Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's the point: it didn't turn out that great, and the ad copy, while non specific, leads you to expect a uniquely beautiful piece. Two examples of the latter would be the Third Man Macca III and the special edition of Costello's Hey Clockface. Tellingly the labels had no problem showing you both of those, though they would have sold out no matter what.

I also suspect that this type of blotched vinyl isn't that hard to make.

Aftermath, Tom Wabe and Big Blue like this.
  2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...and that's the thing, ABKCO knows that places like Third Man can make good looking vinyl without breaking a sweat. They could have halted production at the test copy stage and resolved the issue posthaste by seeking advice and/or hands-on help. But they didn't - a shoddy attitude to match their shoddy workmanship.

Man at C&A, Sean and bRETT like this.
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They elicit the same inchoate anti-elite resentment we see here, as well as the same “I can’t believe other record collectors value things I don’t value” befuddlement we see here.

They said they were going to make 900 unique colored vinyl records, and, as far as I can tell, they made 900 unique colored vinyl records. And I do suspect they’ll all be bought, and quickly, just like the red vinyl Goat’s Head Soup and the yellow and black vinyl McCartney III.

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I find the Stones record far more interesting to look than the yellow and black McCartney III. How difficult each was to press is not exactly relevant. I doubt one was any more challenging to press than the other.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think it is relevant to the price tag they gave it. We can agree to disagree on the McCartney, but it does look uniquely nice to me ( not that I'll ever see one in person). And it does have that oh-wow factor of being recycled from the other two albums.

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree. That it’s recycled from copies of the previous two albums is a cool “oh wow” factor. And proof that “oh wow” factors like that that have nothing to do with the music or sound quality play a role in record collecting. Collectors pay a premium for Track pressings of Electric Ladyland with blue type, even though the notion that those are first pressings has been pretty solidly debunked.

At least the Stones pressed nearly 3 times as many copies of their collector bait LP than McCartney did of his, giving their fans a somewhat better chance of buying for $100 instead of paying well over $1,000 on eBay.

7. Avenging Robot

I would say that the McCartney shows skill and the ABKCO does not, the effort exerted is irrelevant.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think the translucent portions of the Stones record and the bright colors look cooler than the yellow and black McCartney vinyl. But whatever floats your boat. I’ll buy a copy of the Stones record if I can, but I’m not really interested in the 9 different colored vinyl variants of McCartney III. But I don’t think those who do feel driven to try to collect all 9 of those variations are “saps.”

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Great, recycled vinyl.

Spencer R likes this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Maybe the Stones should have pressed theirs from recycled copies of Love You Live, with a liquid filled center like this Jack White record … but the liquid is blood from Keith’s 1973 transfusion.

Jack White (2) - Sixteen Saltines

12. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

The entire colored/splatter disk "special edition" thing makes no sense to me.

It's the record industry version of sports teams changing uniforms all the time so fans will buy more merchandise. In this case, extra copies of records you already know. Not in any way an upgrade, just something "different" and "collectible".

lucan_g and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  13. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

If colored vinyl or splattered vinyl keeps more people interested and buying vinyl, why is this so bad? I would think vinyl collectors here would like this instead of fighting over it. Jeez.

Spencer R likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am a huge Stones fan and a fairly serious record collector and I have zero interest in this.

blivet, RTurner, captouch and 5 others like this.
  15. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

I know this thread has got a little fractious at times, but I'm really enjoying the discussion. I think its an important one to have, especially as popularity of vinyl soars and attracts more businessmen out to make profit rather than create quality products - i think we will see a lot more of this type of marketing in the coming years. I have zero interest in coloured vinyl especially at this high price, and it amazes me there are forum members willing to defend a company producing this in an art-form they love. But thats what makes this whole thing such fascinating stuff!!

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Because it's $100. How is that a good thing for record buyers?

Jeez.

17. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

The poster's the deal breaker. If they could stretch to the supposed luxury of hand-pouring this ghastly-looking thing, what would the incremental cost of tossing out a cheap repro poster have been? Pennies, I'm guessing.

I picked up a reduced copy of the recent-ish reissue of The Who Sell Out for about a tenner, and was delighted to find that had a repro of the ultra-rare poster - no hand-poured tastelessness, admittedly, but I'm good with that.

All in all, a shoddy ripoff. Folks wanna spend $100 it, that's cool. But this kind of cheap stunt potentially sets a dangerous precedent for future reissues.

blivet, Sean, Ben Adams and 4 others like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What you should get f0r 100$ - Original laminated sleeve with stereo/mono cut out hole on rear. Blue border Decca poly lined inner with credits (stereo) or pink poly lined inner (mono), Original poster replicated, poster sticker on cover, unboxed Decca (UK) labels, AAA sourced vinyl, One step process on super vinyl. Would have been the thing to do both mono and stereo versions - people would then spend $200 and get a true collectible. Win Win all round. You can actually buy a VG+ UK original for less than this (maybe not with poster)!

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No, that's not what I'm telling you. Read my post again

Sean and Big Blue like this.
  20. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

This is pretty much par for the course as far as RSD releases go. Nothing to get very excited about, and generally overpriced.

Tommyboy and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Yes. German heroes and france heroes. I have france heroes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It's all kinda moot.. with the already inverted bid/ask spread, this is technically sold out already.

quicksrt likes this.
  23. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

My view is these kinds of releases are ridiculous but if you have plenty of bucks and it makes you happy who cares.

The more interesting thing to me is how many of the classic rock icons are going for these obvious cash grabs. I’m assuming to keep the cash flowing while they can’t rake in touring bucks. I mean how many commercials are using Rocket Man these days?

24. Avenging Robot

My take away from all this is perhaps hand pouring is an incredibly pretentious sounding process that results in disappointing results.

This is how it's officially described:

"Each copy of this exclusive collector's edition is handcrafted on the press, using layers of color on top of one another to create a truly unique edition. Due to the nature of the manual process to pour each color onto the press by hand, each piece is unique in design."

I would say the end product falls far short of the promotional hype if Mike's copy basically reflects what the other 899 look like.

I suppose this is the record collector's version of somebody going to an art museum and saying, "My six year old can do better than that!".

25. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I read that on the RSD advert. At first, I thought they were talking about a printing press. Unique album covers would've been way more interesting than this crappy coloured vinyl.

[Waiting for Mr Furball to wake up...]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.