Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

This is my third time saying it but I believe it to be no mistake that Neil got a bunch of people who already own all his music and even the new Archives set to ALSO pay for a subscription because ARCHIVES II could only be heard at the NYA for a duration. Good work Neil, oh boy do you know your fan base!
    Loving the Archive II but I'm one of those that finds the inclusion of many times released canonical album versions of songs to be a bummer and a rip-off. Neil saying that he has an "idea" of how his Archives have to be represented, in a digital age, when we also all already own these studio albums many times over, is some BULL. We can just go to your Archives, Neil, and compile playlists that match your idea of an Archive, we don't have to pay for a CD that has 5 new songs and ten songs we already have on the original albums. Also, three albums on this ARCHIVE II that we already have from earlier this year and last? I'm literally skipping half the tracks on most of the box set to hear the music I actually want to hear.
    Also, we've learned Neil has many alt takes of studio recordings. Why not issue those on a box set of rarities except the same friggin' versions we've literally heard thousands of times and which we own already in every conceivable form. To ask hundreds of dollars for a few discs of "new" music is bull. I know there's a book and posters but no one has said: I'm buying ARCHIVES II for a book.
    Anyone buying ARCHIVES II does not need to hear the studio version of TIRED EYES after several amazing unreleased versions.
    I'm going to make the 2-3 discs of rarities and probably never listen to the music as ARCHIVES II presents it.

DmitriKaramazov and sparkmeister like this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

My copy is still crossing the Pond by rowboat.

3. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

You’re not the only one with that mental block. Still buying everything on disc. The Spotify premium subscription I share with my family is barely used on my end.

4. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

I'm completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. I haven't been able to go past disc 1, honestly. Too much. Each of the original records covered in this box correspond to whole periods of my life. There were 2 or 3 years where Time Fades Away dominated what I was listening to. To suddenly get another disc of material related to it has been mindblowing. I don't forsee being able to get through Vol. II anytime soon...it would just be too much on so many levels.

The idea of casually blasting forward to Dume freaks me out. Zuma also was so important to me, at a completely different time...kind of an OD, this box, but I'll take it.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I started with Disc 1 on NYA. WOW... glad they won't make everyone who didn't get the early deluxe editions wait. But I really want to get the retail CDs now in March! Streaming will have to do in the meantime, but surely the physical thing will be worth the delay — what a treasure trove!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah I loved the first two discs and skipped forward a bit and currently going thru the Dume disc. Zuma is great but it’s not in my top tier, but I feel like I could really sink into all this relevant material right now.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yes I do. A CD is also physical product. I don't deal with music that floats. I don't listen to music on my phone or computer use ear buds or headphones. I can wait for my box to arrive on Wednesday. I plan on sitting on my couch looking at the book and listening to it the right way in relax mode with a big glass of bourbon.

[​IMG]

8. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

My post is directed to anyone with accurate knowledge, not just you. I'm so stupid that I can't figure out how to use the multi-quote feature.
    My decision [on how I am going to buy the Neil Young Archives Vol. II release] is based mostly on the following issue. In this thread, I seem to remember reading the info below but I've read so many damn posts that I can't remember.
    Which of these is correct?
    1. Some people [who bought one of the 3,000 "Deluxe" physical box sets from the Neil Young Archives website and are waiting for it's shipment to arrive] are not yet able to currently download digital files of this release from the Neil Young website
    2. Some people [who bought the "Retail" physical box set from some website called Greedy Hand and are waiting for it's shipment to arrive] are able to currently download digital files of this release from the Greedy Hand website

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

After having emailed them 2 times, Download link email had just been received (EU store, ordered in October). It will take almost 1 hour, one track at a time...

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I was contacted last night and freely sent my codes to a forum member.

JeffMo, Niall1984, ARK and 7 others like this.
  11. You can download multiples at a time...I downloaded in batches of 10 and it worked great and was less tedious.

12. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Yes.

13. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

I'm going to do this too but I quite like that he's done things the way he has, to see his perspective on things. He's an innarrestin' guy.

footlooseman likes this.
  14. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I am all set now, and the code came via my email this morning....

Now to tag each disc and get it on my ipod in excellent quality. I think I will go with ALAC 48 bit with DBPoweramp, resample to 48. Let's make this work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

I kinda understand the drive to put the released versions in the set, because it is arranged chronologically, you can hear how things developed. For instance, the day they got 5 masters for TTN and Joni then joined for a nightcap. It puts things in context. Of course, this thought process is immediately betrayed by the Homegrown disc, which is out of order. And I would've preferred a different 73 live than Tuscaloosa. And a live Sad Movies (mono casette be damned!)...and Country Home...and White Line...etc etc

16. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Yup -- just don't wanna wait til March to hear it all. Three songs in on Archives II and the subscription has already been worth it. This stuff is incredible!

17. kb99

kb99 Active Member

Dang. Mine’s still not here. Glad you received yours though.

18. minne

minne Forum Resident

I created a playlist or the outtakes. Sadly the playlists are gone now. Hopefully they will return.

Also, it would be nice to listen to a playlist in the App. I have send an e-mail requesting this function in June. Their reply was:

Thanks for getting in touch with the suggestion. It has been logged and will be reviewed by the team when planning future updates to the Archives.
    We appreciate the feedback and will take it under careful consideration.​

19. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

But WE can make the Archive he wants us to hear from OUR OWN versions of the albums THAT WE ALREADY PURCHASED.
    OR we do it at the Archives, like he wants us to.
    Or Spotify.
    I'm sorry, making excuses for buying the same songs OVER AND OVER is a generational, consumer-society thing. All this perceived integrity of vision is really just a way to get fans to keep purchasing, even stuff they already have, it's so obvious at this point.
    Good tunes on this set, tho'.

sparkmeister likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well said, and built in to the advantages of physical product there are the advantages of private property rights. You own the discs, the player and the privacy to keep your personal data out of tech goliaths' servers.

21. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Anyone have a photo of Archives Vol I + II next to each other?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Nice setup!!! Too much of my listening is on the go (hiking, commuting to work etc..) so streaming is a godsend for me personally.

ARK and apple-richard like this.
  23. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Actually, I don't think it is that hard to make Long May You Run a much better album, using songs Stills had from the Manassas period, and allowing Neil to add one additional song (because side two was very short). Crosby and Nash came out to work on the album, but the timing didn't work for their album. So they laid down a few vocals and, the four of them being the jolly, simple, egoless souls they are, agreed to let Stills and Young use their vocals. In return, they asked Neil to set aside Human Highway for a CSNY album to made when everyone was done with their current projects. They had a nice dinner out, laughed about how difficult they all used to be, and Stills/Young released this album:

Long May You Run*
    Make Love to You
    Midnight on the Bay*
    Black Coral*
    Fontainebleau

Traces
    Separate Ways
    Thoroughfare Gap (Stills guitar, vocals; Young banjo, harmonica, vocals)
    Let It Shine
    Witching Hour (with Stills/Young guitar duel to close the album)

Single: Long May You Run backed with 12/8 Blues (All the Same)

* David Crosby and Graham Nash appear courtesy of Atlantic records

Not a great classic, but a much better record that is much better received.

24. liverust

liverust Forum Resident

I don't but he does:

AZRunner, ARK, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  25. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Totally agree. But this of course is nothing new as far as Neil is concerned. Same deal with NYA 1.

Boswell likes this.