The War On Drugs - Live Drugs (Nov 20, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gnomby, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Today's the day. Already available on Spotify, can't buy it on Qobuz yet. Have track 1 playing now. Seems like it has reasonably decent dynamics, and sometimes live recordings can not sound great....this one sounds good, but of course there's compression. No surprise there.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm waiting to find out if this will show up on Bandcamp for download.

3. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Listening on Spotify just now. Great performances. Saw them at the Barrowlands on this tour and it was an unforgettable night. Qobuz has this on 24/96 for £11.99 vs £30 for the purple vinyl. This is an album I’ll be listening to over and over on my iPod at work etc so the download is a must have at that price. I am tempted by the vinyl though.

paulbright81 likes this.
  4. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Does anywhere show the track lengths?

I don't mind at all if the long tracks are longer.

Gregthebunny likes this.
  5. Harry Hood

Ok, found them.

01. An Ocean Between The Waves (Live) (7:30)
    02. Pain (Live) (5:16)
    03. Strangest Thing (Live) (7:13)

04. Red Eyes (Live) (5:50)
    05. Thinking Of A Place (Live) (11:37)

06. Buenos Aires Beach (Live) (5:09)
    07. Accidentally Like A Martyr (Live) (4:28)
    08. Eyes To The Wind (Live) (9:13)

09. Under The Pressure (Live) (11:59)
    10. In Reverse (Live) (7:37)

edit: split according to how I guess it is on the vinyl release

ARK likes this.
  6. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

On Spotify the total length is 74 min. So above 18min each side on the vinyl.

7. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the Newbury Comics exclusive several weeks back and my card was charged at that time. My order still shows on their site but the product is nowhere to be found on the site anymore, nor have I received any shipping info. Before I write them, has anybody else ordered this version? Thanks!

8. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the purple vinyl set. Got to say it sounds amazing; it's TWOD, so there's little (none!) stage banter from Adam, but the music is fantastic. Vinyl perfectly flat & nice & quiet.

9. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I have the standard black vinyl of this set, and it sounds incredible. Highly recommended. Absolutely fantastic.

CCrider92 and Xander2017 like this.
  10. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

11. Rob_1968

Rob_1968 Active Member

@MrCJF . I was introduced to them via the Album "Lost in the Dream". I went back to the other two albums prior to these and felt like it was in Lost in the Dream, where everything started to come together. re: production, playing arrangements and song writing. The song Under Pressure is equivalent to most of what is on a Deeper Understanding. Both excellent albums and A Deeper Understanding is one of my favourite road trip listens! I have not gone back and listened again to Slave Ambient or Wagon Wheel Blues but happy to be challenged here! Enjoy and looking forward to listening to the live album.

Bill_H, CCrider92 and paulbright81 like this.
  12. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Just oreder vinyl

13. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

can anyone post a 600x600 picture of the artwork (preferably with the LIVE DRUGS sash on the left side)? I have searched everywhere online and nothing, which I can't believe. The file that came on Qobuz is crappy and has a ton of artifacts.

14. Ham Sandwich

The iTunes artwork is 3000x3000 and maximum jpg quality. Here's a 600x600 version from the iTunes version.

[​IMG]

15. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Thank you!

16. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Lost In the Dream is definitely where “it” happened, but here are some of the more accessible tunes on the earlier stuff:

Wagonwheel:
    • Arms Like Boulders (play it LOUD!)
    • Show Me the Coast (a ten minute raga-style vamp)
    Future Weather:
    • Brothers (I prefer this version, but both are great)
    • Comin’ Through
    Slave Ambient:
    • Come to the City (this was the single)
    • It’s Your Destiny (could fit on the later albums)
    • Best Night
    • Blackwater

ARK, Stone Turntable and craigobau like this.
  17. Ham Sandwich

I used Album Art Downloader to get it. It's able to find and grab artwork from iTunes, Qobuz, Deezer, MusicBrainz, Amazon, and a lot of other places. iTunes seems to have the highest quality artwork for this album currently.

Did you get the high-res album from Qobuz?
    I've been waiting to see if the album will show up on Bandcamp. It hasn't yet. If it's not going to I'll get it from Qobuz. And go for the 24/96 download.

18. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Don’t forget Baby Missiles.

Bill_H and jalexander like this.
  19. Harry Hood

..... or Taking The Farm.

jalexander likes this.
  20. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

If you like A Deeper Understanding, I think you need to hear Lost in the Dream at the very least. Solid album front to back.

Carlox, ARK, BlackCircleVinyl and 3 others like this.
  21. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I didn't, I got the CD quality version. I just can't get myself to pay for hi-res, I'm not sure how much I believe that it's better than CD. My ears don't really hear a difference.

Carlox and Alan57 like this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

I do hear a difference with some high-res versions of albums compared to the CD. Same mastering for each (same DR numbers and EQ). And some where the high-res doesn't sound different or better to me than the CD. It does become a gamble to guess if it will be worth buying the high-res. The only way to find out is to buy both and find out for myself. Which gets doubly expensive. I haven't seen any reviews or comments yet comparing the high-res to the CD for this album.

23. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I'm getting lots of advice to buy Lost In A Dream, so I think I will get it. I have a big backlog of stuff I need to listen to. I'll pick up Live Drugs as well. Probably before Christmas, as I think their music will help keep me sane over the next five weeks.

CCrider92, Xander2017 and jalexander like this.
  24. It was catching the video for this song that turned me on to the band way back when. Very different from their later stuff, it made me think of what Stereolab might've sounded like if they came from Kansas.

Vox78 and jalexander like this.
  25. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Lost in the Dream is likely better than any other album on your list. If I were you, I would give it a spin sooner than later. Preferably at night.

ARK, The macerator, chumlie and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.