Rolling Stones Let It Bleed RSD EVISCERATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Maybe they could have done a lenticular cover!

It's OK, I'll see myself out.:p

2. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

It's really hard not to reach for the cliched comparison of those people who became convinced of the huge value of Beanie Babies when discussing a purpose built 'collectors item' like this. The catalogues of major artists - around which the demographic most susceptible to the pull of the 'Beanie Baby' will clamor - are becoming littered with this stuff. Simply put, they are faux collectibles of interest only to those who fail to understand the historical / archival fundamentals of the real collectors market. They're not antiques - almost nothing of what is collected is over 100 years old (yet!) - but the same principles apply. Stamps, books, records. Originality, being the first of its kind - of being that thing of its own time.

If you are chasing for one of these 2020 faux collectibles - at that ludicrous price - and don't have a first pressing of the album, and most every subsequent pressing, what on earth, beyond the online hysteria of the moment, would indicate to you that you had to have this?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    BroJB, Sean, Man at C&A and 4 others like this.
  3. Avenging Robot

The other issue is that unlike, say original mono copies of Let It Bleed, these 900 copies will remain sealed or barely played for the purpose of resale. So it's not going to be a challenge to find a mint, clean copy years later.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Buy a clear abko copy for a fraction of the price and donate the difference to a local food bank. It’s Thanksgiving down there.

5. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

It will be sold out 15 minutes after the doors open Friday.

marcb, Sean, Use_Your_Koala and 2 others like this.
  6. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I am only peripherally interested in comics, but I've read that there was a huge production of pre-sealed first issues of new series in the 1990s, and that nowadays these "collectors' items" are a glut on the market.

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Some of the bootleg LPs I bought back in the day had more impressive looking colored vinyl than this thing!

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

This is an AAA guy. He’s an advocate for high quality AAA releases.

9. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

-Hipsters who don't know any better.

I have a nice used vinyl copy of LIB I scored from a record show a few years ago for I think $12. Why the f#ck would I ever consider buying this overpriced piece of crap?

Lost In The Flood and docwebb like this.
  10. Even more true of sports cards. You literally cannot give away boxes of new, sealed card packs from the ‘90s (at least for some major brands).

11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i thought the same thing when i saw him talking about the sleeve which looks like the one that came with my original US pressing when it first was released.

Spencer R likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think the objection to the sleeve is that a $100 record shouldn’t come pre-damaged from a ****ty paper inner, right?

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This has been a fun Sunday morning read. We have those that want one. Those that think you're an idiot if you want one. Those that call it "just another cash grab". Last time I checked companies are in the business to make money. Oh the horror. I'm a big Stones fan and yes I do believe it's overpriced. I appreciated the video and would love to visit @The 'In' Groove store. I will buy one if my local happens to get one in.

hardknox, tinnox, Sean and 2 others like this.
  14. Avenging Robot

When the Star Wars prequels came out in the late '90s several people noticed that the original Star Wars action figures that were still mint in their original packaging were going for serious money. Lots of people thought if they bought the toys from the prequels and left them in the package they would be incredibly rich in a decade or two. No, it just means that supply outstrips demand keeping the price down for the foreseeable future.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Not sure whether this is AAA, I suspect it isn’t, but, if it’s the same 2019 Bob Ludwig cut from the DSD master as the stereo LP in the 50th anniversary Super Deluxe set, this will actually be a nice record to listen to, for those who care to do so. I was somewhat surprised that the unboxing video didn’t bother to put the record on a turntable to play a snippet of “Gimme Shelter” or whatever. Maybe YouTube copyright rules prohibit that. But the records on the 50th anniversary box do actually sound good, and, assuming the multi-colored vinyl doesn’t impact the sound, this record should sound good, too.

Nielsoe likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If the Stones had pressed 10,000 of these, maybe there would in fact be a glut of them. At 900 copies, I don’t see that happening. Time will tell.

Sean likes this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nah, it’s really not par for the course. This is over 200% more expensive than most single LP RSD colored vinyl titles. Usually they top out around $30.

19. Avenging Robot

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Lost In The Flood and Buddybud like this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As with every other Record Store Day release, and, well, every other record ever released in world history, no one is forcing you to buy this. Just like no one is going to come to my house and force me to buy L’il Wayne’s or Jerry Garcia’s Record Store Day releases, no one is going to come to your house and force you to buy this.

Sean likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

The cardboard is about half the thickness of an original US cover. OTOH, it’s close to an original UK. But it feels pretty cheap, especially in a market where expensive titles tend to have thick cardboard tip-on Stoughton manufactured jackets.

Sean likes this.
  22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I like to think of this conversation here as a hand poured thread.

23. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Very true. However, the problem is there will be people buying this, and a release like this may very well drive up the prices of future RSD releases I do want to buy.

groovelocked, Man at C&A and Tom Wabe like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I get that. And now, 50 years later, it is sought after by collectors who will never play it, because they already own 20 other copies of Revolver, solely because of the colored vinyl. Other Japanese pressings are far more valuable with the original obi strip intact, which of course has no impact on how the record sounds.

I already have 7 or 8 copies of every Stones album from Out of Our Heads through Let It Bleed. Do I really “need” another copy of any Stones record? No, not really. But one man’s gimmick is another man’s hobby.

Sean and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Avenging Robot

You mean pretentious sounding and ultimately disappointing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.