Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

The Electric Recording Company.

Spencer R and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. That's correct!

Big Blue and Ben Adams like this.
  3. giantleech

Maybe Phoenix record store guy received the most "blah" looking pour. Some of those out there still sealed in their unbroken shrink could be all-time mind blowing kaleidoscopic flashback-inducing marvels of color and psychedelic wonderment.

4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...and by the same token he might have the best example...

5. giantleech

In that case the skies the limit for what he can ask at resale! (through a second hand shill-seller, of course, just to be safe.)

Spencer R likes this.
  6. Avenging Robot

I'd use the phrase, "the best of a poor lot" rather than, "the skies the limit.".

But that's just me.

7. McCartney never would have foisted this razzle dazzle on his fans if this were a Beatles reissue. This kind of release cheapens record collecting. The whole point of this release was supposed to blow us all away with some kind of hereuntofore pimped-out eye-grabbing version of one of the best rock and roll albums of the 1960s. I too considered trying to snag a copy of this. I am thankful for the In The Groove video. I can now breathe more easily about buying my son that Stratocaster Professional for Christmas. If I see another RSD item described this way in the future, I'll certainly be wary.

8. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Just took a look at my original inner sleeve and it's sort of pink with info printed on one side. Mint vinyl looks really bad. Really have to wonder if I ever played it and listened to it closely...

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. giantleech

In that case "the best of a poor lot" for what he can ask at resale!

Not seeing where your preferred reconfigured sentence here makes any sort of sense but, well.., okay then.

10. Avenging Robot

Not much to explain, if Mike's example is underwhelming and the other 899 even more so, Mike's copy is the best of a poor lot.

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

At least we know this one isn't warped!

12. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

He is critical of the release before he ever opens it just based on the packaging. There is nothing in the record store day description that suggests there is anything special about the packaging other than the certificate of authenticity which he seems somewhat surprised to see. As far as the record itself, he says that it looks pretty cool.

Maybe he didn't read the description before he ordered it or he ordered it to criticize it on you tube. I'm guessing the latter.

Spencer R likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

It’s $100 for a swirl pattern.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

He's being pessimistic rather than optimistic. A negative outlook. Some people's glass is only 1/3 full, they never even get 1/2 empty of it.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not really swirl or splatter here.

giantleech likes this.
  16. Avenging Robot

I'm just balancing out the, "mind blowing kaleidoscopic flashback-inducing marvels of color and psychedelic wonderment" outlook of the pattern. In hindsight, a swirl or splatter probably would have been the more aesthetically pleasing choice.

As for your glass analogy:
    Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

quicksrt likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

McCartney’s new album is being offered in nine different colored vinyl variations, including one limited to 333 copies that sold out within minutes of its announcement. Plus, as I understand it, four different colored CDs, each of which has an exclusive bonus track. So you have to buy four different CDs to get the four different bonus tracks.

More (and we mean more!) McCartney III Variations

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What's the larger problem - that they would produce such a thing and put it out there, or that there are people who would happily pay that much for it?

I see a lot of Vinyl-heads worrying about what color their Vinyl is. So you end up with things like this. The Vinyl market is really, really, strange. IMO.

Lost In The Flood and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

So you’re telling me that Mick Jagger doesn’t sign off on every decision involving that part of their catalog their Stones do own and control (I’m aware they have rather less sway over their ABKCO catalog), and the pop-up store red vinyl Goat’s Head Soup, as well as the online exclusive clear Goat’s Head Soup vinyl with alternate cover art, and all of the other Stones product out there just magically appears because the record company decides to release it without consulting Mick and the Stones?

20. Avenging Robot

I think it's a bit of both. The product doesn't justify the retail pricing and there's an overall lack of effort. I'm not crazy about what they attempted to do with the coloured vinyl - to me it shows no pride of workmanship. If they all more or less look like Mike's copy, I would have halted making any more after doing the first test pressing and figured out how to make the vinyl look a little more aesthetically pleasing.

bRETT likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I guess for some record store owners, and music fans in general, it’s a problem that record collectors like to collect records. Looking forward to the video exposing the 40th anniversary white vinyl reissue of U2’s Boy as a fraud and a sham as well. Why not just wash your hands of Record Store Day altogether and pursue the honorable path of only selling old 70s records?

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Bingo.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Maybe the Electric Recording Company could in fact pull that off. But, as you well know, they are routinely attacked for their attention to such detail, their pursuit of authentic period sound quality, and the price they charge for their products. Although, as with this Stones record, no one is being forced to buy anything they don’t want.

24. Avenging Robot

1. I'm pretty sure the only thing the Electric Recording Company gets attacked for is their price.
    2. For the ABKCO record, nobody should commend piss poor effort and workmanship or justify it by saying, "Well hey, some sucker is going to buy it regardless".

25. giantleech

Think of the madness that would ensue with people trying to get their hands on 1 of the 300 copies (despite the high-coinage entry fee) of either the mono or stereo mixes that ERC would unleash.

Spencer R likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.