Who originated this style of singing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This is passé since 2006

ArpMoog and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's an example of when it was something different and new. Here we are 18 years later with loads of substandard imitators. I don't even slightly blame Norah Jones for that.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes. Just too cutey pie. A pain.

4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Hollie Fullbrook/Tiny Ruins sang like that when she was performing solo, as though she was about to fall asleep (unlistenable, I could only get through Side 1 of her debut album), but has a much improved, direct vocal style now with a full band behind her.

5. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This style is called "hip-singing," and there are several videos that make fun of it. Below is the funniest one (to me). Here is a link to another.

(Update: This might be the most clever video about this subject.)

I trace this style back to Elizabeth Frasier of Cocteau Twins, specifically the way she started to sing around 1990. I think Amy Winehouse and Regina Spektor were channeling her when they developed their styles.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Dylan impersonating was the go to for crap singers for years! Unusually, Lou Reed was a good singer until he wasn't.

7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

:biglaugh:

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It definitely right to give a 16 year old a break, but what's wrong with disliking polar opposites? Given the choice I'd take the overproduced glitz, at least it's usually unashamedly throwaway pop, not trying to put across an authenticity that often sounds more contrived than chart pop and says just as little.

Sear likes this.
  9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Absolutely

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It made me laugh though, especially the percussionist who seemed to be playing an infant child's toy.

Have you ever heard or seen a more boring drummer? The percussionist was probably there to try and compensate for the drummer being crap. It didn't work.

geo50000 and Sear like this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I mentioned several years ago that in talking to younger people (early - mid 20s) about music, they strongly preferred singing that did not sound professional as it seemed fake to them. So if you regard anything professional or technically assured as fake in terms of emotional content, you will presumably gravitate to those styles and voices which sound the least professional and accomplished. I suppose there are a number of ways to not sound like a professional singer and we are just cycling through those possibilities.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's more cycling around in circles back to the same style or a bike that is stuck.

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The indie scene is a big cliché since long ago. It's the backlash of the "amateur", "DIY" thing...in the 1980s it could be charming but now it's a tired trick.
    Professionality please

ashiya and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

That's what cycles do. I didn't mean bicycles.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

To some extent, professionalism without creativity or charisma is repulsive.

I don't mind the idea of people with only the slightest ability to play getting a group together and moving quickly. It's the lack of interesting or original ideas, sound and personality that's the problem.

Ryan Lux, Eric_Generic and Sear like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know, it admit that was a crappy comment from me. Very poor. :)

Mr Bass likes this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I agree with everything

18. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

This thread made me laugh. When I hear this singing style come on I turn it off.

cleandan and Sear like this.
  19. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

All The Pretty Horses is a lovely little song, just a simple folk tune. That is as good a rendition as any, the singing style fits it well, I would rather hear it like this than overdone by a "great singer".

I enjoy that scratchy plaintive broken sound. At least she isn't completely morphing the syllables, like "Auull the Preaatty Liaattle Hooiirse-ahs" . . lol. Which bugged me at first, but now try to sing along, it isn't easy!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    boyfromnowhere likes this.
  20. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

I think Jewell began this with the god-awful who will save your soul song...

fndrblndr likes this.
  21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Maybe the OP's example is folk, but you hear this kind of "detached" singing in a lot of advertisements and on current TV dramas. and in that context it is almost never folk. Not my thing, but I like it more than autotune.

22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I definitely hear some Feist there, thank for that.

And it's not just boomers that make fun of vocal fry.

23. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Which (I'm sure no one here cares) hasn't really been feted on the show in a long time. Nowadays they push this style of singing, I believe Maddie Poppe who won two years ago is like this, and country singers.

24. I’d rather have this than the over singing/emotive style that is also current.

25. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

Morrissey