Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I remember your thread on TGP. Did you end up getting there one that was already in the country?

squittolo and johnsiddique like this.
  2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Hello Kurt.
    Welcome. And thanks for your excellent work on Berkeley and RAH...

squittolo and Kurt Max like this.
  3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I just realized that the printing on the spine of the cd/blu-ray casing points the opposite direction from most cd's. I remember reading recently in another thread that this is a pet peeve for some folks.

4. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Ha thanks! I am in my 60’s as well so I get it!

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Good to know. Thanks for posting the particulars there and in a direct way.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Get off the towers. Please come down from the towers...

squittolo likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The continuous film sequence from Villanova Junction through Red House is awesome and likely worth the price of admission if you're a fan. These all come from Red House:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Putting it that way, you're spot on. I didn't think of it like that. I was thinking more of the letters burning into my plasma screen if they're on there for too long.

I'm sitting here trying to image what they were thinking. It's not as if big bold letters "ALL CAMERAS STOPPED" adds a whole lot. It could have been small letters at the bottom of the screen, with yeah, like you said, slow-motion film (which is a great idea), or stills, either from the film, or from photographers, or the audience.

You know, I haven't been dogging EH lately, especially after Songs for Groovy Children was pretty much great, but now it seems they're back to their old tricks, having given us a completely screwed Electric Ladyland 50th, a rather limpish studio LP: Both Sides of the Sky (sorry, Andre 3000), and holding out on both the RAH performances and Black Gold.

I know John McDonut reads the forum, so what gives?

9. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

We all know the Rainbow Bridge film as a whole was a joke...but that intro was spot on and timeless! Let the hippy vibe of cosmic unity exist without mocking it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    tedhead, maxine1967, MK75 and 9 others like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In case anyone was curious...

[​IMG]

Jimi working the wah in Red House:

[​IMG]

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just cleaned my vinyl version. To get a 3 LP set, with blu-ray, and nice booklet for only $42, I am happy. I know the sound will be all over the place, but I'm fine. Thought I saw a down load card in there as well, but I never use them.

dee likes this.
  12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Yes I did. I was offered a really good price and went for it. I couldnt be happier with it. Its amazimg

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Chuck Wein was a "scenester" at Andy Warhol's Factory who didn't actually seem to posses any talent. His big claim to fame was hustling Edie Sedgewick.

He wasn't really a hippie but a hustler who abused gullible people, Kurt. All the while he was babbling about cosmic stuff, it was only a front. I mean, you can tell Jimi sees right through Chuck and mocks him ingeniously in the famed "stoned rap".

Read this Chuck-speak from a 1970 article on the project and draw your own conclusions.
    "There's some interest in the way the actual deal for making the movie got on. It's being released by Warner Bros, nut we're making it as an independent company. Jimi Hendrix is doing the soundtrack, That's pretty much how the money was raised. By Hendrix agreeing to do the soundtrack. Otherwise, the Warner Bros people would think we're too spaced out"

Does that sound like a genuine "hippie" to you? Or someone riding on the coattails of Jimi Hendrix by proxy of Mike Jeffery?

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

All shots here from "Freedom":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Just dig the sounds...it's all Freedom" :)!

15. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:laugh:

16. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

kind of jarring! I just listened to all of disk two in the car and when the drums came in on the intro to Ezy, I almost jumped- thankfully the overdub stops after the intro — I think he’s playing the Flying V on all of disk 2 except for the last track.

Doggiedogma and DTK like this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

My LP set arrived today--wow! They were on fire that day, and the sound is excellent. I haven't watched the Blu-ray yet.

J_D__, EVOLVIST and jhm like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Re: The Maui Blu Ray, this just in. For the menu screen for the first Maui set, the music is an instrumental jam with Mitch and Billy that’s completely new to me! Edit: Correction, it's on all the title screens. Given the drum style, I now think it might be Buddy Miles on drums. The complete audio clip is 1:07 long and seems to loop continuously.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  19. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

As someone who loves Jimi but doesn’t have any Hendrix bootlegs, this set is a treasure.

Sure, it is a bit ragged in spots but so what. It’s rock and roll. I’ve been stuck in my house for 9 months, so this set is a nice mental escape for this cosmic brother.

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

What strikes me the most from watching the video is how relaxed Jimi is and how much fun he's having. He smiles a lot here. Given what we know about what was going on in his life at the time, this is nice to see.

These are all from Stone Free:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is his face after he sings "kinda...gettin' hot" :)!

[​IMG]

21. ebrink72

ebrink72 Forum Resident

I don't know why they didn't use the audience source to patch the missing gaps in the recording. The same goes for the Hollywood Bowl sourced used in the ELL box set. They had good results when they used a small patch at the beginning of All Along The Watchtower from the Atlanta disc, it would have worked here as well. Once again, EH bungles up another release, instead of looking at what the collectors have been doing for years.

Doggiedogma and ChazFromCali like this.
  22. MRM1965

MRM1965 Forum Resident

Neither did I! That's why I love this frigging place.

23. MRM1965

MRM1965 Forum Resident

I like the way you think ;)

ChazFromCali and DTK like this.
  24. Thats gonna burn my screen! :laugh:

But on the positive tip, EH is damn good at making their sets priced right. Dollar-for-content, I have no issues. So, for what you get it's a bargain. Except for EL 50. That was a goat's scrotum.

25. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I've got the LP on order and it hasn't shipped yet. But in the meantime listening to the digital version and I'm really enjoying it. Other live releases have better overall sound quality but this band sounds great nonetheless, and it's a great setlist. Looking forward to the LPs.

All Down The Line likes this.