Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I don't know what the average screens per theatre are but my usual has 14 screens.
    Been 4 times since July to watch Tenet,Alien,Predator and TESB and i felt safe .............. granted not many folks watching the old films.
    But across 14 screens, staggered start times, generous seating space and dropping everything else except the latest WW [and other delayed blockbusters] i don't see why they can't/couldn't make money across a 3 month [or longer] period.

2. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I won't be going to the cinema. I'm not willing to take that chance right now. I will be enjoying Wonder Woman 1984 at my local drive in on Santee CA.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Will people actually go to the cinema on Christmas Day? Will the cinemas be open? From here in Britain it sounds like a crazy idea even in normal times.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

In the US definitely.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The shocking thing to me is not that HBO Max is going to stream the movie on Christmas Day: the shocking thing is that they're doing it for free, at least for regular customers. This is unheard of for a $200 million dollar release!

It's fair to say all the studio executive's heads are reeling at this point, which totally resets the whole rationale for the movie business and how movies are supposed to make money. It's one thing to use it as a gimmick to add a lot of subscriptions to your streaming channel, but you can't do that every year... or can you?

Disney has just announced this...

Disney + premieres Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Cruella away from Theatrical – Deadline

PH416156 and sunspot42 like this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They should have just gotten a network to shell out $$$ for a Christmas exclusive presentation of WW. I can't imagine they'd have made less money. N-O-B-O-D-Y will be going to theaters in the US or Europe this Christmas - COVID will be absolutely out of control by then.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Never underestimate a certain group of Americans who seem to insist on conducting business as usual, and have since March.

They will, however, not be in enough numbers to make a difference to the box office, I feel certain.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Shocking.

Do Warner Bros want to lose money again? Tenet was a gamble that didn't paid off. Now Wonder Woman 1984 is most probably to be the next sacrificial lamb.

This from a studio that claimed that one of the Harry Potter films that grossed nearly $1 billion, actually lost money

and of course in a few days, if not hours, WW 1984 will be free "out there". :sigh:

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree the entire industry has been flipped on its head, I would be curious to know how many $100 million + projects are currently sidelined until Covid has been dealt with. As for WW84 I think you can play the "I think this movie" will add XX number of subscribers to our service a few times. HBO being part of the Warner empire gives them this type of flexibility.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's unfair to classify those willing to go to movies as the same category of the "COVID denier" buffoons.

I've been careful about COVID, and I've been to movies. Under the current circumstances, I think they're a very low-risk activity - there just aren't enough people in the rooms to put me in danger.

The most-full auditorium I've encountered for the dozen or so movies I've seen since August was... 12 people, maybe? And that was in an especially large room, as it was an IMAX auditorium.

As far as I know, there've been no outbreaks traced to movies. It's just not too risky as long as the current circumstances persist...

11. Oatsdad

But they're not doing the same release situation as with "Tenet", since "WW84" will be on HBO Max as well.

Clearly they think the pair will help recoup $$$. They're not doing just theatrical as with "Tenet"...

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I should've been more specific.

My point is that WB is likely to lose money again.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Moonlight cost $1 million to make and took in $65 million at the box office. And won Best Picture. There are other ways for studios to make a profit than spending $200 million on CGI effects.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Moonlight is a definite outlier, the vast majority of low budget movies lose $. Sometimes you roll the dice and you get a winner.

IMDB Box Office tracked 782 movies released in 2019.

Grossed over $1 Billion: 9
    $500-999 M: 5
    $250-$499 M: 19
    $100-$249M: 37
    $50-$99M:31
    $25-$49M: 35
    $1-$24M: 185
    Under $1 M: 461

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m sure many low budget movies fail. However, the days of spending $200 million or $300 million to chase the $1 billion jackpot at the end of the rainbow may be numbered.

Deuce66 and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Perhaps, but I guess they figure this is a way to keep the bleeding to a minimum - and also toss a bone to struggle theater chains who desperately need a way to draw in customers...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh a few people will definitely roll into the theaters. But I can't see them going beyond half-full and I don't see even that lasting for very long. The news will be dire by that point - it already is in the Dakotas. Box office earnings are likely to top out in the $50 million range, although it may do better overseas in places that have reopened like Australian and New Zealand and China...

That just reinforces the notion it isn't worth doing a box office release at all, though. Like I said, they should have gone with making it an exclusive with a broadcast network instead. I don't see people subscribing to HBO Max just to get this one film - they'll wait for it to hit Netflix or whatever. I mean, we've already waited months...

I do wonder (no pun intended!) if Warner has cooled on this film and doesn't think it would do all that well at the box office even if it weren't for the pandemic. That first trailer was fantastic but the second one not quite as impressive and some of the stuff that's leaked has looked less than promising. Maybe they don't feel like they're leaving all that much money on the table and are possibly looking forward to a "reboot" of the franchise post-pandemic with a better film...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Morally and as fan of the theatrical experience, definitely. It's only a good thing that theaters get help from the studios.

But money wise, in these times it makes no sense. IIRC, WB is the only major studio doing that.

I wonder, as @sunspot42 said, if WB sees the movie as good but not very good to excellent, like the previous one was.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I suppose it [the xmas release] has nothing to do with the HBO Justice League Snyder cut a few months later, maybe they don't want them to coincide, or could there be possible plot spoilers within WW if the wait til later?

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I think the word you are struggling to find is "PATRIOTS".

;)

lobo and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Sure, it's worth it. I think it costs WB very little to issue it into theaters since distribution is digital, and since they'd advertise the HBO Max release anyway, they can do promos for both, so there's no increase in marketing budget.

Like I said, it gives a bit of a lifeline to theaters, makes people who want to see it on the big screen happy, and it doesn't seem to require much additional $$$ for WB to do this.

Even if it only makes $50m theatrically in the US, that's $50m they wouldn't otherwise have...

22. Oatsdad

As I mentioned above, I don't see the issue. Unlike "Tenet", "WW84" isn't only going theatrical.

Not sure why it's a bad thing that it'll get a theatrical run in addition to the HBO Max run...

23. Deuce66

WW84 is getting a full release in China before anyone else, the first one grossed around $90 million which means WB took home about $22.5 million. Hopefully it does a lot better to help draw down that $200 million budget.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, maybe. But I wonder how much a US network would have paid for an exclusive...

25. Oatsdad

I think WB prefers the HBO Max thing as a carrot to attract more subscribers. Sure, people can probably sign up for one month and then quit, but they're probably counting on lots of people continuing their subscriptions - whether because they like HBO Max or because they're too lazy to cancel.

I don't see standard broadcast networks as viable, as there's no way they'd get the ad revenue necessary to pay off what WB would charge.

Also, the filmmakers would be pissed that the movie ran edited - because even a PG-13 movie won't likely fly uncut on broadcast - and chopped up by commercials.

WB doesn't wanna piss off the people involved in the film's creation and alienate them from future endeavors...