Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

But it's really great to now have the full Stone Free performance. AFAIR it had always been incomplete before, even on the - otherwise comprehensive - Rock of Ages grey market release.

DTK likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

From what Billy Cox points out in the doc, it looks like the concert was held a few hundred yards from a road, within view of the local school/community centre.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Interesting. The old narrative is it was held in a meadow up on a hill.

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yep, the great "played near the crater" myth. One of the interviewees in the doc talks about going up to the crater thinking the concert was up there only to find no one was there, making his way back down he came across where the gig was actually being held.

EVOLVIST, Purple Jim and DTK like this.
  5. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

I speculate what film was lost. What I notice is that there are several long uninterrupted sections of film on the bluray of Jimi in Maui. One section contains the end of Hear My Train, a complete Voodoo Child and the first part of Fire. Another section contains Dolly Dagger, Villanova Junction and a bit of Ezy Ryder. Another sections contains the end of Ezy Ryder, a full Red House and a large part of Freedom. Each section is somewhat over 10 minutes. These sections are filmed with a camera in the front of Jimi. In the Rainbow Bridge film you see several shots made by the same camera during Hey Baby, In From The Storm, Foxy Lady, Hear My Train, Voodoo Child, Purple Haze and the Hey Baby of the second show. Only tiny bits are used here and I suspect that the film sections used here are also 10+ minutes long.

I think there is another now lost roll which contains Hey Baby and In From the Storm. Another one with Foxy Lady and the start of Hear My Train and maybe some of Message To Love. And another roll with Purple Haze. The short bit with Hey Baby of the second show intrigues me. Footage of Red House seems to partly have been used here, and a bit of footage of Hey Baby itself. Maybe that now lost roll continued until Stone Free.

And maybe there was a lot more. Perhaps Spanish Castle Magic, Lover Man, Beginnings and Straight Ahead were also partly film with this camera.

The Beave likes this.
  6. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

A very Nice surprise to get the new track on the menu screens.

I have only watched the documentary so far. I like it. Well balanced and good interviews to really help understand the background. It does have a lot pf film clips from other shows that have mostly circulated with collectors before in pristine Quality such as Atlanta 68, HIC 70 among others. Anyone know where the BW footage early in the doc is from? Or do train spotters have a full rundown of all the clips in the documentary not from Maui yet? There is also some footage in the doc of Red House from Newport

One thing about the Maui footage at least in the doc. The “new” footage looks way better than the old Rainbow Bridge footage. Plus the old footage is the same edit indicating they did not go back to the original camera footage. I might even say the Rainbow Bridge footage looks better on the Laserdisc than the parts in this release from Rainbow Bridge. I’ll have to a compare at some point. The “new” footage particularly from the late show in the documentary is fantastic quality almost pristine!

Considering there is not the option to watch the raw camera feeds like u can on IOW and Monterey I would have to say once again “all footage” is misleading. EH possibly has put together an edit of multiple camera for everything they could but there were many times multiple cameras were running concurrently so without the raw feeds there are various camera angles left out of this edit. Still glad to have this nice edit with way more material than Rainbow Bridge has. Cant wait to watch more more than just the documentary.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. Experiencereunited

Yes I believe there may be some previously unreleased studio material there too. Unfortunately I found myself straining to hear it around the talking head talking over it!

While nice to watch maybe a few times. After a while with all these docs you just want to hear uninterrupted Jimi.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. Experiencereunited

For anyone wondering the stoned Jimi Raps with Chuck Wein and Pat Hartley from Rainbow Bridge are not in the documentary.

9. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

About 6 and a half seconds of the start of Hey Baby on the second CD has been cut out, approximately after Jimi says "thank you very much thank you man".

Experiencereunited likes this.
  10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Maybe they should have said "all existing useable footage". In the bootleg version there is quite a bit of bad footage that is not really watchable, film rot maybe. I'd have to dig the boot out to see which songs, can't recall off the top of my head.

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Rightly so, it's dreadful.

The Beave and All Down The Line like this.
  12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Looks like we figured right that the concert footage would be the only parts of the film included. In the choice between obtaining the rights to the film or focusing just on the concert, they made the right one.

Would’ve liked to have heard from Pat, considering she’s all over the 1973 film and would be far more relevant here.

vinyldreams likes this.
  13. Experiencereunited

After watching the early show bonus footage I think “the old” Rainbow Bridge footage looks a lot better than it does in the documentary itself.

Mark7 likes this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Listening now to the audio and there is the weird tapping going on (In from the storm), i thought it was someone outside the house tapping on my windows etc it must be the original drum track before the overdub was put on, it sounds bloody awful and really distracting with headphones :(

15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Interestingly she is not but I didn't notice until it was mentioned here as I found the doc fascinating. Interviews of her do exist, I know she's in "A Film About Jimi Hendrix" but I don't recall her talking about Rainbow Bridge. This is either an oversight or she declined or there is bad blood or she was too expensive. It would have been great to hear her part of the story.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

With today's technology, it is possible to trigger 100% new drum tracks off of a very faint and horrible sounding original signal.

The Beave and Marty T like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Just listening to the Bob Terry tape version and while taping he says that the band only "...stopped for an intermission" between Purple Haze and Dolly Dagger, so it's not really a first show and second show.

The Beave likes this.
  18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

ok, but why not stop the cameras during the beginnings of the songs and start them for the solos?

19. Purple Jim

That's a shame. All they had to do was put it in the bonus section. Perhaps that sequence is tied up with the rights to the actual movie Rainbow Bridge which Experience Hendrix don't have?
    I suppose that means that Jimi shooting the guy with an old musket is also absent?

DTK likes this.
  20. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Just my opinion here, we don’t know how much film was on hand, the intention was to film a documentary, not a concert. Also, you have to remember the time frame, I doubt very highly they were thinking about the Hendrix legacy as the greatest guitar player ever, in their wildest dreams, bands at the time didn’t think they would have the staying power that we’re seeing now. Personally, I’m thrilled at what we have in this release, much more than most believed we would get and in great quality, I think we should appreciate what we do have.

21. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Genius level playing on Villanova Junction, the crown jewel of the concert for me.

22. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

That's included somewhere on that BR disc :)

Kurt Max and Purple Jim like this.
  23. No, it's there. They use plenty of footage from the Rainbow Bridge film.

What show is this? I'm not up on my Hendrix film near as much as I probably should be.

Purple Jim likes this.
  24. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I went to the site a few years back on an incentive trip my wife's company was giving. If you ever make it to Maui it's near Olinda. You take Olinda Rd. north and the site is on the right. What's beautiful is it hasn't really changed from what it looked like in Rainbow Bridge. It is indeed near Olinda Rd. and a road that goes to the right off of Olinda Rd.; which I can't recall the name of. I just remember it was as close to heaven on earth than I ever could imagine; simply gorgeous. It's an elevated site to where it seems you can see forever.

25. Purple Jim

[​IMG]

Cool!

squittolo, SG47 and DTK like this.