Wanting to hear from owners of the current Rega P8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rufusbass, Nov 13, 2020.

1. rufusbass

rufusbass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All:
    I’m considering retiring my aging funk vector turntable -which is suffering some pitch stability problems, and although it’s been a great turntable is somewhat temperamental.
    A friend of mine has offered me a great deal on a barely used P8 , and I would love to hear from folks who own one - and what their experiences have been so far, in terms of both sound quality reliability, and functionality!

displayname likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Is there something specific you want to know?
    Rega is not the best brand in terms of speed stability if thats what you want to know.
    And tables are not main arbitors of soundquality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sushimaster and rufusbass like this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The above charts show the OLD RP8 and RP10. The new models have a speed adjustable power supply if you want/need to adjust (this applies to P3 with the NEO added, P6, P8 and P10).

4. Leonthepro

Have they reduced Wow and Flutter? Because the Speedbox wont fix that.

5. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Don't trolls come from Scandinavia?

popol_vuh, Riktator, vinnn and 16 others like this.
  6. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I love my P8.

Morbius, xfilian, NOS300B and 3 others like this.
  7. Leonthepro

Indeed. Its also something we like doing:

[​IMG]

8. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

To be fair, I think the p8 and p10 wow and flutter, rumble etc as measured are about as good as belt drives get. Of course, a good DD will prevail here.

Lucca90 and MGW like this.
  9. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Anyway, to answer the OP's question a little - I use an RP8 but with a Neo - i.e. I can set the speed precisely - so not a P8 but the nearest thing. I also use the metal feet, and an AT33EV cartridge. Lovely smooth, subtle sound, full of detail with great soundstaging. The last thing I'm thinking about is wow, flutter or rumble - the latter which I'm very familiar with, having used a couple of those highly-regarded idler drive decks from the 1950s and 60s about 30 years ago.

I'd buy the P8 if I were you.

cut-out, rufusbass, MGW and 1 other person like this.
  10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Yes, 'funny' how all of the criticism of Rega comes from someone who does not even have a belt drive deck, let alone a Rega or a Rega 8.
    Of course, supplying a more stable power supply to the motor should also reduce wow and flutter as well, especially I would imagine for a DC motor (not sure if the 8 is DC or not).

11. Leonthepro

Just because I dont have one now doesnt mean I havnt had a Rega, which I have. But I dont need one to quote their own in house tolerances. Perhaps its good to get some perspective rather than solely listening to Rega fanatics.

McLover, VinylSoul and BillWojo like this.
  12. rufusbass

Thanks- Yes, I am very tempted, and it seems from the replies and other threads people are finding reliability/build to be very good too...Plus, I have to confess...I just love the way the P8 looks!

cut-out likes this.
  13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I like my RP8/Apheta, and the P8 is supposed to be better. If you like the design, and the price is right, go for it.

rufusbass likes this.
  14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

All of us aren't trolls over here but some of us might be.

For the OP; the Rega P8 is an excellent choice- it's really a great sounding turntable. Please observe that this verdict comes from someone who isn't a Rega fanatic. I say go for it! :righton:

15. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

For what it’s worth... I have used an RP8 for some years and love it. Best upgrade for the money I ever did was to buy the wall bracket for it. I run mine with an AN IQ3 mm cart with great results!

Rockbluebird and Randoms like this.
  16. rufusbass

Thanks- yes main points were about reliability and build- it seems folks are generally very happy w the RP8 and the P8

17. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I will have to give the P8 very high marks, it's very well engineered, the cartridge was already mounted, turntable was ready to go. The Apheta III is a very worthy MC cartridge, I can give this beautiful design a five star rating.
    The only thing that just did not work for me is the little flimsy partial dust cover, that was a no go for me. I upgraded to a nice, full cover.

[​IMG] Pictured with the little small cover that lets in dust on all sides, this one was not for me.

[​IMG] This cover is so much better, absolutely NO dust getting into all the little crevices

[​IMG]

18. rufusbass

Exactly my thinking- I am hoping the full size cover I had made for the funk table will fit!

Litejazz53 likes this.
  19. darthminogue

darthminogue Well-Known Member

Do you play with the cover on or off?

20. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

With a full cover it's just too risky to move the cover back in place while the record plays, always with the cover OFF.

21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I had the P8. Great table if you get along with the foam and minimalistic design (which I didn't).

22. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Any P8 owners notice the plinth sagging like with the P6? I know there's not much plinth on the P8, but what plinth there is is made from the same material.

missan likes this.
  23. Docbot

Docbot Well-Known Member

I love my P8 with Apheta 3. A great over my P6 with ania. The Apheta feeds into an Aria then to a Naim SN2. Wonderful. BTW I did not experience (or even heard of) sagging of my P6. The p8 has a great build with no problems (touch wood!)

Joel S likes this.
  24. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Why don't you look it up and find out? And remove the incorrect information you posted since it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand..

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  25. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

This thread is about the P8. And why don't you buzz off?

Leonthepro likes this.