Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

So many people obsessing about Metheny pressings, versions, alternate mastering, gold CD, remasters, purple CDs. etc..

Do you guys actually enjoy the music itself?

Pat

conjotter and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Speaking for myself, I can assure you that I wouldn’t spend my hard earned on different version of any piece of music unless I loved it and wanted to hear it at its best.

This is a music and mastering forum so surely you expect people to discuss different masters?

Through this forum I’ve learned a lot about how music is recorded, mixed and mastered and I’ve put this to good use by finding versions of my favourites that give me greater insight into the music and greater musical enjoyment.

bluerondo and unclefred like this.
  3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yes, despite some people whining about us finding the best sounding versions of music we like and telling others to get a particular version that sounds better than others. It's not always the most expensive or rarest version either (e.g. the regular original, not mastered Warner Brothers CD of "Made In Japan" by Deep Purple).

Musicisthebest likes this.
  4. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Comparing peak levels shows that they are 2 distinct, albeit similar sounding masters.

ironrod94 likes this.
  5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

New Metheny album coming in 2021 from his new label, Modern Recordings (BMG). The dish:

“Pat’s first record will be out in March (a single will be coming in a few weeks). This record is about Pat the composer. He wrote a piece for the LA Guitar Quartet and a piece for Jason Vieaux, a great classical guitarist. Pat added a bonus track of his rendition of the [Arvo] Part piece called Fur Alina. Really beautiful record. It’s called Road To The Sun.”

This makes me very happy.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Great guitarist. Could listen to him all day. :righton:

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Metheny doing Arvo Part...I am in!

tenor1, Wounded Land, AnalogJ and 2 others like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Cool. I wonder if this means he will be back to releasing albums more frequently (with no concerts for a while, it seems like a good idea).

Jimbino likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Last year he said he had several albums in the can.

10. Jimbino

That was my thought too. I really want to hear a Side Eye album, or a live release from the From This Place band.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember he said he recorded a duo album with Ron Carter, that would be nice to hear.

12. Jimbino

Oh Lord, yes.

bluerondo likes this.
  13. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

Huge fan here. I was on board fairly early on. He is in regular rotation.
    In addition to the early ECM releases, I really like, "Beyond The Missouri Sky" with Charlie Haden
    "One Quiet Night" and Marc Johnon's "The Sound of Summer Running". I also highly recommend Lyle Mays' s/t.

14. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

3 years ago got to see him at The Blue Note which is a little tiny jazz club in NYC. It was great that in addition to playing large venues and huge tours he still comes back to the bread and butter small clubs that keep jazz alive. I also think his latest album is very good.

Jimbino and AnalogJ like this.
  15. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Can't recall what I first heard, but I entered with the late 1980s PMG era; Road to You, Letter from Home, etc. Saw PMG in concert in 1989, Metheny/Haynes/Holland in, I think, 1992, and the Secret Story tour in 1993. Maybe a couple, three other shows on the Imaginary Day tour (1998?), and shortly after. Can't recall offhand.

He hasn't been near my territory in a long time, and apart from the first three shows I mentioned, I had to travel to see him.

He's never far away from my turntable, CD player or other playback media.

Jimbino and AnalogJ like this.
  16. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Currently listening to Speaking Of Now on Qobuz.
    Superb.

Bill007 and AnalogJ like this.
  17. Jimbino

The new Metheny album is now available for pre-order. From the press blurb:

"With two major new works, performanced [sic] by five of the world's leading guitarists, Metheny charts a new way of obliterating boundaries between genres while simultaneously unveiling new facets of an already expansive personal language.
    Grammy-winner Jason Vieaux, described by NPR as "perhaps the most precise and soulful classical guitarist of his generation" was tapped by Metheny to perform his four-movement solo guitar suite 'Four Paths Of Light'.
    The centerpiece of this landmark recording is 'Road To The Sun', a six-movement piece for fellow Grammy-Award winning Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - LAGQ - Metheny describes them as "one of the best bands in the world."
    The recording concludes with what Metheny describes as a "bonus track'; a performance of Arvo Part's 'Fur Alina', performed by Metheny on his Manzer 42-string Pikasso guitar."

Here are a few sources:

Road To The Sun CD (Autographed)
    Road To The Sun
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PBJKVF...99191&sprefix=metheny+road+to+,aps,217&sr=8-1

18. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

WOW!

If you had mentioned any one of the three names (Jason Vieaux, LAGQ, or Arvo Part) I would probably have been onboard. All three? Autobuy.

Jimbino likes this.
  19. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I am inspired by this thread to pull out some old Pat releases. I always loved "Letter from home" and "Secret Story" although i also thought Song X was great :bdance:

ironrod94 and Jimbino like this.
  20. StarThrower62

PMG compositions. It's interesting to see and hear who wrote what and how it all fits together.

21. StarThrower62

22. Jimbino

StarThrower62 likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

From the website, you can buy a copy of the new album that includes a signed print. It about doubles the cost of the retail. With "From This Place", early preorders came with a signed print for free.

When Metheny came to The Cabot in Beverly a couple of years ago, I bought a copy of the Pat Metheny fakebook that was signed, costing me only retail price.

24. StarThrower62

Jimbino likes this.
  25. StarThrower62

Leszek Możdżer - piano (1, 5) Pat Metheny - guitar (2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12) Dan Berglund - double bass (2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12) Magnus Öström - drums (2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12) Nils Landgren - trombone, vocals (4, 5, 10, 11, 12) Lars Danielson - double bass, cello (5, 6, 7, 12) Jaron Herman - piano (6, 7, 11, 12 ) Vijay Iyer - piano (8, 9) Michael Wollny - piano (10) Viktoria Tolstoy - vocals (11, 12)

Jimbino likes this.