, but I can't confirm for sure.

dralan, Who Cares and Mkirk like this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Very well said. Things went downhill when he started selling cardboard suitcases and jigsaw puzzles. It’s all very contrived, calculating, and cynical. Not my type of fun, despite all of the shiny colors.

I have no need to hear everything Paul records.

dormouse and Oyster Boy like this.
  16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Yes, Paul did go to Number 1 with Egypt Station, but don't overlook the fact that, as far as I'm aware, everyone who bought a concert ticket to his tour was sent a download link for the album, and this COUNTS in the album charts... I think they've changed the rules since then.....David Byrne did very well in US Billboard for the same reason...

RAJ717 likes this.
  17. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I don't have Spotify, but here are some more possible contenders:

The mono mix of Ram?
    Thrillington?
    Wings Over America bonus CD?
    McCartney II second bonus CD?
    Original mix of Tug Of War?
    Flowers In The Dirt second bonus CD?

18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Both your post and @dormouse are really well said and some of the best content I have read on here. Having had an accident a few weeks ago (which I won’t go into details about) and being looked after by the heroes in the NHS, to continue to recover you tend to draw on what really matters in life. But, when this obscene tat fest was announced, the shallow side of me kicked in and I ordered the four deluxe CDs. The completist in me couldn’t resist (& Paul’s team know about people like me). Did it cheer me up? You bet it did.

19. Paul H

I can't advise because I don't use Spotify but I know that She Is So Beautiful has only ever been released on the Japanese edition of Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. There must be any number of download-only tracks that came with the Archive Collection releases and other obscure tracks but I can't offer anything definitive.

Mkirk and Pattch82 like this.
  20. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

ES may have achieved a no. 1 chart position, but it didn't even get a Grammy nomination and I think that is the hallmark achievement Paul would cherish most. Especially since topping the chart can be achieved via shrewd pre-release marketing. Just my opinion.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Most things are on Spotify though -for almost nothing even with a premium accountedge that also delivers decent sound. Unfortunately no different colours
    The great thing with Spotify is the easy acces to most any music. Like the other day while Driving in my car Iv just read Paul saying his inspiration for Husbands and Wifes came from listening to some old Leadbelly stuff. Easy as 1,2,3 I searched Leadbelly on Spotify and spend an jour enjoying some of his great stuff
    So I really enjoy Spotify even though I still have a bit of an addiction when it comes to boxed sets.
    I will start my listening of McCartney III on Spotify, might buy an ordinary cd and probably go for the deluxe-det that is said to arrive NeXT year

22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I fail to see what is the link between being fed up of this merchandising and packaging diarrhea, and not wanting to listen or hear Paul's music anymore.
    It's not like were are unable to buy a plain simple CD or Lp without any jig-saw puzzle or suitcase, just like in the old times, right ?

23. Kenny Saxton

Kenny Saxton Forum Resident

Not to sound disrespectful but, in fact, Paul has been regarded as a laughingstock by plenty of Beatle fans and Macca fans in several rock music fan clubs I'm in. His questionable marketing schemes and issuing tons of different variations of one album have made even the most die-hard fans to hold grudge against him.
    As you may know, because of strict government censorship, we fans in China are not so accessible to music products as you are in the U.S., U.K., E.U. or other parts of the world. Over 90% fans here won't know there is a live album called Wings Over Europe if I haven't told them.
    We have to use VPN to visit Paul's website and other online shops that sell discs. We have to sometimes rely on friends who is abroad to bring us records when they return. We have to wait longer when an item is ordered. We have to spend much more taxes for them. And guess what? It is also harder for us to collect what's released.
    My point is, it is difficult for us to support Paul's music and the man still constantly frustrates us with floods of re-issues and deluxe editions. Also, because of Paul's false notion that we Chinese eat dogs (actually we don't), he is reluctant to perform, even visit here.
    Though I'm also a fan of Paul Is Dead jokes, I do hope he could have a change of heart and reconsider some of his choices before he really passes.

24. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

The days that it was just about the music is long gone.
    One can always expect something special when it comes to McCartney releases.
    For sure you can forget Paul simply releasing an album and letting it stand on its own.
    Just one release with all the songs on it, so that a fan would be able to have all the songs without hassle.

Again I am not upset about missing out on all the different colour variations.
    But while it was already annoying when a deluxe versions pops up later with even more songs on it,
    this, buy 4 cd's to stay complete, leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I try to keep it about the music first though,
    (The ordered white coloured lp notwithstanding).
    Try to ignore this marketing stuff as much as possible.
    Enjoy (hopefully) the music on the lp when it comes out.
    and try not to think about missing the extra bonus stuff for the moment.

25. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

Thanks Pattch:righton:

Yes those 80's B-sides are an unfortunate ommission as I love Kicked Around No More. I have to hope that if an archive for OTG comes out it will include them.

I'm not as concerned about Wings over Europe as although it would be great to have - and it would have been even cooler to be at those shows - I do at least have the music in some form elsewhere.

I was more curious to find out if there's actual demos or bonus tracks put out in the last 20 years that's exclusive to physical media I don't have an exhaustive knowledge so don't know what I could've missed. I'm trying to assess the trend and the precedent to decide if I can rely on them coming out for free or not as they did with Egypt Station and in the case of the New bonus tracks we got them in NZ early for some reason so free and first - which was a bonus.

Thanks Jacden :righton:

Thrillington is definitely there as I've listened to it on there. I'm unsure about the rest but I would say if any of those things like Wings over Europe are inclusions in the Deluxe Boxes - no I won't have access for free to those or the books and DVd's etc. I wouldn't expect that value add material. However anything that was part of standard archive, deluxe, collector or explorer edition of a studio album (but not archive boxes) like New & Egypt Station etc are there. I have the Amoeba Gig, Back in the US, Tripping the Live Fantastic and quite a few other concerts but not Wings Over Europe. Still I seldom listen to anything live other than WOA.

FITD is hard to tell I would expect the Deluxe box material isn't there but all the demos are there under the Archive, they just don't break it into CDs in the way it's displaying. Tug of War has the standard remixed 2015 album and then the Tug of War remixed and re-mastered archive.

The McCartney II archive comprises 3cds but again anything that was in the deluxe box seems unlikely to be there.

Still I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks PaulH awesome :righton:

I love She Is So Beautiful. It's a gorgeous track but I am stuck with Youtube as I don't have the Japanese edition. The edition on Spotify has the "I've only got two hands" bonus track which I don't like as much tbh. Ce la vie.