Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Ok, so merch people are taking advantage of the collector’s compulsion… Is it new ? Hardly. Frustrating ? Maybe. Does it make for an attractive release plan for the casual fan and the occasional record buyer? I tend to think so. I mean, in the remaining record stores, the McCartney III colors are going to be spectacular and appealing for passers-by, so I think it’s a good gimmick. And some people may even get the idea to buy it as a Christmas gift for their parents… Myself, I’ll buy two items: the white covered black LP (what I call “the album”) and then the Deluxe next year if it happens (what I call “the music completist in me”). But if my kids find it cool to get me the blue mask (!) or the red dices, I’ll be ok with that !

I find it ironic that on the same forum(s) where the “downloadgate” was debated like it was indeed a political scandal of historical importance, we now get such heated reactions about McCartney releasing too many physical products. :shrug:If I was him, I’d release the Flowers in the Dirt download-only tracks in color CDs for the next RSD, just to make a point.

BeatleJWOL, theMess, Mkirk and 11 others like this.
  2. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

So yeah looks like Breakfast With The Beatles really played 2 tracks from McCartney III.
    Anyone in the US can get a recording of the show? Thank you!!
    Breakfast With The Beatles Sunday

3. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I've just finished my first listen to the album and these are my first impressions:

1) Long Tail Winter Bird: ***1/2
    Lovely and long introduction, nice to have a bit of a minimoog sneaked in there too, which is such a characteristic of Paul's 70s sound. The song is very repetitive and the best thing about it is it sounds like Paul's having fun, which comes across quite well and draws the listener in to the rest of the record. Lovely to have some flutes and backwards flutes, shades of Magical Mystery Tour-era.

2) Find My Way: ***1/2
    Song starts with harpsichord and guitar hits. There's some lovely twin-guitar lead lines here and there. The vocals sound better and more natural than they did on New and Egypt Station and so does the album's production so far, it's far more organic and less artificial. Paul sounds like he's having fun again and there's lots of very creative little touches throughout the song. What more can we hope for at this stage of his career? After the fake ending on an acoustic guitar chord we hear the outro bit as previously heard in one of the two videos.

3) Pretty Boys: ****
    Wow, lovely acoustic guitar arpeggio's on this one, beautiful melody, great vocal suited to Paul's current voice and range, lovely modern production touches and electric guitar coming in to double the acoustic guitar arpeggio's. And then the harpsichord starts to double the arpeggio's too. It's all very understated in a very tasteful manner. It's similar to Early Days in a way, but even though those lyrics have more weight to them, I like this song and its vocals better. This songs immediately grabs me on first listen!

4) Women and Wives: ****
    A lot of things have already been written about these songs and the descriptions are very good, so there's not that much to add.
    Song starts out with piano and drums played with brushes, then Paul comes in with a deep voice. In the second verse there's a lovely flugelhorn. Good song, this!

5) Lavatory Lil: ***1/2
    Nice little riff-based and upbeat song, with some call-and-response bits. Even though it doesn't sound like it production-wise, this track has the ghost of the Paul of the McCartney II-era.

6) Deep Deep Feeling: ****1/2
    There's a lot going on here, way too much to grab in one listen. But it sounds very inspired and original. The song starts with Paul singing over soms drums and then builds and twists and turns. There's some mellotron flutes in there as well. Around the 02:25 mark the song changes again, lovely arpeggio's there. It's very different to anything in Paul's catalogue, this song. I get the references to In Private. It's quite repetitive in a dreamlike, emotional way. Lovely mood. Love the way the acoustic guitar comes in later in the song and the chorus repeats over it, followed by some added piano notes.

7) Slidin': ****
    Really nice song! Very different sound to the rest of the album. Heavier lo-end and more soaked in reverb.

8) The Kiss Of Venus: *****
    The song starts off with the guitar riff we heard in the snippet from the podcast. Lovely melody and chord changes. In the second and third verse he both sings 'Packed with illusion', so when he played the song on the podcast it probably already was The Kiss Of Venus and not Packed With Illusion later reworked into The Kiss Of Venus. It's just Paul, acoustic guitars and some backing vocals. Quite unexpected and lovely intermezzo featuring a spinet or harpsichord. This is one of the best songs on the record.

9) Seize The Day: ***
    Nice little pop song, nice chord changes. Starts with a wurlitzer. I get the People Want Peace references, but the production is a lot better.

10) Deep Down: ***
    Song starts off with a high vocal that sounds like a flute. Song has a nice Rude Studio-like mood, the kind of thing you could easily hear Paul track in there, with a moody wurlitzer, some rough drums, an organ, some acoustic guitar, vocals. Am not too fond of the (midi?) brass, they're quite big in the mix in an eighties kind of way, sticking out a bit too much. Makes it sound pretty artificial. But the song is alright.

11) Winter Bird/When Winter Comes: *****
    The song starts off with a 25 second reprise of Long Tail Winter Bird, then follows When Winter Comes. It's so good to finally hear and have this song from the fabled 1992 session.
    It's very simple, elegant and effortless. Its sound is of course familiar to us from the other two songs from the same day. It's just lovely and understated. Really good vocal of course! Great way to end the album.

Since that was just my first listen, things can completely change!

4. Thanks very much for the nice preview - sure stimulates my expectations. ;)

5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Chris Carter has been doing Macca Mondays recently on his SiriusXM show.
    I'm tuning in tomorrow he may play them again.

6. bward

bward Senior Member

That was a different time, 50 plus years ago.

The business of selling physical produced and making money from music has radically changed in the last half century.

I have an used Beatles concert ticket that says I could have seen them for $5.50.

All four alive Today, would they still charge $5.50 through mail order to buy a ticket to a current show?

Of course not.

I don’t think we should use their decades old words and apply them to today’s world.

Besides, by the end of their time, the Beatles even broke their rule, pulling singles off Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Paul has given value for money in other ways, like album posters, standalone singles, even a picture disc last year.

They didn’t have to release Mono Ram or Thrillington viny or double RRS vinyl. But they did.

It’s not all bad

Paulwalrus, dralan and DK Pete like this.
  7. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Only if you live in the US.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I certainly didn't mean that the ratio of the cost of things would have been the same 50 years later but you make great points concerning the positive aspects of what he's put out with the deluxe sets. I think it's things like a 500 dollar "suitcase" version of an album that gets me questioning sometimes.

9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've searched high and low and come up empty for a way to rewind the station's live stream. I hope somebody was taping!

10. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

I try to search for podcasts of this show, couldn't found one...

Alen likes this.
  11. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Well, if anybody has a good enough memory, they'll remember where we went in 2018 to listen to old 'Breakfast With The Beatles' shows :tiphat:

(To those not 'in the know', there's an extensive archive of Beatles radio shows online (can't link it) where radio shows are uploaded a day after broadcast.)

Who Cares and Max Wilbury like this.

12. Right now, that looks like the best bet - unless he or the show posts them on twitter or FB before tomorrow’s show?

I did manage to find this clip of Find My Way IIRC was possibly posted upstream.

Enjoy.

James McCartney likes this.
  13. James McCartney

Countless radio shows around the world are uploaded online as a podcast after they air, and they have picked to play exclusive McIII tracks the one show that doesn't! :(:realmad:

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Thanks a lot for your telling description. I wish Illbe able to hear this more after every rewiew I read
    Thanks again

15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I wasn't part of the we. :shake:

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Don’t know that particular show (Philly, apparently). Surprising that someone doing a BWTB show played two songs but, so far at least, Chris Carter (Host of the longest running BWTB, in L.A. and on Sirius XM) has not.

Guess this means either Chris will be playing the songs soon (Maybe this morning?), or this other guy somehow got the songs early and played them unauthorized.

James McCartney likes this.
  17. James McCartney

Apparently the tracks played were "Find My Way" and "Winter Bird" (don't know if "Long tailed..." or "Winter Bird / When Winter Comes".
    Curiously the two tracks we've heard snippets of (trailer and second clip).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Rapol93 and susyredstripe like this.
  18. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

The archive is not too hard to find--simply search 'beatles radio shows' on Google and go to the website that rhymes with 'rumbler' ;)

Floater, dralan and MPLRecords like this.
  19. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

20. James McCartney

theMess, Rapol93, Calico and 2 others like this.
  21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If you want to try your luck with Beatles radio shows, Chris Carter's starts in four minutes.
    KLOS-FM

22. James McCartney

I've asked Chris Carter's Breakfast With The Beatles Facebook account if they are playing anything from McIII and this was their answer:

No, not until closer to the release date.

23. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Hear me, women and wives
    Hear me, husband and lovers
    What we do with our lives
    Seems to matter to others
    Some of them may follow
    Roads that we run down
    Chasing tomorrow

Many choices to make,
    Many chains to unravel
    Every path that we take