Who originated this style of singing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I know what you're getting at but this singing style is not straightforward, somewhat plain and unadorned, it's not Shirley Collins, it's mannered and affected. Also it's someone else's mannerisms and affectations.

2. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

...or Ian Curtis

3. Didn’tfeelathing

Didn’tfeelathing Forum Resident

Not the origin but I believe the Elizabeth Fraser vocal on ‘Teardrop’ by Massive Attack was definitely one of the seeds that popularised the vocal styling. And it’s a classic track.

Unfortunately as mentioned above it has now been distilled down to 80’s cover tunes in advertisements complete with ukulele, xylophone & handclaps.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Its a baby lullaby. Many women speak and sing to babies in a higher softened out articulation. I suppose some use that type of singing on many of their songs. Since it is a baby lullaby, it should not have any edge which is what the singer has done. The singing fits in this case. I suppose it fits in the case of other songs with upbeat lyrics that are meant to convey happiness, cheer or comfort.
    Women singers have gained a lot of numbers over the years. I suppose it comes down to not liking that sound of passivity.
    This sound has permeated the ads on TV which are sung by women and sometimes men in high loosely articulated voices.

5. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Nothing else to contribute except: here's a palette cleanser of same song, OP.

Moshe, cleandan, Retropsych and 2 others like this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

There's nothing I care less about in music than authenticity.

I just think that very often 'round here, it gets to be a bunch of cranky old dudes just enjoying being cranky and dumping on young musicians, though the definition of "young" is fairly malleable.

7. misteranderson

Um, ok, it's a mannered, affected approach in an attempt to sound straightforward and plain. Satisfied?

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The question was “who originated it” and Norah Jones is a God.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Not true. We enjoy dumping on old musicians as well, like Bono and Stink....er, sorry I meant "Sting."

T

Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. misteranderson

I don't hear Norah or Amy Winehouse at all in this style. Early LDR a little, and Rickie Lee a little too, but Rickie Lee's first four and a half albums are some of my favorite music of all time.

Honestly, this kind of singing doesn't put me off. Nobody's putting a gun to my head to force me to listen to it.

Bono & Sting are responsible for some great music. I don't understand the hate for them here at all.

11. Celebrated Summer

Sting is like the Dr. Oz of rock stars -- an erotic fantasy for bored, lonely middle aged women. Remember "Spread A Little Happiness?" How about we spread some Philadelphia cream cheese instead? It's actually less cheesy.

As for Bono: "This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealing it back."

12. misteranderson

I doubt you've ever spent more than 30 seconds actually listening to either one. See ya.

131east23 and Sear like this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm a bit confused (yeah, for a change!). On the one hand I totally get the fatigue that some have with the prevalence of all these kind of singers/performers. And the reasons why they are seen as more authentic can equally grind my gears.

But then I'm seeing a lot of my all-time favourite female voices being name-checked along the way (LDR, RLJ, Norah, Liz Fraser), so.....eh... :shrug::laugh:

EG.

Man at C&A and misteranderson like this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You are implying that bored and lonely middle aged women haven't good musical taste.
    Sting is a talented guy

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

What would a folk ad be anyway?

16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Both are toxic

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Celebrated Summer

Sad to say, I spent hours and hours in the dorm rooms of college girls listening to more Sting than any human should endure. U2 was played non-stop at my old college newspaper by an editor who had some of their albums on cassette and used to sing along: "In the naaaaaaame of love!!"

Even back then I used to bust on U2's "MLK," asking why they did a song about "milk" but left the "i" out. I got on people's nerves with this in the Reagan Era, so it's good to see I've maintained that quality. Consistency is an obsession of mine.

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The John Lewis xmas ads are a good (ie terrible) example....the worst being Lily Allen's horrendous simplification of Somewhere Only We Know. Which turns an epic, beautiful widescreen soft rock tune into a bad busker outside Primark on a cold afternoon.

(And this is someone who loves Lilly's detached, estuary vocal on The Fear).

EG.

Man at C&A and Blank Frank like this.
  19. misteranderson

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. What a wtty post.

Oops! I left the "i" out, just like Bono. Take care.

ARK and Sear like this.
  20. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Or the theme song to the alternate history show “The Man In The High Castle,” a version of “Edelweiss” that is exactly in this style. Yuck.

Retropsych likes this.
  21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't think the song you posted is a very good example of the affect you're talking about.

22. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

And so the great SHF Pretty Horses shootout begins!

My vote goes to the OP version.

ECK likes this.
  23. Yep.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No it isn't. There's nothing wrong with people commenting on their likes and dislikes in music, whether they're from 2020 or any previous year. The 80s certainly get a lot of criticism and are hardly new. There's also plenty of positive threads on new music. Most people here, including you, post mostly positive and some negative opinions on music from most eras. It's the way it should be, no-one likes or dislikes everything or most things.

Relikk, MikeM, CousinCheebo and 3 others like this.
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I think we’re just a bunch of bitter old farts.

rfkavanagh likes this.