What item of equipment to distance the most?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

If you use a psu to power up your turntable, and also a remote phono stage, is there a "golden rule" as to what bit of kit should be the furthest away from your turntable?Or does it make no difference?

2. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I believe it's much more important to keep the PSU further away. I've never heard of or had issues with having my phono stage sitting directly beside my table.

frimleygreener likes this.
  3. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

External phono stages can also have a separate PSU.
    As a general rule I would keep anything with a transformer as far as reasonably possible away, but no need to overdo it as electromagnetic fields diminish quickly, respectively are low anyway for these types.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Anything that generates electromagnetic fields should be kept away from the phono cartridge and tonearm wires -- that pretty much means all kind of power transformers, including those inside pretty much every piece of electronics, as well as external things like wall wart style switch mode power supplies. In addition other sources of noise that should be kept away are RF generators like wifi and wifi-enabled equipment, cellular equipment, etc. Of course, it's a balance because we're using our gear with other gear that it has to be near, and we're living in very electrically noisy environments in the modern age. So keep the things away the best you can and make sure components and cables are well shielded, etc. and if you do run into a specific problem with induced noise, address that specific problem. It's not like you necessarily need miles of distance between these things to make it work.

5. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I don't believe it matters that much. Remember the motor in your TT is only 12 inches or less from the cartridge.
    Some of the Pro-ject tables had hum issues relating to motor radiation and the OM-5e amplifying it.
    My new cheapy TT came with interconnects about as thick as a piece of spaghetti. Better quality cables eliminated
    the residual hum completely. C6B table at Walmart $99. Many Pro-ject parts and a 7 lb. steel platter ! A real steal.

6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Phono stage should be as close to TT, as it could be. Keep PS away from from phono stage and interconnect cables.

frimleygreener and benzo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.