Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I don't know or care about any of that, or if Chuck was a genuine hippy. Really. I just think the band intro where he's equating cells in a body and people being cells in the universe is a perfectly valid analogy...no need to mock that as being of its time etc. It's a timeless and valid concept. I'm not going to suppose to rate Chuck Wein's life on an imagined Hip-omnotor. He probably lived 50 times the crazy artistic life of most of us.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d probably smile a lot too if I were in Hawaii, rocking out to a crowd of beautiful hippie girls.

3. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I like the second set with Mitch's wife sitting on stage right behind Mitch for a few tunes.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Now THAT'S Funnier than schiit!
    Beave

Anthrax likes this.
  5. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I’m looking forward to your run down!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I like what I see! I just grabbed this, will watch tonight, if it’s as good as you say then yes, worth the price of admission alone

bobbradley, jhm and ChazFromCali like this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Just listened to the iTunes samples on a less than stellar piece of playback equipment. Seems they did a fair job of salvaging the original drum tracks.

I think if i had to chose between having a mix of songs with overdubbed drums and original or only original, i would have preferred original.

But rather i would have liked both versions to be included where possible. I think they both have some kind of historic value, and then i’d have a choice.

Anyway, despite the rough sound i found what i heard enjoyable, so i will purchase this.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I never mocked Chuck, I just said he was a hustler with financial motives whatever hippie bs came out of his mouth. His "artistic" rein appears to have stopped with Rainbow Bridge pretty much, if you can call that mess artistic. Watch the "stoned rap" with Chuck, Pat and Jimi and note that Jimi isn't actually buying any of it, he was far too intelligent for that.
    Either way, without Chuck being LSD buddies with Mike Jeffery and Mike pressuring Jimi to save his butt we wouldn't have these concerts. Always something.

9. GG1968

GG1968 Active Member

Chuck Wein, yes ok. groovy intro...but absolutely no one is mentioning the Gemini Twins Intro?..Whats up with that? Are they in the picture?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Doggiedogma and Jimi Bat like this.
  10. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

But...but... Big Maybelle !!

DTK, All Down The Line and Cokelike- like this.
  11. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

If nothing else, they could have mixed aud-patched versions of the incomplete tunes and offered them at the end of the second cd, plenty of space.
    BTW I haven't detected our aud taper in any of the shots of the crowd. Pretty amazing someone did record it from the crowd. I wonder why they didn't do more with the tape, which sounds pretty good. They could have easily released a 2x LP of the material back in the early 1970s. Instead they delivered a fragmented "Maui, Hawaii" single Lp.

12. Both the Band in the last Waltz and the Dead’s Europe 72 have all kinds of post studio overdubs and fixes and both are better albums because if it imho.

13. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Just finished listening to Disc 1 of the LPs .
    I’m delighted with the audio and the performance. Never heard the boots of this so I don’t get the negative comments I’ve read.

I saw the Rainbow Bridge film once in the mid 70s. All I remember is it was a garbled mess except the live performances.

For $43 I’m happy as a clam so far. Will get to the BluRay later. Time to crank it louder, the missus just took the dog for a long walk.

dee, JeffMo, MK75 and 4 others like this.
  14. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I always dug the way Jimi hit that low "E" towards the middle-ish of Freedom, so damn funky! Just a slight bend but, minkia it grabs me!

squittolo, Chris M, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They need material for the Super Deluxe release?

16. Sorry if this has been asked upthread, does the Blu-ray in this set include all of the content on the Rhino Rainbow Bridge DVD?

17. parman

parman Music Junkie

Just spotted this thread on release day! So is this something totally different from the Rainbow Bridge shows?

18. 905

905 Senior Member

It reminded me of the introduction from The Allman Brothers at Atlanta Pop Festival.

Listening now, glad I bought it. Since the first song started, I quit caring about the drums.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No, this is the Rainbow Bridge shows.

parman likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am glad you are moved by it. I think he sounds ridiculous, spouting off late-60's hippie "cosmos" rhetoric. Maybe he believed it, maybe not. But it sounds contrived five decades later.

905, Roberto899, DTK and 2 others like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Seeing the screen grabs kind of makes me sad. Ill leave it at that.

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Like Global Warming? :righton::yikes:
    What goes around comes around............
    And now let’s here it for our next performer, the incredible SAMMY DAVIS JR.!,,!,!
    Miss him, imagine him and Jimi knocking back a few beers? :cheers:
    beave

Kurt Max and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Dadgummit! I just got through sending this set off of my hard drive and into the recycle bin after comparing tracks with the new Experience Hendrix issue as the new release is a significant improvement in overall sound quality. Now I have to go retrieve it for the complete Hey Baby intro and the possibility that ther may be other details present on the grey market issue.

Purple Jim and All Down The Line like this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Didn't he also say as much in his 1990 book?

DTK and ChazFromCali like this.