TV shows that have not been shown on TV in a long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 8, 2019.

1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I loved this show as a kid & two years ago I saw the 1961 movie & loved it too. I would love to see an updated movie of this but they must use the original Seaview.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Before there was X-Files there was... The Invaders. Alien beings from a dying planet,
    it all began at a closed deserted diner...
    I haven't seen it in 5o years, but it was
    pretty entertaining for it's time. It probably holds up well as nostalgia now.
    If it has been on recently, I've completely missed it.

This is the opening to the episode called The Ransom.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If there are any Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea experts here, I'd like to identify one episode that I loved as a kid (because it scared the hell out of me).
    In hte episode, a giant caterpillar snakey thing gets into the sub and causes havoc. Which episode would that be?

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

THE INVADERS also airs on the Saturday Night science-fiction block on MeTV. I think it's midnight Eastern time.

5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Well I'll be, what a celebration that will be! Indeed it will be on at midnight on Saturday on MeTV. Thanks for
    posting that. I guess it would have kept getting missed.

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea is running on MeTV at 2AM Sundays.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

On the Roku app. now

Jamey K and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Re Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea - the 'snakey thing' episode could be the first season episode; 'The Price of Doom' written by Harlan Ellison as 'Cord Wainer Bird' - with guest stars David Opatashu and Jill Ireland where a monstrous plankton thing gets loose on Seaview...

that is a black and white episode - if the episode remembered was in color than clearly it was not that one but a later season episode

the original Seaview has a number of smaller glass windows in the nose and that was in the 1961 color film and the black & white first season - tho' stock footage of it in color features later on....however from color season two a new model with two large windows in the nose plus a laser beam in the light and of course the flying sub hatch doors below under the nose section together with a much larger control room set than in season one features

- obviously Admiral Nelson (and Irwin Allen's team) re-designed the Seaview during a major refit between seasons one and two !

however stock footage from the color 1961 film was still used in later color seasons so Seaview from time to time alters during a color episode depending on the footage being used...

9. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Hill Street Blues

905, JeffreyB and MikeInFla like this.
  10. Danny B

Danny B New Member

I loved that show and so bummed it's nowhere to be found. There were 22 Episodes total and you can find segments from two of them if you search YouTube.

I hate that this show has been buried. I contacted the media company that purchased the show around 2014 I believe, pretending that I was a big shot producer and interested in buying episodes and was told they were "in the vault" with no plans to release them. It started with A&E and showed at times on History Channel as they were dipping their toes into collector shows (Like Pickers that started there).

Regardless.... no more show. Not a trace. :-( Oh and I found this thread doing what I do every couple years; Google search for one of my favorite collectors shows.

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

There was a show I enjoyed when I was a kid that was similar to The Twilight Zone. I can't remember the name of it but it might have been called "The Red Room". I looked around and could not find anything about it so I may have gotten the name wrong.

EDIT: I found it, it was called The Dark Room. Tons of stars on the show including a young Helen Hunt. I particularly remember the episode with the toy Army soldiers that come to life.

Darkroom (TV Series 1981–1982) - IMDb

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    JohnO likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Not the 9 o'clock news

RIP Mel Smith

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

What a shame. It’s really sad that the show is underrated.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I remember him from the movie Brain Donors (it was a remake of the Marx Brothers movie A Night At The Opera). He played the Chico role.

DISKOJOE and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Hill St Blues is in regular rotation on the H&I network.

905 likes this.
  16. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Another idea is to come out your pockets and buy the series on DVD.

17. James Slattery

Not a great show by any means. I recorded them when they aired on ABC and bought the series on DVD when it came out in Australia. Also, I believe Sci Fi channel ran it in the 90s.

18. Hey if more people did that maybe they would figure out some way to bring it to us 0n Blu-Ray. The DVD’s look really good with the expecting of a couple of first season episodes where they couldn’t find 35mm film and had to use 16mm syndication prints or interpolate missing footage with inferior sources.

19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I don't remember a lot about it. I loved it but then again I was 10 years old when I first saw it so 40 years later it is something I could go back and watch and then think "hmmm... What did I ever see in this show?!?" (kind of like the Dukes Of Hazzard - loved it at 10 years old, can't sit thru 2 minutes of it now). Would still like to see it sometime.

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

905 and MikeInFla like this.
  21. James Slattery

The DVD set came out 10 years ago and is long out of print.

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Eight is Enough

23. James Slattery

Been watching those every night on the DVDs.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  24. James Slattery

San Francisco Beat (aka The Lineup) ran for over 200 episodes in the 50s and hasn't aired anywhere since the 70s.

25. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

I'll stand corrected, but I'm guessing most 1960's westerns would qualify.