Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

absolutely. and on the flip side, lemmings who lap at the teat of blind consumerism enable con men to set $100 price tags for a run of 1,000 records with a swirl pattern.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Amen to that.

Spadeygrove, Sean, Tom Wabe and 3 others like this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

That happens to be a huge part of the whole reason this forum exists, but hey. You do you.

4. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

The deference is those items came out with a reasonable retail value and appreciated in value on the secondary market. TMR didn't sell them for $1800. How do you not see this?

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m sure this hard-hitting exposé has shamed ABKCO (and the Stones themselves, who just released an ultra limited red vinyl pressing of their post-ABKCO album Goat’s Head Soup briefly available only at one or two “pop up stores”) into never issuing any more colored vinyl ever again.

The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

6. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Actually this vid was helpful to me. I hadn’t realised that Abkco were trying to pass off a totally common splatter / mixed colour vinyl record with some flim-flam about the unique nature of each one ( when every such record is unique). I had actually imagined something far more special ( as in, actually special at all) . We have a round iced cake on the cover with glacé cherries. I was picturing some kind of crafted piece that echoed the look and colours of that. It’s kind of obvious isn’t it? ( well it was to me). So what we actually have is something that I have quite a number of on other titles - they’re very common and they retail at around £20. I might have picked one of these up if I’d had the chance and, personally, as a Stones collector, I’m relieved to find that I don’t need this.

There’s no poster. There’s no little A5 Decca catalogue.

Actually - I’ll one up - possibly four up - an earlier poster on this thread. I have this unboxed, one mono, one stereo, stickered, poster, first state inners and each with the Decca catalogue given to first customers.

7. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Those are Discogs aftermarket asking prices you’re referring us to. The record in the Stones store was conventionally priced. It’s not the same thing at all.

Lost In The Flood, Shawn and aphexj like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You've outdone me for certain! :)

I only have the Let It Bleed I have because it's what I found back in the early - mid 90s cheap when I was buying the Stones LPs for the first time. I got lucky with some sought after original pressings.

The catalogue wasn't part of it though. This doesn't mean I wouldn't love one and I agree, at the price the poster, catalogue and proper inner sleeve should be replicated in this.

I've never seen an original US Let It Bleed inner sleeve.

GerryO, Tom Wabe and Sean like this.
  9. motionoftheocean

They’re choosing not get it.

No matter how you feel about RSD, the size of your bank account or The Rolling Stones, there’s really only 4 ways you cannot get the point:

1) you paid $300 on eBay
    2) you’re hoping to sell the record yourself
    3) you’re a member of the Jagger or Richards estates
    4) you post clips of yourself dancing on TikTok

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Or someone can simply think grown-ups are capable of deciding for themselves how to spend their money. You think colored vinyl or splattered vinyl or limited edition records are a hoax played on the “lemmings”? Fine, I get it. I think all sorts of things other people choose to spend their money on are stupid. But anyone who chooses to buy this record because they collect the Stones or collect records in general isn’t a “sap.” And no one who read the Record Store Day list is being fooled by misleading advertising. The selling point was always a small batch of uniquely colored vinyl. It’s up to each Stones fan to decide whether the uniquely colored vinyl is worth $99 to him or her.

quicksrt and Man at C&A like this.
  11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I for one had highly different expectations prior to unboxing, I was even considering buying one myself prior to seeing the copies show up in my shop (we didn't open one up but I laughed when I saw the flimsy single pocket jacket when I had heard it was going to have special packaging). After watching the video it cemented me not wanting a copy. Hand pours are a lot more common than I think a lot of collectors realize, I'm spinning my Tennis System "Lovesick" and it's beautiful and sounds pretty good and it set me back a whole $20. Sure there is licensing and they aren't even a blip on the radar compared to the Stones but $100 price tag is laughable no matter what the aftermarket price is going to be, they don't cost that much more to manufacture than a standard colored record, otherwise all these small labels wouldn't be doing hand pours. I also find it a moot point they decided to open one unless you were planning on lining up at their store on Black Friday, the amount of record stores who will have any leftover stock of this title by the time record stores can sell online is going to be miniscule these will sell out to the first 10 or so people in line at almost every record store.

murch and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  12. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

All the RSD website has is the manufacturer provided hype. Nobody including me had any idea what this looked like or was. If you watch my video and still choose to buy this there is nothing wrong with that. My hope is that public outcry forces these guys to put out a better product. Something that they are capable of. We are the consumers. We hold all the cards. If we don't buy it they wont make it.

13. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Amen.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Oh no, someone let the cat out of the bag and let people know exactly what this package's contents were. :eek:

Some people will literally defend anything. In this cash, a blatant and shameless cash grab.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Here’s the relevant part of the description from the 2020 Black Friday list from the RSD website:

The 2019 remaster has been engineered by eleven-time Grammy®-winning mastering engineer Bob Ludwig. Each copy of this exclusive collector's edition is handcrafted on the press, using layers of color on top of one another to create a truly unique edition. Due to the nature of the manual process to pour each color onto the press by hand, each piece is unique in design. Hand-numbered Certificate of Authenticity included.

Three things were promised: 1) this is a vinyl record of Let It Bleed mastered by Bob Ludwig, 2) each “hand-poured” color vinyl pressing is unique, and 3) each copy contains a certificate of authenticity. After watching your video, it appears to me that, unless this record was in fact mastered by Keith Richards, or is a mispress using the plates used to press Metamorphosis for the last Record Store Day, these promises have been kept.

Anyone expecting a facsimile edition or posters did so at their own risk. The Super Deluxe box of Let It Bleed from last year made some effort to achieve that goal, although anyone who owns the original pressings of Stones records knows that they can never hope to truly duplicate the card stock or printing processes from 1969, etc. The “facsimile” of the stereo Let It Bleed in that box makes an effort to recreate the original UK Decca stereo inner sleeve, yet the actual label on the LP is a US London label. I didn’t buy that set expecting an exact replica of an original stereo or mono pressing, and I certainly wasn’t expecting this record to be an exact replica, either. For better or for worse, the selling point here was the promise that each copy would feature uniquely colored vinyl.

We’ll see how customers vote with their wallets.

marcb likes this.
  16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yes. It will sell out. There are only 900 copies. They tend to sell out when record companies artificially create demand. Big deal.

17. motionoftheocean

On a related note, concert ticket sales indicate NSYNC are among the most important artists of the last half-century. Film at 11.

havenz and Lost In The Flood like this.
  18. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

"This is a crime against the vinyl community"

A.K.A = crimyl. :D

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Universal Music Group have the manufacturing license for that album, and the band's merch (through their imprint Bravado), they are the ones who decided to issue the varied colour vinyl to promote those shops not the band

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The promo hype, which he quotes, does make it sound like the record is more special than it is. What we learn from the video are two things: The packaging is boring and doesn't even compare to the original, and the look of the "hand poured" vinyl is really no great shakes (YMMV on that one). Good info to have.

I wasn't planning to hunt after this anyway, but if I was I'd now be losing less sleep.

21. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Those ‘promises‘ though...
    1. The Bob Ludwig remastering is not unique to this release, it’s been around and available for a couple of years.
    2. Every multi coloured vinyl record is ‘unique’. They always have been. It’s so bloody obvious that no one uses that fact in a sales pitch. To use that mundane fact to justify a record costing five times the price of any other ‘hand pour’ vinyl is deliberately disingenuous. My next door neighbour has a cool little garage band. His new LP is remarkably similar in its colour-way to this dubious Stones artefact. It retails at £20.
    Even as an experienced collector, even having some background in record manufacture, I read the promo blurb on this and had to assume that a more unusual process was being described.
    3. As ever with Abkco, the utterly meaningless ‘certificate of authenticity’ looks to have been put together by the optically challenged designer of the world’s most aesthetically displeasing church newsletter.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I never said it was worth any price. I never commented on quality, price or value.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I sense that the demand for this LP is going through the roof! And I'm fine with folks thinking it's a poor value cash grab. The "In" Groove will have no problem unloading this for a hundred if they don't stash it away for a year or two, and then flip it!

DK Pete likes this.
  24. Poster or not, I'm still going to try and track this down locally and if not, I'm happy to pay double the original price tag for something I find unique and that I like.

apple-richard, Peachy and DK Pete like this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

And at least you’re informed, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.