5 Disc CD player skipping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by andywarhol69, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andywarhol69

andywarhol69 Member Thread Starter

I recently acquired an old Sony 5-disc player (CDP-CE315) and it unfortunately has been skipping quite a bit. It will frequently track backwards anywhere from 30-60 seconds, sometimes at roughly the same location. This also happens when fast forwarding. I've tried different CDs and it still happens regardless.

Seems to me like maybe something wrong with lens movement. I've taken the unit apart and cleaned the lens and greased what appears to be the gears that move the lens with a spray can of white lithium grease. At first it appeared to be working alright, and then the next day went back to the same problem.

I would certainly appreciate any advice on how to repair this. I'd hate to toss it.

2. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Probably either a dying laser, or bad electrolytics. Those '90s surface mount capacitors are notorious for going faulty.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Time to go thrift shopping.

Unit is not worth repairing.

rockclassics likes this.
  4. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Exactly. I'm sure there's dozens of fully working CD changers in thrift shops across TX.

I'm always jealous of the US thrift scene. Where I live, the charity shops only sell old crockery and dead people's clothes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. andywarhol69

Shame to hear. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know.

Retro Music Man likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The laser lens could also be out of alignment.....
    I don't know if they are worth getting serviced at this point or not, is may be other issues as well.
    As suggested, time to go thrift shopping, and keep an eye out for some backups.
    I've got about 4 Sony/Technics players as backups that all have worked fine through testing.
    Only paid about 10 - 20 bucks for each of them.

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

For future reference spraying any kind of grease inside a CDP is a very bad idea and white lithium grease has no business in there either. Use Molykote EM-30L, which is a synthetic grease.

8. andywarhol69

Good to know, thanks for the heads up

9. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

Older units have trim pots for focus gain, tracking gain and eye pattern. You really need a scope for
    proper alignment but as a last resort you can diddle the pots and you might get lucky.
    Mark their current position before tweaking though.
    Cleaning the sled rails and lubricating is common maintenence to prevent binding and promote
    smooth operation of the sled. Lithium grease is very slippery and works fine.
    I agree, never spray anything in a CD player. Use a Q tip for proper application.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.