Judas Priest-Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Unleashed In The East

So I only had the remaster and didn't think much of it. While I can deal with some compression this just sounded so wrong that I never got into it. But about two years ago I picked up:

Priest In The East
    Judas Priest - Priest In The East -- Live In Japan

And with this beautiful CD pressing I fell in love with this disc. This was a band totally on fire and performing at the top of their field.
    Who cares if they touched it up? It's a great listen and great performances all around.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

KK was on Eddie Trunk and they discussed it pretty well. According to KK, only some of Rob's vocals were redone. He said by that point in the tour the band was firing on all cylinders and what you hear are the live tracks.

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

We're gonna drive you
    we're gonna ride you
    we're gonna get right inside you
    And if you wanna keep going just shout out for more!

[​IMG]

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

In Halford's book, he tells the story about "Unleashed" and how he simply went into a room and re-did all the vocals.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Let's not beat about the bush here - Killing Machine is pretty fantastic. For the most part.

Picking up where they left off with Stained Class, we get another healthy dose of tight, concise metal blasts that are sure to get any hard rock fan's heart racing and head banging. For the most part.

Yes, for the most part, because even though a good few of the songs are as good as the best stuff in Stained Class (and actually among the best this band's ever recorded), they still couldn't (or wouldn't) keep it up for the duration of the LP, making for a bit of an uneven experience. A bit frustrating in that respect. Not that the lesser tracks are offensive by any means, but stuff like the harmless Evening Star and Take On The World, or Before The Dawn (which belongs on an album like Sin After Sin more than here), just don't measure up to the awesomeness of the rest and drags the collective rating down a bit. I'm all for variety, but the aforementioned songs only provide that in a sort of insipid, unengaging way. That said, I can enjoy them more when I focus mostly on Halford's vocals; this guy can save the blandest track with his absolutely personal way of delivering which, combined with his power, range and technique, make him one of the greatest, most amazing vocalists the rock world has ever (heard!) seen.

Having said that, there is much to praise on Killing Machine. I've singled out Rob Halford, but it's fair to say that the whole band sounds simply great throughout and the level of performance is undeniable. The only one instrument that doesn't wow me in terms of playing is the bass, but that's more than made up for the sound it's achieved on this album. You could say that, in terms of production, this is probably the best Judas Priest has sounded in a studio recording so far.

Going back to the actual songs, this is where the band's strengths are exploited in the same way they were for Stained Class. It's clear they're on a roll here, and the album's rightly named Killing Machine, not just because of the title track, but because that one, plus the likes of Delivering The Goods, Green Manalishi, Running Wild or Hell Bent For Leather make the album irresistible. Add bags of attitude into the mix, and the power, swagger and sheer confidence these songs convey is devastating. I can't imagine a hard and heavy rock fan not being swept away by these tracks, they're so damn great.

Straddling the fence between the great and the forgettable, though, are Burnin' Up (great middle section) and Evil Fantasies (Halford once again turning schizo into art), which can really hit the spot depending on your mood. I for one approve of them, but be aware they're just not up there with the best.

So as fantastic as it is when taken as a whole, Killing machine can still be frustrating in that it is another fine collection that could've even surpassed its predecessor, but it needed to be more cohesive in order to achieve that. The lesser tracks on Stained Class were not that far removed from the best that album had to offer, yet the divide between the best and the rest on Killing Machine is too wide for it to be an honest contender. Having said that, it is still more than well worth having, because the songs on which this album gets it right are real killers that no fan of the genre should be without.

6. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I was convinced the band had finally obtained the rights to the first two albums when they appeared on the remasters box set from a few years ago. They even altered the track listing on Sad Wings to apparently the original correct version.

Pouchkine, slipkid and Curveboy like this.
  7. Gus Tomato

Its a brilliant comp and I love the artwork but I have to give the nod to ‘The Essential Judas Priest’ (especially the 3.0 version).

8. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

It's very interesting reading this thread with so much great comments and it really helps appreciate the albums even more. I have one question regarding Unleashed In The East, even if the sound quality is less than ideal the 13 tracks remaster is such a great listen but I still don't understand why even now will all the reissues that Beyond The Realms Of Death is not there. Ok in 2001 the remasters sometimes had bizarre bonus tracks and probably the band didn't have real input or interest in them but now why not fix that? They care about the first two albums, they certainly care somewhat about their legacy, not having Beyond The Realms Of Death on one of their highest rated album is really stupid and an enormous unforced error. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Having this great slower song on this album would really take it to another level, without it it's really missing something like say if you take out Still In Love With You from Live And Dangerous.

9. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Maybe they lost the tape? No other possible reason. I think it appeared on a Japanese version (or other comp) at some point, but shorn of its spoken intro...so maybe it wasn't even the same version?

But yeah, although UITE is already the GOAT live metal album without it, BTROD would definitely enhance any future reissue. After all, they played it on just about every tour that mattered, which makes its absence even more baffling. Fortunately, the }{eywood 'fan version' includes it, albeit again with truncated intro.

The MEZ and Pouchkine like this.
  10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I think it was Rob Halford who, years after the fact, admitted that his vocals on Unleashed In The East had been re-recorded. If memory serves, he mentioned recording them outdoors at Tittenhurst Park, using the recording facility John Lennon had had installed in what was his former home. He also mentioned those were the only overdubs.

I suppose the whole controversy over embellishing live recordings is to be expected, but in the case of Judas Priest it is a storm in a tea cup. Let's face it: just like Thin Lizzy before them, Priest weren't overdubbing because they were a bunch of hacks who lacked chops or just couldn't cut it on stage - rather, it was a touch of cosmetic surgery designed to let the finished product sounding professional, proper, and as far removed from ye-olde-bootleg as possible. In hindsight, it is possible that the original live recordings were just fine as they were, but being a bit too perfectionist or self-conscious can lead to perceiving flaws where others wouldn't. In any case, if anyone wants to accuse Priest of fraud over this album, all they have to do is lend an ear to the bootlegs from the era to hear how the band really sounded like live, and then compare with Unleashed In The East. The unofficial recordings present a killer band on stage, reducing the naysayers' arguments to crumbs.

Whichever way you want to look at it though, Unleashed In The East is a real corker. Through and through. Not a groove is wasted. We could debate endlessly about the track list, what should've been left out or added in, whether it should be a single or a double LP, but why waste our time? The truth is Judas Priest were at a peak, and their setlist at this time so near perfection that we could reconfigure the album picking up songs blindfold, at random, and we would still end up with a stone cold classic. That makes it a winner even before we lower the needle onto the vinyl, but once we actually start hearing the cracking energy of the band and the full-throttle approach with which they tackle their repertoire, that's what sends this record into the stratosphere and makes it one for the ages.

Regarding the actual songs that were Unleashed for this LP, it's like a little best-of-Judas-Priest that's been amped up a notch. Like I mentioned above, there's not a second wasted as we're hit with one winner after another, there's just no let-up. The atmosphere each individual song created within its respective studio album is here altered turning them into a slightly different experience, but never in a bad way. I find the energy of the performances so contagious and engaging that I can't really mention any highlights here given the top-notch material across the board, but allow me to single out Genocide, which I think is much improved here - when the second guitar joins in for the introductory riff that's an extremely exciting moment.

What can I say? I love Unleashed In The East. Owing to its very nature, it might be unfair calling it the best Judas Priest album of the 70s, but I'll be damned if it isn't my favourite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. healter skealter

One of the best things about UITE was the savage versions of classic tracks from SWoD & SaS, both of which had barely competent production IMO. I got UITE before I heard SWoD and couldn't believe how slow & lame the studio versions sounded.

It must've been epic to have been familiar with SWoD before hearing UITE. Amazing transformation.

SoKan61, Man at C&A, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Kind of lame to leave Les Binks out of the pictures although I understand why.

Doggiedogma and Pouchkine like this.
  13. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I think you're slightly missing the point. Personally at least, I'm not accusing them of anything, I just have no use for a live album that's not live. The point is not whether or not they could have done it live, the point is they didn't. Yeah, I'll take a good audience boot any day.

Mark J likes this.
  14. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I don't agree with "lame" at all. I think the bleak atmosphere on the early albums is intentional.

Mark J likes this.
  15. Years ago when I was on The Metal God's Quorom..Rob Halfords website forum, there was a guy on there that did 'The Ultimate Priest In The East' set.
    Basically he did the complete concert running order from that Japan tour.
    It was professionally done as well.....all sequenced together and sound balanced etc.
    If he liked you....he'd give you the link to download it off his website (now long gone).
    I burnt a CDR....which is my go-to for that era of Live Priest.

16. healter skealter

Ok, maybe 'tame' would be a better description.

Although they contained many brilliant songs, I think all their albums up to Stained Class suffered from muted production, Killing Machine less so, but still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. In truth, although it's probably my least favourite album up to that point, they didn't get a suitable studio production worthy of their heaviosity until British Steel. YMMV.

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

There's a live version of Beyond The Realms Of Death that was originally released as the b-side of Evening Star and can be found on the Priest Live & Rare compilation CD from the 90s. It's from the Stained Class tour and it's probably more truly live than Unleashed In The East, but it might work mixed in with the other Unleashed tracks in order to scratch Pouchkine's itch. I am not aware whether that one is the same version that appeared on the extra 7" of the UK Unleashed In The East, though.

Pouchkine, Curveboy and Doggiedogma like this.
  18. There are a few bootlegs from this era...and they don't sound drastically different from the official release.
    Halford redid the vocals in one take... basically singing to the actual live mixes.
    I'm sure Rob mentioned they were done on the balcony at Tittenhurst Park...or that the Balcony windows were open.
    He said there was a great view whilst banging out these.... overdubbed vocals.

Pouchkine and Doggiedogma like this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's very possible he was already out of the band by the time of that photo session. He was fairly credited on the album, though.

20. Looking back at what I posted at the start of the original Priest album thread.....2007!!
    I posted this....and it brings me up to date, so I can chime in in the right time frame now...

Rocka Rolla 3/5
    A decent if not spectacular start.
    Leaden and plodding production don`t help.
    Fav tracks......
    Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat
    Never Satisfied
    Run Of The Mill
    Dying To Meet You.

Sad Wings Of Destiny 5/5
    Minor gripes about production aside....
    this IS a classic timeless album.
    The artwork is wonderfull as are the songs.
    Not a bad track on this album.
    Just listen to Halford on Dreamer Deceiver,it induces shivers down the spine.

Sin After Sin 5/5
    I love this album.
    A much improved sound over their first 2 albums,although it can be said it is a little base light.
    Sinner is one of the best opening tracks ever recorded as far as I`m concerned.
    Roger Glover produced this album and according to legend.....never got paid.
    Wonderfull album artwork again,this would be the last time we saw the old-style band name motif.
    From here, each album would progressively get more streamlined and more commersial.

Stained Class 5/5
    A classic album....for some one of their very finest.
    The band motif comes of age here,along with another stunning album sleeve.
    The sound quality is so much better on this....the guitars sound wonderfull.
    Les Binks joins the band and his double base work on Exciter,the opening track...throws down the gauntlet.What a track.
    Other gems for me,
    White Heat,Red Hot
    Stained Class
    Saints In Hell and the classic,
    Beyond The Realms of Death.

Anther different album....another great album.

Killing Machine 5/5
    Priest as we know and love em.
    The leather and studs image fully intergrated at this point,the album shows a very varied selection of songs.
    Purists will point out the band started to lean towards more radio friendly tracks on this album.......So what?
    Storming tracks like Delivering The Goods,Hell Bent For Leather and Running Wild,tempared with mid paced crunchers like Burnin` Up and Killing Machine.
    Radio friendly anthems Rock Forever,Evening Star and the hit single Take On The World complete a very varied album.
    Interestingly for America, a cover of Fleetwood Mac`s The Green Manalishi...was recorded and added to the now renamed Hell Bent For Leather,to great effect.
    Another nice ballad Before The Dawn,showed just how versatile Priest could be.
    A great album.

Unleashed In The East 5/5
    Right up there with my fav live albums of all time.
    Many people have cast accusations over the actual "live"
    recording over the years....some dubbing it Unleashed In The Studio!!
    For my part,I go along with the story that the vocals have been re-recorded.
    Apparently Halford re-did them in one take - at Ringo Starrs house!!
    Other than that...What more can you ask?
    The tracklisting says it all.....
    all the early songs come out much better here....
    Genocide & Tyrant are just unbelieveable slabs of metal here.
    Priest In The East had the extra tracks....I think that was a double album if memory serves,so its worth seeking out if you love wax.
    :edthumbs:

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

If you didn't accuse them of anything then what I wrote wasn't directed at you, which means I wasn't addressing your point - I was making my own. :winkgrin:

Silksashbash likes this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I agree on the difference in sound with the early albums, but I have to say that I love it. In his book, KK kinda sorta complains about the guitar sound on those albums and I was surprised because I've always thought they had beautiful guitar tones back then.

Going back to the overall production from Rocka Rolla to Stained Class... Considering the amount of different studios and different producers involved through those years, I can only come to the conclusion that the way the band sounded on record back then is hardly coincidence.

I totally agree with you on British Steel - it sounds incredible.

23. Gus Tomato

Can u give us the tracklisting? Be good to compare.
    I got the early 90’s ESCA Japan for the three bonus tracks so I was thinking it was fairly definitive.
    I would LOVE ‘Beyond the realms’ added to the album.

Pouchkine likes this.
  24. healter skealter

I have both, and no, they're not the same.

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Excellent news. Thank you!

Pouchkine likes this.