Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Disconnecting your speakers should do the trick - glad to help.

2. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

This version of Ambulance Blues is interesting. It's maybe my favourite Neil song. I do like the regular version better than this one, but this one is quite nice anyway. The way his singing sounds makes me think this was from closer to 1970. Do we have any info on recording date yet?

knotley and tug_of_war like this.
  3. DBD

DBD Well-Known Member

No it is not a revelation and nor is it better than the released version.But it is of course worthy of a release proper along with other alternate versions.What else has been kept back? There is no reason this set had to be limited to 10cds.If it is good enough put it out.I thought this was the purpose of the whole set.I don't know what is depressing me more-the delivery debacle or the withholding of takes such as this.After decades and decades of waiting for exactly this type of take and it is not even on there.This day is really taking its toll.

Heart of Gold and Jbird like this.
  4. cosplusisin

I'm sure there are hundreds of hours of unreleased stuff. The Archives set is necessarily a curation, whittled down to something listenable.

5. RoyalPineapple

I agree with this - but there's a fine line between "whittled down" and "watered down".

Matthew Tate and DBD like this.
  6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Some discs have 40-50 mins of recorded music.

Matthew Tate, Jbird and DBD like this.
  7. DBD

DBD Well-Known Member

Fine I get that but we are talking about the masterpiece that is OTB.And we are talking not of 20 different takes but just a handfull.Not of partial takes or abandoned takes but a full version that he deems fit to release just not on the very boxset I would expect it to be on.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I always thought it was supposed to be a warts and all kinda thing. Shouldn't be surprised by Neil though. If a mind can change it would be his. ;)

Matthew Tate and Heart of Gold like this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Looks like all 10 discs will be streaming at 9am pacific time.

10. cosplusisin

For sure. I was just being literal, answering the question that was essentially "why doesn't he release everything?"

I'd certainly be happy with more!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. DBD

DBD Well-Known Member

And why the hell is that? Utterly ridiculous.Ever since the advent of cds both Dylan and Young seem to have lost any ability to edit.So much so that these days a 7 minute song is deemed a short song.Ragged Glory goes on for an hour for no particular reason and yet on this box he can cut some of the cd length down to vinyl length and not take up the space that I would think are absolutely suited to more and worthwhile additional takes.

Matthew Tate and Heart of Gold like this.
  12. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

And a revised article on the launch in Subscribers News just published

Neil Young Archives

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

404. I swear neither app or the website work for me on my iPhone. It’s frustrating.

14. RoyalPineapple

Just because a CD has capacity, doesn't mean it has to be filled.

That said, I agree with many of you that any set covering Neil's most prolific period with just 3 full CDs worth (or less) of new material is going to feel a bit sparse.

Anyway.

Bob Dylan once said "are you going to compare Neil Young to Neil Young? Compare it to someone else!".

So that's what I am going to do.

Dylan's Trouble No More (among others) is a great example of an archival set done well.

10 CDs and a DVD covering just 3 years of music. Live shows, studio outtakes, unreleased songs, demos, rehearsals, unique soundchecks. Hardly any previously-released material, hardly any repetition or identical multiple takes.

Plush packaging, modestly high price (at launch). Thoughtfully sequenced for an entertaining listening experience.

Yes, Dylan's sets are carefully curated, too (as well as in-depth and rewarding).

But they also feel like they are packed to bursting point with hidden treasures. Whereas the selection process for Neil's sets seems a little more watered down in comparison.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

AAaaaaaaaannnnddd. It's gone LOL

16. liverust

liverust Forum Resident

I'll believe it when I see the e-mail, with a working link. So far, nothing.

17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Loving those vocal inflections.

RayS likes this.
  18. Heart of Gold

I think that an artist like Neil is traditionally paid by his recording label according to the number of unreleased songs published on his new releases. Probably 10-12 songs for a single release and 60 or more for a boxset of this dimension. These artists are generally paid one dollar, more or less, for each song. In some releases like The Blue Note Cafe Recordings it's highly probable that the parts involved have agreed for a lesser price. For his baby as the NYA website, Neil can be generous with his fans.

19. Heart of Gold

In my opinion the new Ambulance Blues outtake is just a different mix.

20. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

No way. That's an entirely different performance.

21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

NYA VOL II is up!!!!!

22. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I have an account but not a subscription so I can't listen but wanted to say enjoy those of you who have waited so long! Good tunes ahead.

purple-lazy, highway and Oliver Hague like this.
  23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this is too much. i can’t function right now.

jumpinjulian, WJA, oneway23 and 4 others like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

But I still have 3 concerts to listen to! :)

25. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Dare I talk about anything not ARCHIVES II? I Dare.

Just watched the MOUNTAINTOP clip of "Rainbow of Colors" in the Hearse Theatre . . . a strong example of why this album is not good ("Colorado"). Neil doesn't even know the songs before he goes into the studio to teach the guys the songs. They're learning them as they record and NO ONE has absorbed them and gotten them and internalized them. When no one, not even the songwriter, has a deep relationship with the material, it sounds like it. I guarantee you none of those guys, Neil included, really remembers how any of these songs go and couldn't play them right now.
    This is what happens when a person can't listen to ARCHIVES II yet!