Wanting to hear from owners of the current Rega P8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rufusbass, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I doubt they would have with no advertising for it. And I doubt I would find out on my own either.
    I also cant remove old posts but you are welcome to stay mad.

3. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Can't recall exact specs of wow and flutter and rumble but to suffice to say recent models were far better than tolerances and good enough for the medium.

If one is especially sensitive to wow and flutter, go Technics - or better still - digital. Otherwise, don't get hung up. If, for example, you fancy the aesthetic and design and have ample dosh, the Rega will serve you more than well enough.

Vinyl replay is inherently problematic. But that's to miss point entirely. Or rather, that is the point - there's beauty in the chaos. No matter the stylus tip, it'll be distorted. No matter the TT, there'll be measurable wow etc.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Wattie66 and trd like this.
  4. Leonthepro

The interesting part is whats audible. With a good TT and stylus you wont heart Wow or Distortion.

Gibsonian likes this.
  5. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

The noise-floor itself is audible.

6. Leonthepro

Depends on the vinyl and music.

7. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Any P8 owners not using their supplied sit on cover and need to dispense with it... I'll have it!

8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I'm not a Rega fanatic either. Had a 3 many years ago and replaced it with a much better and much more expensive Gyrodec.

What does tick me off is the constant trolling by some, not your good self, of anything that is not DD.

Add to that constant rudeness and misinformation (either out of date, as in this case, or downright wrong, in other cases) and what we have is a blatant attempt to colour the truth.

The reality is that some people prefer BD others prefer DD, I have had both and vastly prefer BD. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Live and let live.

I do hope that the OP went ahead of with his P8 and is enjoying it. As you say it is a fantastic TT regardless of what the DD Police say.

9. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Agree totally.... or people quoting stuff from reviews..... having not heard the product they are slaughtering or indeed praising.:)

Any road Happy New Year whatever technology you prefer in any sphere of audio.:D

Randoms and MGW like this.
  10. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

Have any of you auditioned the P6 w/ Ania against the P8 /w Apheta 3 side by side? How big is the gap?

11. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

The P8 design is a no go for me, this full size dust-cover lid might change this, how much is it if I may ask ?
    'Thanks

12. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

The really nice heavy one is $285.00, it transforms the visuals on the P8.

Trash collector and Pmds55889397 like this.
  13. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I've fallen in love with my Rega P8 / Apheta 2 an Aria. To me it's vinyl nirvana.
    The sound quality of this table really came as as a big surprise to me because I've always believed that a turntable needs mass and therefore bring some weight to the scale. Rega proves that there are other ways to create a great sound.
    The only thing that bothers me with this (and other high priced Rega tables) is the lack of VTA and RCA terminals.....

14. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I'm not having a go @Leonthepro, but do you remember this quote?

"Most people just dont hear it. Depending on the music taste, no one could probably hear it. So I think its unfair to say most are unhappy with their Regas regarding speed."

The Planar 8 is a somewhat better turntable than a Planar 1.

Leonthepro and MGW like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Did OP get the P8?

16. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

This is all true and even the Technics (excellent turntables) owners can't escape the fact that every record manufactured has built in wow and flutter with so very few being perfectly centred (or perfectly flat) so as you said if people are super sensitive to it then vinyl is possibly not the medium for them. Of course vinyl can sound truly stunning and I really enjoyed a friend's Planar 6.

Apologies @rufusbass, I an not a current Rega Planar 8 owner.

McLover likes this.
  17. Docbot

Docbot Well-Known Member

Yes, I did the exact comparison. I also include the p10/Apheta 3. There was a large jump between the P6/ania and p8/Apheta 3. The p10 was wonderful but not an enormous uplift over the p8. Maybe it was the aria limiting what the p10 could do. Anyway, I went for the p8 which is a wonderful deck.

18. Leonthepro

I'm guessing that you took the second quote from a thread where I'm trying to alleviate the worries of a potentially new budget TT customer.

What I imply there is true, wow and flutter error is easier or harder to hear depending on the music. Orchestral vs hip hop for example.
    Most people with taste for the latter don't typically feel the need for a 5000$ TT. Likewise I was satisfied at the time but was not after a change in taste, which is partly why I upgraded. All I'm doing is sharing in my reasoning for not going with a more expensive Rega.
    The OP was already worried about pitch issues so is it unreasonable for me to post Regas own tolerances?
    Its also true most are happy with their Regas, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.
    Its not like I said its a bad table or brand.

I'm aware an RP8 is better, but spec wise I was personally not impressed.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  19. Trash collector

Trash collector Member

Where did you get the dust cover from? It looks great! I recently purchased my P8. I too am concerned with dust becoming a problem. Your input would be appreciated

20. Litejazz53

A friend of mine does them when he has the time, would you like for me to have one made? I also had one made for this Marantz turntable

[​IMG]

chrism1971 likes this.
  21. Litejazz53

The dust will get into the turntable, all up under it, it gets in everywhere, that umbrella cover will not even come close to keeping it protected, unfortunately.

22. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I see the usual suspects of the Technics army barged in again with their "thread craps" all over the place. Keep your butt ugly TT and just stay out of Rega threads. It's not that hard! Enjoy your DD's!:rant:

23. Foxnaim

Foxnaim Forum Resident

Looks like no one is passing through here right now, but I’ve been looking for bit of a Rega P8 thread just to get opinions and throw in a few comments now and then.

Back in May 2020 I had an idea of getting back into LP playback again but my records are lying around I’m my loft(200 plus) so I got them down and oh blood ell ! even though I’d wrapped them up in thick cardboard coverings, nearly all of my records were filthy and gritty.

Now then, I’m already off topic here but here’s the point. I purchased a Project VCE so cleaning duties sorted. The bought a Rega P1 Plus… Ok it was really good value but I wanted more sound out of the grooves so I sent the P1 back and got a Rega P3/Elys2. Great was the P3 but the cartridge was crap with loads of IGD.

Into the fold came my P8 with Ania which was excellent, much more music being extracted from my records and I’m amazed at some of details that even my CD’s can’t produce. Ok so I had few bob left over so I decided to upgrade the cartridge to an Atheta 3 and then bought a pre owned Aria Mk1 and WOW !! oh my gosh, played, The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour (2012) pressing. Anyone who says this remaster is not very good in any way needs to hear it on a my combo. It’s just incredible the way the stylus really digs the sound out and presents it in a slightly bright, but smooth and never harsh. I think my Naim Superuniti does a great job making the sound punchy and interesting, and boy it certainly interesting. One thing that has disappeared is the dreaded IGD. The Atheta just scoops the information with no tracking issues at all.

My investment is the most I’ve ever spent on Analogue but it’s well worth it and I feel it’s a real occasion when I put a record on the platter now knowing it’s going to sound great and really surprise me. I’m pleased that my mostly old Analogue mastered records are in good condition and I can’t believe that Project got all the fingers out and now my records are soooo quiet now almost inky black..

Since May 2020 I’ve purchased around 50 LP’s both new and pre owned and a few new record boxes. I think I’m gona need a bigger house

I enjoyed sharing my thoughts, hope you did too.

Greetings from Formby, Liverpool, England

24. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

Looks like OP didn't end up with a P8, but - the numbers I last pulled via RPM for my RP8 with Neo PS were 33.32 RPM, .12% wow/flutter.

Randoms, Echoes Myron and LARGERTHAN like this.
  25. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

My experience is a little similar to you. I got into vinyl (and HiFi, for that matter) a couple of years ago, my entry point being a P3 with the Elys II. My experience of the Elys is a little better than yours (no noticeable IGD), however, the cart needs replacing and so I’ve taken that as the opportunity to step up to a P8 with a Dynavector 10x5MkII (on the dealers recommendation). I’m hoping to collect the TT today/tomorrow.

I’ve held off on picking up a phono stage at this point (I want to hear the thing through my current set up first), but it’s good and helpful to read about your experience and the benefits delivered by the Aria.