'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

and the good news is now you can with the Tone Poet release and i can tell you it's Greeeaaaat

Dai and scotti like this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Roots & Herbs has arrived (a very nice looking cover if I say so myself)...hooray! A late night session with Mr. Blakey is in order, and both my Nina Simone's are in the house as well. But have to hang out with Jimi and the Dirty Knobs first, gotta make the wife happy as she gifted me all 5 records we got today and drove to pick them up as well.

4. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Great review, MJ.

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Indeed, it’s a very good review. Thanks for linking it here.

6. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Well written. Nice and straight to the point. Good job!

PoetryOnPlastic likes this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

So here’s a thing. I placed an order for the most recent 4 TP releases all showing Nov 20th release date, on the U.K. BN site the day their 20% sale commenced; they took all of the money.

On Nov 20th they still have that date showing but ‘more stock coming‘ added which made me thing I’d got mine in on time.

Today received emails stating;

“We have been informed from the supplier that the release date has changed for the product(s) below that you have ordered.“

Er, they are Blue Note and so they are the supplier; don’t tell me they didn’t know the parent company in the US has quoted that date all along.

As they were at sale prices I’ll wait although I won’t be sent Roots & Herbs in advance even though in stock; shoddy practices seen here before as I recall.

I shall have to make do with the 2 Nina Simone albums that arrived today, all perfect and sounding spectacular, especially Pastel Blues which just demolished my MOV copy after one note!

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they're not the supplier, unfortunately. just the label. UMe is the overlord.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Lesson learned for the second time... don't buy any TP's until the end of year 30% off sale and save a ton of money. Must be aware in times of COVID.

JorgeGvb and mpayan like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So coming from a big fan of Mr. Blakey, (had the CD) may I just say that "Roots & Herbs" has arrived just in time for that perfect ingredient to whatever your secret holiday recipe requires! Holy smokes, this is in the top of the Tone Poets for me. I believe @mpayan hit me back and said this is just one heck of a fun record, and that it is and even more hearing it like this! This one sounded pretty special on my first listen and my copy was flawless throughout and did my feet ever get a workout tapping along to the sweet sounds from start to finish! Can't wait to hear more feedback on this one!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Joti Cover, gr8trak, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  11. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

2 quick comments on Roots & Herbs-

1. For folks who dig Wayne Shorter as a performer and composer, he penned all 6 songs on this LP.

2. I don’t always read the liner notes on the back of Blue Note releases (shame on me). There is a very funny Blakey story on the back of this release. A must read for those who have this.

IanL, Joti Cover, mktracy and 9 others like this.
  12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I received Roots and Herbs today but it has to go through quarantine fie a couple of days. While I’m waiting, I’m planning on re-reading the Mosaic box book.

Joti Cover and 99khan like this.
  13. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat but was half expecting it!

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have ordered twice from the Blue Note site. Because they are as slow as mol-asses I have the mindset now of just forgetting about the order. Then three months later I have a surprise in the mail and go "Oh yeah, cool! I forgot about these."

So far I havent double dipped unknowingly. Im sure thatll happen though:sigh:

Jerry James and Dignan2000 like this.
  15. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

It's a good thing that you are doing this. Safety first. Packages I receive (Amazon, Target, MMJ, udiscover, etc...) stay in the garage for three days before I open them and/or bring them inside the house. Makes me wonder if others practice the same. I can only assume responses/reactions would be just as divided as any issue today. :(

16. Kimiimacman

As my wife is on the vulnerable list due to type 1 diabetes, we clean and or quarantine everything that comes in, groceries with a bleach solution for example. For my record deliveries (so many!) I open each mailer, wipe down each LP’s plastic covering with 70%+ alcohol solution, wash hand thoroughly and off we go.:goodie:

Joti Cover, Dai, scotti and 2 others like this.
  17. Kimiimacman

Fair enough but the US site has shown the last 3 titles with a release date for Dec 11th for ages and as they all come from RTI rather than an EU press it’s clear to me BN (U.K.) knew that Nov 20th wasn’t on.

Anyway, it gives me time to digest all the other fantastic records I’ve bought this month;

John Coltrane. A Love Supreme
    John Coltrane. Ballads
    Nine Simone. I Put A Spell On You
    Nine Simone. Pastel Blues
    Bobby Hutcherson. Oblique
    Jimmy Smith. Prayer Meeting
    Lang Lang. Goldberg Variations
    Rafael Kubelík. Ma Vlast (My Country)

Joti Cover, Tlay, djost and 2 others like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You are not alone here. My wife and I sanitize everything that comes in our house, including our records. Here is a funny but very serious story. When our copy of the One Step of Ah Um arrived a few weeks ago, we cleaned the outside of the box (in masks and gloves) and then wiped down the actual record with those special wipes. I was going to put the record aside and not open it for a couple weeks, but then my wife noticed that some moisture had gotten though on the actual box containing the record which of course is textured like. Somehow I was able to stay calm and got the shrink wrap off and dry the box before it left permanent water marks. The things we go through to protect our precious records.

By the way, your above list of records you will be digesting is sweet as can be. Just listened to Prayer Meeting the other day and that one is ever so smooth. Just love that song "Stone Cold Dead In The Market". I just got both of those Nina Simone's yesterday but ran out of steam after I listened to "Roots & Herbs", but hope to find time today to get to those, as I am really looking forward to listening to them.

19. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

We could go in and digitally try to eliminate all sonic warts, but I choose not to do that with this series

I for one are so glad that you took this approach, my old pops was a good friend of Ronnie Scott and always said that records didn't sound like listening to him and the guys live, as often a note or something going on at the club in the background always stuck out live and thats why he liked the feeling of listening in person so much more than records, these "imperfections" no matter how they arrive, that you've left in Joe, to me add to them being authentic, outside of all that i can only say thankyou for the TP's as this series are the best records i've ever had the pleasure and fortune to own and listen to ...keep up the great work into 2021 and beyond ...:tiphat:

Bill Why Man likes this.
  20. Good advice, however I frequently pre order from Amazon and they’ve all done in at about $2 or $3 more than this direct sale. So though not quite as cheap, I get to enjoy the new releases every month.

shawnwes and paulmock like this.
  21. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Made a 2 hour, 43km round trip on the road bike to collect Oblique and The Phantom this morning. Felt good. Listening to The Phantom now with a Rusty Nail (whisky and Drabuie).

Joti Cover, GyroSE, Arknine and 2 others like this.
  22. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Tone Poet release days always bring a bit of joy. This Blakey record cooks! Just as it should
    [​IMG]

Joti Cover, gr8trak, funknik and 8 others like this.
  23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I believe everyone should do what they feel is necessary and consider safe for themselves but I also draw your attention to this article in the New York Times about the usefulness of scrubbing surfaces and the like.

The Coronavirus Is Airborne Indoors. Why Are We Still Scrubbing Surfaces?

24. Bodhi

Bodhi Forum Resident

Is udiscover notoriously slow with shipping?

Ordered Etcetera, Cornbread, and Hustlin' on 11/6 and still haven't received a shipping notification. All were in stock at the time but Etcetera and Cornbread now showing out of stock which has me wondering if I will be waiting on these for a while...

25. Not a Tone Poet but a fantastic new release from vibes player Joel Ross on Bluenote. Support newer Bluenote artists.

[​IMG]