I Can Name that Tune in Two Words, Redux (with Rules and Point System)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AllOverTheMap, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tried this with mixed results on a previous thread. Got suggestions on how to improve and am now willing to put in the effort to police it. Please read this through to the end to understand why you might be disqualified and how you stand in relation to the rest of the players.

Provide the first two words of a song which is well enough known that half the audience should be familiar with it.

Whoever provides an answer (need not be the answer you had in mind and can be an obscure song) gets to take the reins and provide the first two words of another well-known song.

Not an open-book test. Please leave it to our head space, not cyber space to figure it out. It benefits no one besides those with super-fragilistic egos to cheat. And then they have to live with what they've done. I don't recommend it.

I have a scoring system to build around this game, here's how it will work:

Each participant gets a point once a correct answer is provided, the asker and the answerer. Furthermore, the more difficult the answer, the greater the reward. For every hour that goes by before a correct answer is put forth, another point accrues. So, for instance, if we get an answer 4 1/2 hours later, both sides get 4 points.

However . . . if 24 hours go by without a correct guess, then the person who posted the song loses 24 points off his or her total. At that point anyone can jump in and declare a new game has begun and submit their own song.

Further penalties:

1.) If you've made a mistake about your submitted song (the first two words are incorrectly provided) you'll lose a point for every hour which passes in which you fail to correct the mistake, culminating in a maximum sanction of 24 points subtracted from your overall score. Furthermore, you'll lose your turn and must wait until answering another member's clue successfully before offering one of your own again.

2.) 5 points will come off your score every time you jump in before the person whose rightful turn it is to submit and put forth a song of your own.

3.) 2 points will come off your score if you try to nudge players into identifying it by offering a clue. You must live and die with your submission, with the knowledge that you'll lose 24 points by that time next day if you've conjured up a song no one is likely to get.

4.) When you submit a song, it must take this form: "A Bottle . . . " {Confirmed}. Sticking to this style will eliminate confusion, vis-a-vis other members providing commentary. 2 points subtracted for failure to follow the format correctly. Also, by notating "Confirmed" we reduce the likelihood of tainted clues being put up, which really slows the game down.

5.) When you provide an answer, please do so this way "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" -- Billy Joel. I'm not going to be a stickler on innocent typographical mistakes for either this or the previous rule, unless the transgressions are repetitive and show no heed of being given reminders to abide by the prescribed style. But if it's obviously scattershot from the start, expect 2 points to be subtracted from your score.

If you are cited for three infractions, you'll be asked to sit on the sidelines for a month. If you ignore this admonition and continue to post anyway, the actions will be brought to the attention of a moderator, with the request you not be permitted to post on this thread.

Finally, the OP is very welcome to disclose what their song was, should a different -- but correct -- answer come in. You may say it any way you like, as it doesn't impede the smooth flow of the game.

There might be further refinements if unforeseen situations crop up and need resolving, but I'll make a loud noise about it at the time so that everyone is aware of it.

I will keep score and update in the early morning hours every night. At the moment, no finish line is defined, but if someone gets way out ahead or interest wanes, then an ending might be established.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. AllOverTheMap

"The fishing . . . " {Confirmed}

3. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

This is all rather punitive, more like Russian Roulette than a fun musical game to participate in.
    Making mistakes should be all part of the fun!, not a reason to castigate people with harsh disciplinary measures .. oy vey!

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  4. AllOverTheMap

Brush up on your history.

5. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Chill out ... its only music, a fun enjoyable hobby, not punitive rocket science.

6. AllOverTheMap

You forget. I invented the game. Your perspective is by definition different than mine.

somnar likes this.
  7. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

The fishing boats go out across the evening water

On The Border - Al Stewart

scobb, ODIrony, padesu and 1 other person like this.
  8. Harry Hood

"Daddy's gone......" (confirmed)

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

"Another Brick In The Wall Part 1" - Pink Floyd

Jimbino likes this.
  10. Well its

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just to confirm: its not it's?

GoodKitty likes this.
  12. Harry Hood

Phil Tate has got it right and should now post his own.

13. Harry Hood

Sewerdog's post should be ignored.

14. Phil Tate

Ta, wasn't sure if I had to wait for my guess to be checked. I'll post this one that I posted in the original thread but seemed to sink without trace...

"She broke..." (confirmed)

15. Harry Hood

You were right, so it's on you.

The other post was why the original thread bit the dust. It can't be that difficult to grasp, can it? Answer a question correctly, post your own question.

So we're on

AllOverTheMap likes this.
  16. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again

"Katy tried..." (confirmed)

Jimbino and Phil Tate like this.
  17. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Steely Dan - Doctor Wu

"Ground Control..." {confirmed}

Jimbino likes this.
  18. Phil Tate

"Space Oddity" - David Bowie

Jimbino likes this.
  19. Phil Tate

"She wanted..." (confirmed)

20. Doctorbox4

Doctorbox4 Forum Resident

Hmm...Brick 1 opens with “Daddy's flown...”

uzn007, Fullbug and Chazzbo13 like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

22. Phil Tate

Of course it does! This game's not off to a great start is it :D

23. AllOverTheMap

Minus figures will likely be showing at the end of the day.

24. AllOverTheMap

Harry Hood has forfeited his turn. DoctorBox wins those points. And he's up.

25. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Beatles.

"Mississippi Queen" . . .

audiomixer, Fullbug, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.