Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It might be but I did read an interview with Gilmour and he was unhappy with several tracks that are on that album. When they regrouped for the Division Bell Gilmour said something like we don't want another disaster. He was obviously not completely happy with all the songs on AMLOR and also in the remix he wanted it to sound more analogue and not as a cold sounding digital album.

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

So, I was at the Sunday 8/21/88 show. According to one site, 7 of the tracks on the CD were recorded that night. Strangely, the wikipedia page no longer shows recording dates for the CD. If there's a Floyd fanatic out there who knows the dates for sure, please let me know.

I'd also like to know what night/nights the songs from the updated movie are from.

I put my lossless CD tracks on my thumb drive and will check them out tomorrow morning in my car. The blu-ray movie looked great on my TV.

3. I'm trying to figure out if this is the same as the VHS I used to play over and over back in the early 90's. It sounded great to me then and was one of those I just let play while I was doing whatever.

4. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Incredible, the majority of the album was taken from that day.

Here's the analysis I'd done, after listening to the bootlegs / soundboard mix of nassau shows:
    Here’s my analysis for new 2019 mix live album related to the correct day of which song from Delicate Sound of Thunder:

1st Part

1 Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5 : First part change to 23rd August 1988, is noticeable in a few guitar notes, the other 4 parts are still from 21st (Very few guitar notes are different, and during Sax solo also, maybe they’ve used the 20th August performance to correct these, but 99% from 21st)
    2 Signs Of Life : 23rd August 1988 (Not sure about this track, because the performances are very similar, but listening the guitar solo I would say 23rd, a few seconds from guitar solo was omitted)
    3 Learning To Fly : 21th August 1988 (Again no doubt about that this is from 21st August, I didn’t notice any correction to the Album version, on the video version it was omitted a few seconds during the middle section)
    4 Yet Another Movie : 21th August 1988 (Everything from 21st August)
    5 Round And Around : first 20 seconds - 21st August / rest - 19th August 1988
    6 A New Machine Part 1 : Finally it was released in both video and cd audio and it’s difficult too know which day it is but I would go for the 20th August.
    7 Terminal Frost : Finally it was released in both video and cd audio and everything is from 20th August, guitar solo is the same as saxofone’s solo.
    8 A New Machine Part 2 : Finally it was released in both video and cd audio and it’s difficult too know which day it is but I would go for the 20th August.
    9 Sorrow : 23rd August 1988 (Guitar solo was extended, but not complete, 1 minute is still missing)
    10 Dogs Of War : 20th August (Majority from this day, but using bits from others days, David vocals guitar, girls corus and saxofone to obtain the performance that we hear in the album, the intro was extended)
    11 On The Turning Away : 21st August (Guitar Solo was extended, but also not complete, 40 seconds are still missing)

2nd Part

1 One Of These Days : 22nd August (Intro was also shortened but in different place compare with 88 mix so as the middle section)
    2 Time: 19th August 1988 (the initial drum solo now is from 21st August to be the same as the video because the performance of 19th August wasn’t filmed only (20/21/22/23) were filmed*, the rest of the song is from 19th August, but this time there’s no overdubs like Rick’s voice, what we hear is what was performed)
    3 On The Run : 21st August 1988 (Very difficult to find out which day was used since this track is almost pre-recorded, doesn’t have vocals, guitar solos to help to identify)
    4 The Great Gig In The Sky : 21st August 1988 (Girls Vocal solos matches 21st August performance)
    5 Wish You Were Here : 23rd August 1988 (David’s singing and guitar solos matches this performance like 1988 mix)
    6 Welcome To The Machine : Finally one the biggest expectations to see the light of day, WttM performance from this tour, this version is from 20th August**, with about 1 minute edited.
    7 Us And Them : 21st August 1988 (Saxophone solos and singing matches this performance)
    8 Money: 21st August (This song is still from 21th August, but with some fixing: the intro (Coins noise) was shorted in 10 seconds, the gap between David’s singing/shouting “MONEY!” and the girls chorus “Uhhh Uhhhh!” is removed, now they singing at the same time, on the middle section there was a bass solo from Guy Pratt that was removed, and between Jon Carin keyboard solo and David’s guitar building up there was a girls jam singing, that now was superimposed with Scott Page saxophone solo, right after David Gilmour solo in the middle section! The Saxophone solo is still from 20th August and Girls Jamming are from 23rd August. Just to clarify Money was the only song that has a shorter time compare with 1988 mix (9:52 minutes vs 8:17 minutes) and the performances where about 11:50 minutes, for me a bad decision, at least they should kept the same lenght as 1988 mix, since there’s a bit of space left on CD)
    9 Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 : 21st August (Everything is from 21st August, but this time they added a kids shouting between guitar solos, that was performed in the shows but not in the 1988 mix)
    10 Comfortably Numb : 23th August (Guitar Solo was extended, but not complete, 1 minute is still missing, this time they balanced Rick’s voice with Jon Carin and Guy Pratt’s voices)
    11 One Slip: 22nd August (The bass solo in the middle was edited in different places, but the entire performance is from this day, this time they correct the pitch of the song, to be exactly the same like it was performed)
    12 Run Like Hell : 19th August (The intro was extended now the performance is complete)

In Resume:
    19th August - 2 Songs
    20th August - 5 Songs
    21st August - 10 Songs
    22nd August - 2 Songs
    23rd August - 4 Songs; in total of 23 Songs from 23 Songs
    After many years, finally we have the complete show in CD Audio, a new improved/ astonishing version of video, but sadly still two songs missing (ABitW Pt.2 and WttM), there are theories of not being filmed, and others were about rights, personally I saw the old VHS/LD versions and I discover a few frames in two different moments that shows that WttM was filmed, ABitW Pt.2 not sure about that one, but I don’t why they filmed 22 songs and left one out, I truly hope one day they’ll join everything in a standing alone released in blu-ray, because the show was remarkable!!

* - the reason I’m saying that they didn’t filmed in 19th is because in the last half of the second set David removes is jacket and plays the rest of the show only in white t-shirt (the bootleg dvd Distant Thunder from this day is available and anybody can see), so if they filmed that day at least Run Like Hell they naturally would use that footage to match the audio from that day!
    ** - since there’s a great soundboard mix from 20th August probably they didn’t bother to listen the 4 tracks left out from 88/89 album and vhs for the 5 days, they used this day performances to add to the CD audio and vídeo.

5. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Many thanks for this analysis.

The Revealer and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. Many many, this has been out for nearly a year as part of The Later Years.

Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. Had been planning on getting the multi-disc set that included the Blu ray as well as the CD's, but now thinking I may save a few bucks and just get the stand alone Blu ray. There are just so few "Live" CD's that I care to listen to on a repeat basis, whereas I watch the Concerts over & over.

I hoped that prices might drop a bit more, but I think I'll just call it an early Christmas present to myself. (Pretty sure I've used that justification a few times before :oops:)

The Revealer and jeffreybh like this.
  8. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Don't feel bad I think I've used that excuse to justify a purchase in January before :laugh:

SoCalWJS and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

The opposite here, I find it very difficult to watch performances more than once a year but audio I can spin anytime I fancy.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There are comparison videos on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgemfXWIu0&list=PL0SqtI95X6o3deWaazre_bbF4CIcpnxnV&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuDIbBmQZE&list=PL0SqtI95X6o3deWaazre_bbF4CIcpnxnV&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3zTGzDuvg&list=PL0SqtI95X6o3deWaazre_bbF4CIcpnxnV&index=12

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, apologies for my ADD getting crosswise with my searching this thread but, do I understand correctly that the only way to get the five deep cuts from Momentary Lapse played live on a Delicate Sound DVD or BluRay, is to buy a box set? ... (Amazon.com is unforthcoming with track listings for the standalone videodiscs.)

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I don't recall offhand if the extra tracks are all from Momentary Lapse but yes, the 5 extras are only on the box set Blu-ray/DVD, either the Later Years box or the standalone Delicate Sound box.

bhazen likes this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks. Disappointed ...

Norco74, RockAddict and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

A lot of us are as well...

15. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Superb job.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I watched the new blu ray last night as was a little bit disappointed to be honest! It does look and sound a lot better than my old VHS, of course, but it wasn't quite as sharp as I'd hoped. Still looks a bit 'foggy' to me. This was on a 75" Sony TV. There appears to be a lot more Rachel Fury on this version though including a fantastic fleeting shot at the beginning of Dogs Of War!

17. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

There was a **** load of smoke in the Coliseum air those nights due to audience "participation". I speak from being there.

18. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

You have no idea how jealous I am!

BwanaBob likes this.
  19. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I am curious about the 40 page booklet that comes with Lp version! Is it worth it?

20. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It is Roger Waters' fault for not showing up.

21. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Watched Shine On on Bluray and the new edit is miles better than the original version.

The ending is great where that boring bloke playing the Red Strat gets out of the way and allows the main man Scott Page on the Sax to throw himself around, yelp and pull off some rock god stances...:)

22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Not seen it yet, but I'm guessing it's high on photos and low on liner notes...

23. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

There are no liner notes in the CD Bluray set. Just a photo booklet with credits etc.

24. Just thought you might like to know HDtracks are now offering Delicate Sound of Thunder (2019 Remix/2020 Release) (24bit 96kHz) all 23 tracks as on the 2CD/3LP for $29.49.

The above (24bit 96kHz) release is also available on Qobuz Download Store for £23.49 (Studio Sublime subscribers price £14.99).

This is a separate offering in addition to the 46 tracks (the first 4CDs from The Later Years 2019) at a now rather pricey $75.99 (for 24bit 96kHz) on HDtracks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

bhazen likes this.