'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

Hello, yes, I'm new here. I was struck by this tread on tone poet and I started listening to it. I used to listen to jazz on internet radio, now I bought the first vinyl from amazon usa and it is yet to arrive. This is Lee Morgan Combread. Then since I would like to have some at home I immediately bought Lou Donaldson Mr. Sing a Ling's Tone Poet. But why is nobody here talking about this? Nobody likes it or is it perhaps a less pure and more symphonic jazz towards soul? Am I not wrong to take it? Also to have a few more what do you recommend? I am also very interested in the quality of the recording and the sound quality

sway61, scotti and Biff Jones like this.
  2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Mr. Shing a Ling got some nice reviews here when it was most recently reissued. I myself am a fan of this period for Lou and BN in general as I am very much a fan of Leo/Idris playing in this style. Not at all symphonic, but very much Soul. I am also quite found of Cornbread, both the food and the album. The title tune is very much Son of Sidewinder, but that's ok by me. The rest of Cornbread has some nice variety, Shing a Ling is more all of a piece. I'll leave it to others to comment on the sound quality since I own eariler editions of these two fine albums.

sway61, Ronnieb, MisterBritt and 2 others like this.
  3. AndreaNaim

Thanks, I only ordered Mr. Sing from Ling after listening to him through Tidal about 2 times! It immediately entered my head .. I also like The Phantom very much, I am very undecided, I prefer to spend on what could also be a lasting listening. Herbie Hankok and Bobby Hutcherson's TPs are also beautiful ... We'll see ...

sway61, Ronnieb, scotti and 1 other person like this.
  4. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Mr. Shing-A-Ling is a great fun album. Same as @danasgoodstuff I like this period of Lou Donaldson. Midnight Creeper, Alligator Bogaloo, Everything I play is funky are all great records. The Tone Poet Mr. Shing-A-Ling is good, but the original Liberty press is better. Sounds fresh and with more spark. Some of the best sounding Tone Poets are Introducing Kenny Burrell and Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique.

sway61, scotti, Dai and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr. November

Mr. November Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the answer to your question, but I really like these:

Bill Frisell - Valentine
    Gogo Penguin - s/t
    Nels Cline - Share the Wealth

First two on vinyl, sound superb, last one release in January (digital on Qobuz sounds great as well)

Dignan2000 and Levi's Tubs like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

No no, "Mr. Shing-A-Ling" is a wonderful album, very funky.

Jazz doesn't have to be cerebral, sometimes it's enough if it makes you wanna MOVE!

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And as they say, It Don't Mean A Thing, If You Ain't Got "Mr. Shing-A-Ling"!

sway61, MisterBritt, Ronnieb and 3 others like this.
  8. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Not sure if you’re interested, but I’m a particularly big fan of Blue Note’s output in the 1990s, which includes lots of very well recording modern straight ahead jazz. And yes, I know it’s silly calling records from 20-30 years ago "modern!" Unfortunately, I don’t think any of these has been released on anything other than CD or streaming, so fire up your DAC and plug in some warm-leaning speakers!

My favorites are any of Renee Rosnes’ albums, any of Javon Jackson’s albums, Joe Lovano’s "From The Soul" and "Tenor Legacy", John Scofield’s "Meant To Be", Joey Calderazzo’s "To Know One", and especially Bill Stewart’s two BN solo records "Snide Remarks" and "Telepathy."

I’m really hoping that @Joe Harley considers a couple of these for Tone Poet treatment - there’s some wonderful music here!

9. AndreaNaim

Which TP would you buy between Duke Pearsons' phantom and Bobby Hutcherson's oblique?

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oblique for me, but The Phantom is mighty fine as well.

11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Agree with Scotti, but tastes differ so stream them if you can. Both are worth having, but to my ears, Oblique is the better-sounding of the two.

chris8519 and scotti like this.
  12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Probably neither. I've never been able to appreciate Duke Pearson and I have the RVG Oblique so I don’t feel any pressing need to pick up the Oblique TP although I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Appreciate all the recommendations of some of the more recent Blue Notes. I've been checking a few out on Apple Music, and there seems to be a fair amount of experimental guitar work on them. Reminds me somewhat of the electronic ambient stuff I used to listen to, or even some of the Lanois and Eno from years back. I have enjoyed Charles Lloyd, Joel Ross, and a few others, but I guess I tend to prefer my jazz with a little less knob-twisting than I'm hearing on some of these.

14. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Listen to them first and decide wich one you like best before buying. They are very different albums... Both sound fantastic. Oblique has the kind of Hi-Fi presentation some folks like. The Phantom is darker sounding and very deep, something I enjoy a lot.

miq2son likes this.
  15. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Yeah! I've been listening to the Brian Blade Fellowship release from the 90s. I'd like to get the recent BN80 reissue, but folks here say the pressing is problematic.

chris8519 and wellers73 like this.
  16. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Oblique, 100% It's one of the best of the series, in my opinion.

17. AndreaNaim

[QUOTE = "Levi's Tubs, post: 25471465, member: 113505"] Obliquo, 100% Secondo me è uno dei migliori della serie. [/ QUOTE]
    I'm listening to it now with headphones from Tidal. I had often listened to the kicker too. But between the two it is difficult to choose one. However oblique more spectacular and less repetitive than the other.

scotti likes this.
  18. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Problematic is a nice word to describe that one... Both records came dish warped and there was non-fill everywhere. The bright mastering of the BN80s didn't suit the music well neither.

chris8519 likes this.
  19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I have this and the pressing isn't bad at all. Maybe these people were just unlucky.

20. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Exactly my experience too. Bad pressing, worst of the entire BN80 bunch! Warped and ticks/pops through out. Had never heard this album before and was disappointed I couldn't concentrate on the music itself.

Edit- would be interested in more 90s BN though, especially if pressed as well as others from the series!

21. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I really liked John Scofield's Hand Jive. That BN80 sounds great! And even if it is from the 80's, I muss recommend Tony Williams' Foreign Intrige, a fantastic sounding BN80.

p.analogowy, Ken.e. and chris8519 like this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Listening to Roots and Herbs side 1 right now.

Wow what a clean pressing and tone. I mean the vinyl is DEAD SILENT between tracks, thought my input wasn't set to phono when first dropped the needle, then BOOM here comes Art!

Music is good too, all Wayne Shorter compositions, and they really groove.

Had never heard of this album, and glad I purchased.

(And secret handshake time for those in the know, who care... No arbbl-way or utter-flay)

23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, have the Williams which is very 80s but I dig it. Clean sound.

Haven't tried the Hand Jive! I'll stream it to find out.

Edit- don't you miss the themed releases from BN80, I think the Williams and La Roca albums were from the "drummer leaders" month. Ahh... Good times, what a great era for vinyl I'll remember forever.

24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Hand Jive is great.

And there is a Scofield/Matheny title coming in January.

Morbius, NicoRock and chris8519 like this.
  25. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yes!