Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

To use the NYA subscription code we have to cancel our current subscription. I’m assuming that means we lose any privileges offered for being an early subscriber? (such as a cheaper rate as promised when the price goes up)
    Is there a way around this?
    Mine is due to expire in a few weeks anyway, but I wanted to keep the auto renewal so my account start date remained 2018.

garymc and zakyfarms like this.
  2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Just to be clear, i’m “so happy” because while i’m waiting for my box to arrive - just as you are - i can at least stream the entire set, and am enjoying the music immensely. Don’t download now or ever? Fine, your choice, just another option.

But any way you slice it, this is a remarkable release and an amazing site - sorry you don’t stream or download, just multiple ways to enjoy this great music!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

This stuff is overwhelming.

Crazy Horse doing “Hawaii” and “Kansas”. All of those Zuma-era tracks like “Ride My Llama” and “Pocahontas” were ready for release at any time. Zuma already one of Neil’s best albums. It could have been even that much better.

Stills-Young versions of “Separate Ways” and “Traces”.

“Separate Ways” is just a total killer track. I think Long May You Run could have been the “return of Buffalo Springfield” that Stills hoped for, but it seems that Stills just didn’t have enough strong songs. Neil had so many great songs during these sessions that had he put them all out Stills would have been overwhelmed. I’m a Stills diehard, but these guys just weren’t working on the same wavelength at this time. Even with some idea of what Stills had around at the time that went unused, it just wasn’t comparable.

So many great songs and performances. Neil Young really is an artist who left as much good material to the side as he released. This Archives set makes a credible argument that Neil was one of the greatest artists alive during this era, as if his 72-76 era needed any improvement in reputation. Seems like it shouldn’t be possible. Yet, here we are.

And that’s with the perspective that we have already had Homegrown for four months. But that’s here too, further making the case.

laf848, nbadge, Boswell and 31 others like this.
  4. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

I'm feeling over-stimulated! Anybody else reconstructing his entire discography? Making double albums of every album?

5. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I am super bummed that I haven't gotten my code yet. I bought it thinking I'd have the download now and the box in March. Having the app and streaming is ok, but I am bummed none the less.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Maybe @apple-richard will give you his.

7. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

interesting how The Loner works with Crazy Horse vs The Stray Gators.
    The Horse (with Ralph leading the beat) has a fragmentary, stop-start, kind of loping rhythm that really works for Neil and his rhythm guitar

The Gators play it more straight ahead, good time rockin' but also with enough grit to make it convincing.

It's great either way, but you can really tell how the Horse is so special for Neil and his music. They amplify his jagged edges.

8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

This seems a great Retrospective of a great Artist with a lot of unreleased music. I'm waiting for my Big Box for enjoying it better. Notwithstanding, I still think that the Bob Dylan camp does a better job than Neil on the archival releases. For sure, it would have completed the releases, publishing the complete Last Dance Sessions. The December 1973 sessions with Ambulance Blues and Human Highway. The Neil's songs with CSN during the 1974 Rehearsals. One of the multiple takes of Changing Highway at Nashvile with different musicians. Full Band versions of Frozen Man and Bad News in Nashville. The first studio takes of Long May You and Motorcycle Mama on January 75. Sedan Delivery and White Line 75 from the Crazy Horse sessions. No Seems To Know as recorded in Florida during the LMYR session A full double album from the Budokan/Odeon shows. This is my take.
    Anyway, this release gives us a great portrait of Neil in the glorious mid 70s era.

Sigma6, nbadge, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  9. Rustdog

Rustdog Forum Resident

You do realise that’s all a CD is - 1s and 0s?

nbadge, ARK, Biscuit1970 and 10 others like this.
  10. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Looking forward to hopefully all his (many) 'albums that never were' on your page good sir! It's madness how many unsung albums of quality material he had sitting in his arsenal, collecting dust.

soniclovenoize likes this.
  11. Rustdog

Rustdog Forum Resident

In light of the interesting roll-out of Archives 2...
    I’d say WB has interfered with the material

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Neil's artistic freedom has not been affected or compromised by this, and this rollout will be soon forgotten.

ARK and matt79rome89 like this.
  13. sgt spascal

sgt spascal Well-Known Member

one of the few things i'm actually disappointed with in terms of the material is the exclusion of the haunting, shaky solo take of "hold back the tears" thats circulated on bootlegs. it would've fit perfectly on disc 9-- just hoping that it'll be released on archives vol. 3 in 11 years :uhhuh:

bonus and spondres like this.
  14. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Pretty sure that's from Indigo later in '76, just after the Vol. 2 time frame. So yes, should be early in Vol. 3 (assuming it's included).

15. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Can’t hold a file.

Having a picture hanging on your wall isn’t the same as having a .jpeg on your computer.

Matze S. and Galactus like this.
  16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Hooked my iPhone up to my Sony WM1A to run it through the walkmans DAC and started streaming. Disc 1 really is glorious.

For anyone that ordered the box over the past 24 hours, Archives Support have told me we will receive our downloads some time in next week. I’m assuming they are sorting all the preorders first.

They also confirmed there will be no standalone download available until March.

adamos and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  17. Heart of Gold

And Mediterranean 74?

tug_of_war and qtrules like this.
  18. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

The "hotel room" recording? What about it?

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. Heart of Gold

It's possible that they don't have the original tape. But Joel Bernstein has always mentioned Mediterranean, also as a 1974 album.

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Yes, reportedly the title for the "water album" he was going to record in Ibiza following the CSNY tour. But those plans were abandoned because of weather and electrical issues on the island.

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Is that Neil’s ranch house on the cover of The Old Homestead? I always imagined it as bigger. Looks lovely though.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  22. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

23. Heart of Gold

With Sedan Delivery, Powderfinger, Pocahontas, Born To Run, Kansas, Hawaii, Too Far Gone, No One Seems To Know, Ride My Llama, Like A Hurricane, Lotta Love, White Line, Country Home, Homegrown Neil had plenty of songs for a very strong album. And instead he chose to record a new album in Florida with Stills.

24. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

It got bigger later :)

[​IMG]

Sigma6, ARK, tug_of_war and 1 other person like this.
  25. Heart of Gold

The Tower is Kitsch.

NumberEight likes this.