Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not true. The Bob Terry source is the best sounding "bootleg" source and it's not better quality than this official release, unless one prefers overdubbed drums on everything.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Kramer made rough mixes of those songs, likely for Hendrix's review upon his return from Europe. It is very doubtful Jimi ever heard them. These Maui performances are great archival recordings for fans to be able to listen to 50 years after the fact, but clearly they are inferior recordings that were not suitable for commercial release circa 1970/1971. One suspects Hendrix would have come to that determination (and Kramer certainly did after Jimi's death when he assembled Rainbow Bridge).

Also, look at what Kramer extracted for a rough mix. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) was allegedly intended as a centerpiece of Jimi's upcoming 4th studio album, so it is difficult to imagine that Jimi would have released a live version so soon after (presuming the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack was going to follow the 4th studio album). The same applies to In From The Storm, a dynamic studio take was likely to be released on the 4th studio album, so it doesn't seem likely a live version was going to immediately follow the release of the 4th studio album. Then you have to consider options for Hear My Train A Comin' -- Hendrix clearly had a vision for this song, and had recorded a handful of live versions as well as a couple of studio renditions between 1969-1970. After all of that, was he really going to compromise and release an inferior sounding recording of this blues tour de force (especially when he had a superior live recording and performance from Berkeley?

While I think there were some viable possibilities from the Maui tapes in terms of quality and unique performances, I just don't think the sound quality was going to be seen as an acceptable standard.

3. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Oh geez, this thread has drawn me in and re-activated my Jimi nerdness, lol. I thought I had kicked it!

I agree with every point you just made except Hear My Train from Berkeley. No way that was ever going to get released at least not without cutting the out of tune bits, especially Billy's bass. Yeah we have the technology these days to fix it but then? Not without much tweaking was that version going anywhere.

I've actually made notes on that one about where to edit, etc. I don't have the equipment or programs to do it though.

In my opinion the reason that version is so popular warts and all is it's an official release that everyone has heard. The Madison version, again i.m.o. is superior.

Jimi nerdness... out. ;-)

4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, it's up a hill. The town of Olinda seems to be at the base, and Olinda Rd. pretty much climbs from there. As we drove up Olinda Rd. in a rented jeep, we had no address, we were just looking for what looked like the site. On the right side while going up the road we saw a clearing that looked just like what's in the film RB, but we kept driving. Olinda Rd. ended at a gate that was private property and as we were turning around to go back the caretaker of the property pulled in behind us and wasn't at all happy with our presence there. After asking what are you people doing here we told him we were looking for the sight that Hendrix played the concert in 1970. His face immediately changed to a smile and he told us exactly where the location was to the mile ... and yes it was the sight we thought it was on the way up.

I'll never forget that guy, and the transformation of mood when we told him what we were looking for. We talked for about twenty minutes. He alone watched over some mansion and grounds at the top of that mountain in Maui for people while they were away (which from the sound of it was most of the time). A cool job for a guy that I get the feeling had had his fill of the rat race of everyday life. He was a Vietnam vet.

5. Yeah, goddamn! Over HIC is the studio version of "Straight Ahead" and then they cut to New York Pop, which I didn't recognize at first, because of the similar outfit that Jimi wore at both shows. I must have missed the "Randalls Island" caption, but I should have recognized the "Some people just don't understand...well, f**k them, god," line from New York Pop.

So, the sound and video is from New York Pop, not Honolulu. Sorry folks. :doh: While there is some Easter egg audio in the documentary and the main menu, Honolulu is not one of them. :cry:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    dee, DTK and adam_777 like this.
  6. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I have not seen the documentary (I don't own a blu-ray player). I think in the booklet Gerry Stickells and whoever lunged all those Marshall amps to that spot should have been thanked. Whenever I see Pat Hartley's name I think of her interviews in the film Hendrix (1973). I was always a bit amazed when I first saw the film Rainbow Bridge in the early 1990s. I knew who Chuck Wein was due to a fascination I had with the Velvet Underground at the time. I still wonder how he went from the Warhol crowd/slashing a whip around/dancing in flashing lights to being a laid back hippie guy.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

It's probably already been covered already, but is the documentary good? I'm quite curious about it. Also, how complete is the concert film?

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Not necessarily stoned but Beautiful.............:righton:
    Actually Jimi’s music sometimes does transforms ones state of mind, and on this occasion when I posted that I was indeed having a very good time with Jimi. And Sammy.
    Btw, Sammy says “Hello”,
    :edthumbs:
    Beave

footlooseman and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

A couple of notes

1.). The Hey Baby 2nd set footage from Rainbow Bridge is only in the documentary not in the bonus footage. This is during the credits on a truncated screen. It also cuts a little earlier that it does in Rainbow Bridge

2.). Only the documentary can be watched in 5.1 or stereo. The bonus footage is only in stereo. No 5.1.. so unless I have a defective copy that is a bit of a drag. Why do I want to watch a bunch of talking heads in 5.1? Yes there are clips in the documentary and I would say the ‘Maui clips in the documentary sound better than they do as bonus footage since they have a 5.1 mix. Initially I was kind of like there isnt much to work with to make it 5.1 so no big deal but the clips in the documentary from Maui are in 5.1 and they sound great. This treatment of the bonus footage makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  10. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

First time I saw Exit Stage Left...on “Night Flight”:edthumbs:

11. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

In terms of the original intent for music for the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack I thought Jimi had signed a agreement to write new material for it. Isn't that why the record company got so mad when they thought they were getting new material after such a long delay and Mike Jeffery informed them they would still have to buy it due to a soundtrack exclusion clause in the original contract with Yameta?

DTK likes this.
  12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The bonus footage is in 5.1 and it's more than just ambience in the rears, Jimi's guitar sometimes moves all around the room, some fretboard runs for instance. I'll stick my neck out and say it's the best mixed to surround live show of a three piece band I've ever heard, Kramer has worked in some real magic in this mix.

13. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

sounds like you met the real life Magnum P.I.

14. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I haven't received my copy yet. Question for those that have viewed it...does the video show the whole performance of Hear My Train ?

15. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

They confirmed that in the documentary and it sounds like the idea was that Jimi was allegedly going to compose a soundtrack specifically for the movie (one talking head implied it was to be improvised to the footage); I can't tell if the concert was then a way of providing music without having to record all new material or that they had just pressured Jimi into also giving a concert.

DTK likes this.
  16. The Beave

Just remember the Stones “Some Girls Texas 78”!
    I’ve been a HARD CORE STONES collector since 73, and I never came across anything, in any book mentioning that show or that it was filmed....NOTHING until all of the sudden it comes out!
    So, never say never.
    Hell, who knew, except for the dudes close friends, that that person snuck a Sony b&w reel to reel video recorder and taped the Whole Woodstock show?? One camera, and nobody asking for credentials!!!!
    But, BAM, it shows up on the Woodstock blu ray! How spoiled we really are that so many things have turned up that we didn’t even knew existed!
    Thank you God and thank you Jimi and thank you Jamie and all the tapers out of their mind to take such chances to do what they did!
    And now, I have to refill Jimi and Sammy’s drink. You know we’re spending the weekend together before they have to go back “Upstairs”!
    Beave

squittolo and Kurt Max like this.
  17. Experiencereunited

}

Well then maybe I have a defective copy. The bonus footage will not play in 5.1 and no matter what setting I set it on on the Blu Ray the bonus footage only plays in 2.0. This seems odd to me for sure. I though it may have been my equipment but the documents plays fine in 5.1

18. The Beave

Good points about sound quality POB. This issue sounds wonderful for what it is, but it’s far from the quality of a proper recording. And that in NO WAY means to be disparaging, Again, very happy about how this sounds. Amazing and I would LOVE to see a 2 hour documentary put out by EH on the technical challenges they’ve had to overcome in numerous Jimi releases. That would truly be a fascinating thing to watch for those of us who get into the engineering of the music we take for granted.
    But now back to Jimi, he wants another Lucky Lager!
    Beave

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Didn't Mitch also say the HIC show bettered Maui?

20. Experiencereunited

Is anyone else having issues playing the bonus footage in 5.1? I thought it was my equipment but the documentary plays fine in 5.1 while I can only make the bonus footage play in 2.0

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I saw it as a double feature in the mid 80's and the title from the handbill of the time was "Free" though I can't recall if the poster also included the line, the day the music died?

DTK and ChazFromCali like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Of course, there will continue to be surprises over time, and while there could be a soundboard or some other kind higher quality recording, it does not appear that Honolulu was professionally captured. As previously posted, in his Experience Hendrix book, McDermott stated the concert was not professionally recorded, so it is unlikely a multitrack will one day appear, unless he was being evasive for some reason.

DTK likes this.
  23. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

No, there are periods of the song showing the 'ALL CAMERAS STOPPED' banner. Unfortunately the vast majority of the (absolutely amazing) guitar solo is missing.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

"Free" is the first edit of the film from 1974. When it flopped, the director made a second movie called "The Day That Music Died" in 1976. It flopped too :).

25. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Right now I'm trying to find some articles in Univibes about the then newly discovered Maui footage. I remember reading about it in that magazine. I found an article in issue 22 (May 1996) of Univibes on page 14. The article is called "Here Today, Gone to Maui" by Mark S. Renusch. He writes about the "recently dug up 16mm Maui film footage" with Dolly Dagger, Villanova Junction and a bit of Ezy Ryder. He says the film was purchased for "roughly US $4000. After being purchased the seller went berserk and demanded the tape back so that he could sell it to Janie Hendrix for US $10,000 plus".