Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I found I had to choose 5.1 from the main menu screen, switching between 2.0 and 5.1 is disabled while the disc is playing.

2. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Tried that many times already. I choose 5.1 on main menu and both of the bonus sets still play in 2.0 only.

Deek57 likes this.
  3. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

How do you post photos here? Did you first upload them to something like Google Docs or something. Kind of a drag to have to rely on urls. Notice the top photo: the orange microphone covering has a weird halo double image to it. Also the guitar tuning pegs. I found many shots to have that effects at different points. It was a bit distracting to me. I wonder if that is how the original camera picked it up or if that distortion was introduced in post. PS Great screen grabs. Thank you.

kanakaris likes this.
  4. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Just a second before these shots you hear Jimi shout "Goddamn" apparently because of getting bitten by a dog. Then we see him come up to the microphone and say "as I was saying..."

SG47, jhm, vinyldreams and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I was probably being grumpy and moaning a bit. I DO get everything yer saying and it all makes sense. I have close friends that were integral to the Rainbow Bridge film and they have nothing but deep respect for Chuck so I felt I had to defend him a bit. It was through those same connections that I had acquired all the Stone Free, Freedom and Red House footage 20 years ago (straight from the masters). I'm happy to see it now finally circulating.

6. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

No way is there more footage other than maybe a couple seconds here or there. Remember, even if more footage was shot, anything not used was usually tossed. The fact the second set footage was saved is amazing in itself. The show wsa not filmed to be featured in long form. They just needed a few good minutes to tack on the end of the film. There never was an intention to document the entire Hendrix concert. Just like Jimi Plays Berkeley. That was filmed for a little TV special. No intention of a full lengh feature film. So that's why so many songs were not filmed at all.

davies54, EVOLVIST, jhm and 3 others like this.
  7. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Yes. It sounded contrived the second it came out of his mouth. But the sentiment of united beings in the cosmos is a scientifically sound concept. I admit I was being grumpy when I defended one sentence that in my mind has validity. I get it that you dismiss it. I too dismiss 90% of that hippy dippy stuff, but 'cosmic universal beings united' is totally valid and not dated or comical IMO.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Chris M likes this.
  8. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Yeah, funny. I'm a big Mitchell fan and a drummer myself. I've almost always rated Mitchell above Buddy Miles. However, over the last few years when I'm listening to the post Buddy Miles material like Freedom, Straight Ahead, Dolly Dagger I just wish they had the heavy funky groove of Buddy Miles instead of the flighty 'tripping over itself' style Mitch settled into later on.

9. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I strongly disagree. I honestly believe that other than a few seconds here and there. This really is ALL of it. No unused alternate camera angles. Sorry.

supernaut likes this.
  10. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Hey Kurt;
    I use Postimages — free image hosting / image upload
    it's free, simple and you don't even have to sign up or register to use it.
    just 'drag and drop' the image there...the url will show up, copy and paste it here.
    --
    you have to use url's because this forum does not store uploaded images(as far as I know) like something as Crosstown Torrents did.

thnkgreen and Kurt Max like this.
  11. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I was watching the bonus footage and I heard some weird tapping and wondered if it was some audience noises. Turned out it was my cat tapping on the window to come in. Really! HAhaha.

12. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

"...stopped for a...COUGH...COUGH...intermission"

squittolo, The Beave and Mike Dow like this.
  13. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

I concur (at least to a great extend). Like you already suggested it seems to depend on the character of the certain track. And there are some among them, like Message to Love, where the jazzy/unsteady Mitchell style just kills the feel of the song.

14. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Yeah, Jimi's so out of tune on Hear My Train from Berkeley I seriously cringe. Never thought to notice if Buddy was out also. "People even copy my mistakes." Jimi being a bit out of tune kind of adds to the personality of the recording.
    Regarding the Madison show, I have a nice 3 source merge that doesn't sound too murky. I'll get that show a re-listen. I'm always on the lookout for any version of Hear My Train that rivals the Berkeley one.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

:D

The Beave likes this.
  16. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I have fond memories of going to Mark S. Renusch's home in Hawaii and he shared with me his world class Hendrix photo collection. There are photos of us together outside his beach home.

17. Purple Jim

I don't agree at all with that. It's one of the most supreme guitar moments of Jimi's captured on tape and film. The way Mitch interacts with him is magnificent. If there is a little tuning problem here and there,... what the hell, it's a masterpiece.

squittolo, iggyd, Roberto899 and 14 others like this.
  18. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Wow, you had personal contacts with the Rainbow Bridge film team? (edit: you didn't say film team, my bad) Did they have the film reels in their personal possession?

I think they didn't realise at that time what they had. This footage is the best ever made of Jimi Hendrix. In my opinion they could have made a Jimi plays Maui film. It would not have been very long, Maybe 50 minutes of concert footage. I don't think it is a couple of seconds they threw away. The film reels with Hey Baby, In from the Storm and Foxy Lady could have totalled more than 20 minutes. Add in the complete Voodoo Child, some Fire, complete Dolly Dagger, complete Villanova Junction and complete Red House (plus some Freedom). Slap in some Gemini twins and Chuck Wein speech in front, and you are done. It would have been the best Jimi Hendrix concert film.

19. Purple Jim

Remember that early mixes of some studio recorded songs were in the movie, so perhaps Jimi would've included a mix of studio and live tracks for the soundtrack album himself.

Jimi Bat, jhm, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  20. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Yes, I have associates directly connected to the film team (the Chuck Wein Estate) and any remaining unreleased footage. It is through those connections that almost 20 years ago I acquired the Stone Free, Freedom and Red House footage in pristine condition (as well as Dolly Dagger etc.). If they had more...I'd have known (and gotten it). All under strict NDAs. Non disclosure agreements of course.

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks, had just seen that posted earlier today.

DTK likes this.
  22. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Wow (edit: Sorry, I just could have liked his post. ;)

Kurt Max likes this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Cat talking to you?

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::biglaugh:

Kurt Max likes this.
  25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

One of Hendrix's finest moments indeed Jim, along with BOG Machine Gun. In almost fifty years since I first heard Berkeley HMTAC I have never notice Hendrix being out of tune on that number, other numbers, other shows, yes but nor HMTAC.