New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I was highly sceptical about this set when it was first announced, due in large part to Matt Ross-Spang being in charge of the mixing, why? Because I really do not like his drum centric mixes of the 69 live material, nor did I like the overuse of compression that was used in that set.

My expectations slowly began to improve as each new teaser track was released in the months between the announcement and eventual release day. Upon listening today all my reservations have thankfully been knocked on the head, the mixing is superb and the mastering is exactly what I've come to expect from Vic Anesini. God knows what went wrong with the live 1969 set, my guess is that Vic was ordered by those in charge to do a loudness wars style job on that particular set, thankfully that's not the case with Elvis in Nashville.

2. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

3. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Absolutely. First thing I did once I got the discs out. Did the same with Live 1969.
    Lovin' this box and really enjoying just Elvis with the band without horns, strings, background singers, etc. A really nice listen. Elvis as nature intended. :agree:

croquetlawns and hodgo like this.
  4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Mine's here, all lovely and unsquashed too.

Rick Bartlett, RSteven and hodgo like this.
  5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Can you buy these sleeves used for Japanese mini-albums somewhere? I could really use some!

6. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I’m not kidding...some of these tunes bring tears to my eyes. So good. So perfect.

7. hodgo

Just google Nagaoka antistatic sleeves.

KDubATX and RSteven like this.
  8. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

E Bay, £10.99 for a pack of 20.

Record Rotator likes this.
  9. Record Rotator

Thanks! Fantastic :righton:. I was actually thinking about making some myself.

10. jimi55

jimi55 Forum Resident

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Haven't had a chance to give this a spin yet, but a few of my discs are scratched, one badly scratched (replacement set is already being processed). This packaging Sony uses for these minimalistic box sets (e.g. Prince From Another Planet, A Boy From Tupelo, Elvis At Stax, The Searcher) is prone to damaged discs. And it isn't exclusive to Sony -- the major labels have been generating cheap packaging for 15+ years where the CDs are frequently exposed to damage. Hey Sony and your fellow record labels, do you know what works? Old school jewel cases.

12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Nice to hear the good reviews of the music. I can't wait to listen! Ordering it today!

RSteven likes this.
  13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Your comments just made me check my own personal CD box and sure enough, all discs are scuffed up pretty bad. One disc in particular has what looks like chips or gouges in the surface. So, I wonder if there are also manufacturing issues, in addition to the issues caused by the packaging itself?

artfromtex and croquetlawns like this.
  15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Such a simple solution that for some reason is completely elusive to the packaging designers.

Another option is the way the discs were housed in the TTWII Deluxe box set. They're secure, easy to remove, safe from scratches, and beautifully displayed.

Go to the 1:30 mark.

LennyC., croquetlawns, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Some more observations:

The Mystery Train jam on disc 1 is previously unreleased even though the booklet states that it was released on the Nashville Marathon FTD.

The vocal track on Bridge Over Troubled Water is the repaired/replaced vocal which was recorded about two weeks after the session. The original vocal track has never been released officially.

Heart Of Rome also has the repaired vocal, but the work part was recorded at the session.

Many of the tracks are longer than the released versions.

Disc 1 and 2 are sequenced roughly in session order.
    Disc 3 and 4 are roughly arranged in release date order.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    JohnO, laf848, croquetlawns and 11 others like this.
  17. Record Rotator

hodgo likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It arrived today. Hoping to get a chance to have a listen :)

19. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

It came today. Tomorrow we listen to all five discs.

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I streamed on Qobuz last night (24/96). Sounds great!!!

ericscho and RSteven like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Is the sound quality much superior to the material already released on FTDs? I ordered the vinyl which hasnt arrived. Hesitant to go all in on material I already have.

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

In my opinion, no. I bought it for the undubbed masters on the first two discs which are excellent. There is very little new material on disc 3 and 4 if you already have the FTD.

23. hodgo

As someone who also has the three FTD's for these sessions and therefore has all the outtakes, I believe the undubbed masters make this new release every bit as essential as those three sets, especially when you consider how reasonably priced it is.

laf848, JLGB, croquetlawns and 7 others like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Box set be damned, gimme a copy of them multitracks! Blissful.

I guess I need this box now.

25. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I second your comments. I am really disappointed with the new Hendrix Maui cd/blu-ray set. The booklet just falls right out onto the floor.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.