New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m racking my brain for what the next mainstream release should be to keep the positive vibes going for Elvis. It would be no interest for us because of the recent American Sound set, but what about those undubbed masters in a smaller set? I really don’t know how much interest there would be for the Elvis On Tour shows. It just seems like remixed undubbed performances are the way to go now (finally).

PS-Still would love an undubbed masters box from FTD...

MRamble, hodgo and croquetlawns like this.
  2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Elvis in Mono box!

I'd also be happy with an On Tour set, plus an American Sounds set similar to this one.

3. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Elvis in mono
    The original singles box
    Maybe a 50’s outtakes box?

I would’ve thought Elvis is Back or Something For Everybody sessions (any 60’s non-soundtrack) boxes would’ve been good for general public, but FTD has just covered those.

there’s a lot they can do for Elvis releases.

croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  4. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Elvis On Tour will probably be the next big mainstream release of interest to me, although a 2 CD set of the 1971 Nashville secular recordings might be quite cool.

5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I was just wondering if they might do the 1971 Nashville session next - partly as I was looking at the Hundred Years From Now CD and deciding if I still needed it, and noticed that three of the tracks are from 1971.

RSteven and londonflash like this.
  6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The Elvis Complete 50's Masters Box needs a good remastering. I like that the box is one stop shopping for Elvis 50's recordings.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

That would be cool. Such a neat little box to sound as it does.

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I would be great to get all of Elvis' Quadraphonic Mixes released in a box set in high resolution. Most of these are great, like the From Elvis In Memphis album.

FTD should look at the success Rhino had with their Chicago set and the recent Doobie Brothers one.

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

This is it in a nutshell. Nothing like this has been done before, these are the only official analog releases that have never seen the light of day in the modern digital age. The quad mixes are sitting on the shelves somewhere. They are all totally unique and have stunning sound. Let’s get these out for all to enjoy :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    croquetlawns and Simon A like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Apologies for the typo. I meant It not I would be great...

11. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Doubt it will go mainstream. The market isn’t really there for four shows that are basically identical and similar to MSG and there isn’t enough studio stuff to attract the casual buyer. I heard that Sony were very disappointed with sales of the Vegas 69 box as total sales to date are not much more than 8k. I think On Tour will get the FTD treatment like TTWII - a book from David English and Pal Granlund and 5 or 6 CDs and I reckon they are currently working on such a set now in readiness for a 2022 release.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

That will never happen. The market is simply not big enough to make such a project financially viable. Someone’s desire for remastered things is another persons "I am happy with what we have - save my money’. There are plenty of other worthwhile things that have not been released instead of another box of the same material that has a hype sticker claiming "we just want your dosh - tracks remastered again...for the nth time"

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

FTD are very likely to cover the 71 recordings in their sessions series sometime next year before the copyright thing expires. There are not many outtakes left and one reel of tape has apparently gone missing. They’ll probably split the recordings into secular, gospel and Xmas recordings.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

All the material on the box is available in better sound.

laf848, JLGB and RSteven like this.
  15. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Sony had the opportunity of putting out the quad stuff for FEIM as part of a 50th anniversary package but blew it.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Quick question, were the "Way Down in The Jungle Room" and "Elvis at Stax" sets a similar project to this - ie. were there undubbed masters newly remixed etc? and are they worth getting if you have all the FTDs?

hulloder72 likes this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Re: Way Down in the Jungle Room, yes, new mixes and they included the original mixes of each track as well

It's not the same, of course, but Sony have put these out as 360 Audio downmixes on Tidal

This Nashville set sounds amazing on Tidal HiFi. Going to spring for the hi-resolution download...

croquetlawns, RSteven and Mark87 like this.
  18. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Original mixes of the (overdubbed) masters and remixed (undubbed) outtakes. Similar, but not the same as on the new box set.

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have now listened to disc 3 and 4 and I prefer the mixes on the new set by a large margin. There is reverb on the new set but the reverb on the FTDs is almost ridiculous. The new mixes also sound fresher.

There is generally more studio chatter on the new set.

The I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar Jam on disc 4 is 30 seconds longer than on any other release.
    I'll Never Know is listed as take 3 butthe false starts of takes 4 and 5 is included before the take 3 starts. Takes 4 and 5 are have not been released before.

Revelator, laf848, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  20. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

There is also a "new" false start on Tomorrow Never Comes. It's before the Running Scared ad lib

JuanTCB and RSteven like this.
  21. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I get your point and agree with you. BUT their past releases disprove that theory. There’s a new compilation all the time with “newly remastered sound”. All they would have to do is find an outtake or put a TV performance on the box and re-release it using Vic’s 2006 (2007?) remastering work. I don’t see them doing it either but it’s a possibility they someday would. It’s one box set I just cant bring myself to get rid of, it’s so cool and monumental. While I’m talking about this box, The Essential 60’s Masters is another amazing box set. It flows so nice and is a good example of how great Elvis was in the 60’s minus the movie soundtracks. The 70’s box had too much missing for me to like it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  22. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Depends on what you mean by their past releases disproving my theory. I think by the time such a release occurred in the future, if it ever did occur, it would be on the digital platform as opposed to physical. The fan market is diminsihing as each year goes by and serious collectors have this stuff so many times whether that be the original box, the Complete Masters set or the 2016 Album boxset that adequately serves their purpose and needs. With regard to finding an odd unreleased outtake, Ernst has always said that whilst he is effectively in charge of the Elvis catalogue, that he would not allow a newly discovered outtake to go onto a boxset that may force fans to buy the same material all over again with the promise of slightly better sound.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Ern

Ern Senior Member

So great to hear You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and I've Lost You with just Elvis and the band!
    Lovely release.

croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone have the CD box and the Vinyl? how do they compare sound wise? and do you need both?

25. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Yes, I think you might be right there, as far as the lack of a market and that EOT era material would be better suited for an FTD release. Especially if the 1969 live set sold do poorly.

Still, I wonder if we might get something comprehensive on the collectors' label and a one disc mainstream release?

Back to From Elvis In Nashville, I really am enjoying this set and I haven't got to the outtakes yet.

RSteven and I333I like this.