Turntable Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Score17, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I’m a newbie audiophile looking to upgrade from my current turntable, the AT LP120.

The general top of my budget is $500. I’d appreciate any advice on the best quality upgrade in this range, and of course which TT would sound best with my set up.

Obv, I want a clean table without the unnecessary pre amp and usb my current one has (I’m not daring enough to try the removal mod, btw).

Rega Planar 1 and Project Debut Carbonseem to be top options; I welcomeimpressions on those and any other options.

Thanks in advice!

Greg

Monty12 likes this.
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

3. Score17

Seems like a very good option, particularly with the stock Ortofon Blue stylus. Thank you.

Monty12 likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Used Technics SL1200Mk2 (or later). Should be able to find one in decent condition for $400-500, and it'll significantly outperform any new 'table in that price range (or under $700-1000, really).

$500 new 'tables don't generally sound much better than entry-level 'tables. If that's your hard budget and you're unwilling to go used, then I'd guess I'd spend the money on improvements elsewhere in your system, such as cartridge or speakers, depending on what you have already.

5. knotscott

knotscott Bi-Amp Believer

Here's an interesting YouTube video shootout...the Rega did well. The Fluance was a front runner on my list too.

Given the huge impact of the cartridge, I ended up buying the newer improved version of the AT-LP120XUSB with the upgraded VM95SH nude shibata stylus. The TT has a quieter motor, they fixed the preamp issues, and the nude shibata stylus is a step up from the nude elliptical on the RT85. Very pleased with the sound for the money spent. No regrets.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  6. Score17

regarding mods on the AT LP120, is it worth getting a cartridge upgrade without doing the pre amp removal?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

$500 doesn't buy you much of an upgrade new. Rega Planar begins getting the fundamentals right when you get to Planar 3 level, or you're chasing upgrades. Pro-Ject Debut likewise no better. Save another $600-$700 or buy a better cartridge for what you already own.

tyinkc and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Ugh. Would try to get rid of the AT LP120 regardless of anything, but if you're bound and determined to keep it, then I'd do both the preamp removal and the cart upgrade.

But really, it's a 'table that's popular only because it's very widely available/they're in big-box stores and is reasonably cheap. There are far better 'tables out there, but not really until you get to the $700-1000 level new, or go with the used Technics mentioned earlier.

The good $700-1000 class 'tables, if you ever decide to go there, are stuff like the Rega Planar 3, Pioneer PLX-1000, VPI Cliffwood, Technics SL1200Mk7, and Schiit Sol (though that last one requires a certain amount of tinkering... but also probably has the highest sound quality potential of any of these listed).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Another vote for used Technics - most any of theirs with a 1/2" mount.

10. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Perhaps a used Rega P2? It's a pretty decent tt and worthy of a cartridge upgrade down the road.

11. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

I'd strongly suggest you look for a used Rega P3 as opposed to either new P1 or P2. Upgrading either P1 or P2 is a fool's game, they just don't make the cut IMHO.

Nathan Z likes this.
  12. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Really ? I have never understood why people think the 1200 is such a great sounding table.

13. Cyclone Ranger

I dunno. 'Cuz they listen to it?

14. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Oh please, I recently listened to a 1200 vs an HK T60 and the HK kicked it's butt in every way possible. The 1200 is largely mystique and a good used one is way overpriced compared to almost everything else.

15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Let me be honest, within the 500 pricerange there isn’t much of an improvement over a 150 buck atlp120...
    They’re just more solidly built and look a bit nicer, but performance doesn’t differ that much.

However if you’re looking for exactly that, then there’s plenty of choice.
    A few noteworthy are:
    Fluance RT84 or 85
    Uturn Orbit (you can select various options in their store - but all of them lack anti-skate adjustment)
    Rega planar 2 (lacks adjustable anti-skate)
    Project Debut Carbon
    Audio Technica ATLP5X

While often looked down upon by those with a lack of experience: Hanpin Super OEM, like the Stanton ST150, Reloop RP-7000, atlp140, atlp1240 or Pioneer PLX-1000 are very decent midrange turntables and are a significant step up from an atlp120.

If you’re looking for a direct drive turntable, there’s not much choice in the midrange, other than DJ turntables.
    Unless you go vintage like Denon, Jvc or Micro seiki.

The standard recommendation is “buy an old Technics SL-1200mk2”.
    Due to their popularity and the production stopped in 2010, their price has risen significantly.
    Unless you’re in for a long home DIY project, it’s not a valid option under 700 bucks.
    If you want one that’s also visually in good shape, be prepared to pay even more.
    They do last for decades though, so it’s an investment.

BSU likes this.
  16. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

So many good used tables you could choose from that should easily beat that AT 120 for less than or up to your 500. price point. Many Technics, Pioneers, Yamaha and other vintage tables out there.

Score17 likes this.
  17. Cyclone Ranger

Opinion noted.

Everyone else: “WTF is an HK T60??”

(yeah, it’s a Harmon-Kardon. But that’s missing the point.)

WithinYourReach and Slick Willie like this.
  18. Slick Willie

Not sure what to say about that statement.
    Seems highly improbable!

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  19. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Why ?

20. Cyclone Ranger

Uh huh.

*goes to Guitar Center’s website, immediately sees an SL1200 Mk2 for $400*:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Technics/SL1200MK2-Turntable-116636671.gc

You gotta understand, Oel... you’re in the Netherlands, the OP is in the USA. Things are different here.

Oelewapper likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

No need for me to answer that, not gonna' change your "truth".

22. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

That thing is beat to hell, there are what appear to be deep gouges in several spots and the dust cover is in horrible condition.

23. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Thanks for the well sussed reply.

24. Slick Willie

About as sussed as your shootout review.:p

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

You should call up Guitar Center and complain. I’m sure they’d love to hear from you. :p

Slick Willie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.