Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

That is the next batch of versions that will be announced: dice that match with the corresponding album cover with a new secret demo.

theMess, sonnyrock, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Page nº500.

Just in case anyone was wondering...

3. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Don't give them any ideas please.

4. Kenny Saxton

Kenny Saxton Forum Resident

"Be Immortalized On Page 500 With No Confirmation Of Tracklist Or Releasing A Single" achieved

tug_of_war and omikron like this.
  5. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I can't wait to hear Paul's take on a musical. But to be clear, if It's a Wonderful Life sold just 1/4 of Hamilton it would still be one of the best selling musical soundtracks of all time.

As a Paul fan I want to hear his take on a musical. But it is a very specialized language. Writing a musical is not a hobby. I don't expect this to be an opportunity to get crossover fans - this seems to be a lark for Paul.
    And one more challenge against It's A Wonderful Life - it's a Christmas movie (so I imagine it'll be a Christmas musical) and that's another limitation. It'll be staged for 2 months a year - there won't be an audience after the holidays. It will have a short run -if it's a success that may happen annually. Still...

While I may not sound enthusiastic, I'm actually more excited about It's a Wonderful Life than any other upcoming Paul project (including McCartney III.) Truly can't wait to hear what he writes for characters and other voices. It's a whole new thing and I'm thrilled. But I don't expect it to be a big seller.
    Considering Hamilton sold 6 million copies, It's a Wonderful Life may do 1/100 of that business - and still be seen as a successful cast recording. People who listen to new musicals are part of a niche audience.

omikron, mrjinks and Paperback Writer like this.
  6. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

It’s a Penny Lane touch.

I think the vocals on this are unbelievable and it makes me wonder how much of the ‘wobble’ is a stylistic choice, because there’s plenty of non wobble even in higher registers.

7. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Musically it sounds like neither of those, I presume Mike means in respect to it not being of a standard structure.

8. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Whilst I don’t know if they get a share of ‘live’, they would certainly have sold a lot of product on the road.
    This is one of the big holes in the physical market this year.

9. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

It will be hard, but releasing in the Christmas market worked a treat for creating extra sales for recent albums by the Stones - which went to number 1, and the Who which went to 2 ( behind Rod).
    That week is great for old acts because a CD is an easy Christmas purchase for an ageing relative, and an expensive vinyl is also makes a great present.
    It’s also the best physical sales week of the year, so poor streaming numbers are less of a hindrance.
    So I think ‘extremely unlikely’ is an exaggeration. There’s a good chance but no guarantee.

10. AlienGirlWorx

AlienGirlWorx Forum Resident

Just to be clear, I'd actually buy a 3 or 5 pack of masks if I knew it went to a good cause.
    I have no problem repping something you love on a mask you wear to save lives, I'm just against Fat Cat Bastards profiting off pandemic. There's something gross about it, and if you are going to sell something due to pandemic , it should be in support of those effected by pandemic.
    I'd totally rock a Beatles mask just haven't come across one I liked, and I'm sure the one you wear was in support of a working artist making ends meet, or is it an official Beatles mask that I missed the email about?

Anyhoo, not trying to derail...
    I too am dizzy at the idea of an 8 minute McCartney song.
    I'm going smoke a doobie in headphones and remember that moment my whole life, and hopefully not have a need to worry about masks by the 100th time I hear it.

I can't bloody wait. :ed:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    omikron and Paperback Writer like this.
  11. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Hamilton was on the TV the other day. Couldn't sit through more than 4 minutes of it. I didn't know till now that it was a smash hit. Is it one of those things that's much more of a success in the US than worldwide?

AppleCorp3 and RAJ717 like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If only I coul take part in this discussion
    Unfortunately
    I must hear the album first
    Those who have heard seems pleased with Pauls vocals on this one
    A good sign
    :):):)

Sargon, Paulwalrus and Dr. Dog like this.
  13. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I’m going to elaborate.
    There’s plenty of signs of the ‘old Paul’ voice, especially on Pretty Boys, but it seems controlled and almost like a stylistic choice (it seems to be more obvious at the start of the album).
    I couldn’t really listen to Egypt Station due to the vocals, couldn’t get into it enough to even work out whether the songs were good.
    At the start of this I was thinking it might happen here, but it didn’t and I think fans will on the whole love this.

14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

15. I’ve got a new strategy in getting “my same day “ McCartney release.

This year still involves Target - where their apparently uniform opening day Roll-Out screw ups work to my advantage .

I’ll go to the store on Dec. 11th and tell them it’s the day for McCartney III - and to get the CD from the back room!

If it’s there it’s mine.if not, worth’s the try. If they know it’s been moved to the 18th - then count me surprised. ;)

planckera, omikron, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No it’s a worldwide phenomenon, and as far as I know has never actually been on TV, it is exclusively available on Disney +

So did you really actually watch it????

AlienGirlWorx and bob60 like this.
  17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Yes, I saw about 3 minutes of it and thought it was dross! I saw it on my TV, which has Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney +. I was surprised Disney were showing this. I thought perhaps Disney was just looking for some extra content and they thought this'll just about do.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  18. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Page 500 and still no music yet.

AlienGirlWorx likes this.
  19. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Well - we have had 5 to 10 second snippets... :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Ringo Hendrix, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  20. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I DON'T WANT AN APPETIZER, I WANT THE MAIN COURSE.

Ringo Hendrix and omikron like this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The last albums created by the Beatles are, and will remain, much more memorable and important than the last albums made by solo John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

22. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I rather enjoyed the wafer thin mints.

Ringo Hendrix and AlienGirlWorx like this.
  23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You based your opinion on a 2 and a half hour show on watching 3 minutes? :crazy:

I’ve heard 30 seconds of one track on McCartney III, don’t know what it was called but it was utter garbage, so the rest of the album is crap too. (See what I did there?)

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Clouds circle over all of us. Some are bigger than others and, for some, those clouds cast darker shadows. Stay safe and remember that all things must pass.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Have you really listened to Ringo's last album? Just give it 3 or 4 listens and then get back to me ... ;)

Rapol93, Sargon, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.