Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Barefoot Floors 75

2. Vegetable Man

Vegetable Man Forum Resident

I’m also curious to know this! I would love to hear the “hopped up” On The Beach version of Tonight’s The Night with Greg Reeves that was mentioned in Shakey. Hearing Barefoot Floors or other Homegrown-era suprises would be neat too.

Am I crazy or was an outtake of One More Sign from the Tonight’s The Night sessions mentioned in the first Outtakes announcement? I don’t think it ever made it up, but it could also be a contender for the second batch if they are in fact from the Archives Vol 2 timeline.

domesticmachine likes this.
  3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

How would we find the exclusive tracks? Do you have to know where to look for them like with the 5 live shows dropped this week? Or will you get some kind of notification?

oneway23 likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There is usually an announcement on the front page of the Contrarian. To be honest I preferred it when there was an “outtakes” album on the app rather then the tracks being added to the album sessions they were from

bobcat, vertigone, Pawnmower and 3 others like this.
  5. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

these extra tracks are only available via streaming from NYA, correct? Not downloadable (at least legally)?

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yes streaming only at the moment. But Neil has they will become available for download at some point

monkeyboy67 and garymc like this.
  7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

When you say "added to the album sessions", does this mean they are added to the tracklists of the albums in the timeline, or do we have to randomly search for them like easter eggs, a la the bootlegs? Thanks!

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

For example for Dance Dance Dance and Bag Fog of Loneliness you now have to select Harvest to listen to these and they are at the end of the album track list

Matthew Tate and oneway23 like this.
  9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for the prompt reply. Bit unwieldy! It can be fun to dig around in the cabinet for a while, but, I can't imagine I'm the only one who would really appreciate an adjacent Outtake album placed on the timeline for each proper album cycle.

Hopefully, it's something they do as more of these begin to come out

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    garymc likes this.
  10. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

“One More Sign” from SIR was on the initial outtake list, and it’s the only one from that list that hasn’t been uploaded yet. Neil has also said in several LTTE responses that “Sedan Delivery” will be an outtake, and hopefully the amount of people writing to him about it will bring that one to the forefront. Other than that, we don’t know what the others could be, but I’m personally hoping for either the Crazy Horse version of “White Line,” the OTB version of “Tonight’s the Night,” the SIR version of “Wonderin’,” and a few more Homegrown outtakes (especially one of the takes of “Barefoot Floors,” the take of “Long May You Run,” and the Quad versions of “Frozen Man” and “Bad News Comes to Town”)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Dume is everything I wanted it to be and more. Think this is my favourite Too Far Gone.

12. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

So many questions are being asked in this thread and . . . . . BOOM! . . . . . . someone replies with an answer . . . . . sometimes within minutes. Some of the info being discussed is only known by hard core Neil Young fans who have PhD degrees in Neil's official discography, home demos, hotel recordings, official live performances, etc. I tried to find the answer to my question on the Internet and also on this thread but I was unable to confirm it 100%. I know some people on this thread know the answer to my question, which I asked way back on page 191. I actually feel like a fool because I have been unable to confirm such basic info. I am pleading for help. Please, can someone . . . . . without sarcasm or jokes . . . . . . can someone please answer my question with honesty and accuracy?
    Is March 2021 the earliest that the iTunes Store [U.S.A.] will have digital downloads of Neil Young Archives Vol. II available to purchase?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

My understanding is that no downloads will be available from anywhere until March.

Frankie TAN and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

OK, I did it. I signed up for NYA. I've been bummed to not be able to get one of the boxes -- didn't know it was up for pre-order 'til it was too late. I've been trying to make due with the new Elvis and Joni boxes, but for $20 I'm looking forward to getting to hear this stuff before March... my favorite era of my favorite musician. Rock on.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Heart of Gold

If I have understood correctly the Archives terminology, the first Barefoot Floors is only a fragment, one minute.

16. IHeartRecordsAz

Just out of curiosity, you know they’ve made more deluxe box sets and a general retail version available, right?

ARK, Matthew Tate and John Porcellino like this.
  17. IHeartRecordsAz

Maybe the second take from 1/1/75 is more fleshed out? The interesting thing is that both versions have mixes (and the first one has multiple), so these have been deemed good enough at some point to have been worked on.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  18. Heart of Gold

I think that the second one is complete.

IHeartRecordsAz likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Except for those who purchased the original (“strictly limited to 3000 copies”) edition.

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

He's talking about purchasing downloads.

dtuck90 likes this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Ah.

22. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Pretty curious to listen to it and the '75 Motorcycle Mama. Meanwhile...

ARK and Heart of Gold like this.
  23. Heart of Gold

In the Archives Book, they use the term log (which in the recording terminology it doesn't mean anything) for some kind of original mix. Does anyone know what the hell exactly it means?

24. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Has anyone got photos/a print of the whole book? I've been dying to take a look at it...

qtrules likes this.
  25. IHeartRecordsAz

yesteryear likes this.