New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While I certainly can appreciate the enthusiasm for this release, I don't think it is going to appeal much to the general public. Most casual fans and/or curious consumers are not in the market for a multi-disc set from one specific series of sessions, especially sessions that did not generate any major, well-known hits that still resonate in the public conscience five decades later. Because of the undubbed mixes, Elvis fans can hear what is arguably a more attractive and accessible musical presentation that theoretically should appeal to the general public, but I don't see this reaching that consumer-base in large numbers. It is a well-produced, well-compiled set that Elvis fans can enjoy, and maybe a few unsuspecting consumers along the way, but I don't see this being a notable retail success in this era of music retail.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Streaming this, sounds pretty darn good. And fun!

londonflash likes this.
  3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are a few reasons why the Elvis Live 69 didn’t sell well. The set lists were very similar and the price was steep. (I have the set and love it, btw). The same would go for an EOT set, so I definitely agree. Wouldn’t work as a mainstream release, that ship has sailed.
    I don’t know what the actual sales were, but Sony was happy with the demand for Way Down In The Jungle Room. I expect more studio sets than anything.

4. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Agreed. On this side of the pond, I think these sessions provided Elvis with three or four top ten hits but none that still resonate with the public today. Releases like this are aimed at us diehards / deeper fans.

5. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I’m sure FTD will compile a sessions set for the 1971 material and probably the latter part of next year to avoid the copyright fiasco.

londonflash likes this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It does make one wonder if this fine release, which I still have not gotten my hands on yet (UPS are you out there somewhere?), had been sprung to the world around the time of the Bazz Luhrmann Elvis biographical movie, could this have moved some significant sales for a new mainstream Elvis release. It's all speculation on my part, but getting Elvis back into the pop culture mainstream in a significant way may be a more important factor than whether the compilation itself has a few well recognized hits on it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Sales are around 25k - nothing amazing when you compare it to something like the Beatles Abbey Road re-issue which since release last September has racked up sales approaching half a million and that’s just in the US. Judging from what Ernst indicates, they have wanted to concentrate on what is considered important parts of Elvis’ recording career and not just random sessions where a few tracks have been scattered across a variety of hotchpotch releases.

D-rock likes this.
  8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I don't think we'll see a similar release for the 1971 sessions even though they could be coupled with the March 1972 sessions with Burning Love and Always On My Mind.

While the 1970 sessions are a step down compared to the 1969 sessions, most of the material is still quite good and Elvis still sounds great. I think the songs from the 1971 sessions are weaker and Elvis' voice is weaker as well so I don't see the appeal of a 1971 set. It belongs on the FTD label.

Revelator, hodgo, Sebastian and 3 others like this.
  9. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

They will surely release some kind of hits compilation set for this movie soundtrack at a reasonable price for the average consumer to buy, just like Bohemian Rhapsody. Elvis compilations always sell pretty well and apart from the Xmas albums are the only ones these days that seem to sell in significant numbers at the time or on a drip feed basis. I doubt a 4 CD set, 50% of which contains outtakes would have been likely to have shifted in big numbers if it had been released around the time of the biographical movie.

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I seriously doubt they would consider taking the 72 stuff away from EOT as they go hand in hand. As you say, the material is weaker and Elvis at times lacks any real enthusiasm. I reckon it will be FTD or nothing.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Well, one project could be releasing some of the 50s and 60s movies on Blu Ray, in addition to what has been released already (i.e. not many.) It is totally perplexing that Loving You has gone MIA for ages, with the original DVD and VHS fetching good money on Ebay etc.

ilistentoallkinds and RSteven like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

In general I agree. However, if one looks at Sony's 1970's era releases (both specialty sets and Legacy Edition reissues), they have covered quite a bit of territory, including a deluxe set from the maligned 1976 recordings. It seems like Santos, who is a self-processed 70's guy, conceivably could have something planned for the 1971/1972 period, even if it is condensed into more of economical set like Way Down In The Jungle Room. Even a multi-disc Stax set was a stretch, and likely never would have happened had Sony not been able to tie the recordings to the Stax moniker for marketing purposes. I suspect the 1971 session work will not receive a mainstream release, but I won't be surprised if something happens, especially if Sony couples the 1971 and 1972 recording session work together, because Burning Love gives them something to work with in terms of marketability.

RSteven and londonflash like this.
  13. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Is this the tape that had some of the Christmas outtakes, and "We Can Make the Morning", etc? I remember reading about missing tapes and reels having quite a bit of tape removed from them.

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Yeah, you’re right. I actually forgot that they technically did rerelease it 5-10 years ago in a smaller box that’s still available. No new mastering though. Oh well. If someone nowadays wants the 50’s they can drop $200 and get the RCA albums box.

Elvis releases can be a confusing thing to understand. I love this new set but can’t help but think how much I would’ve loved an American Sound set just like this. Undubbed masters and selected outtakes. It’s cool that they gave us the complete sessions in order but it’s not an ideal listening experience.

croquetlawns and sharedon like this.
  16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

A year or two ago there was a 4K scan done of "Loving You". It was set to be released by a boutique label on Bluray but a rights issue with some of the music was unable to be resolved and the release was canceled. Damn shame. I imagine that movie would be a stunner in HD.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In a perfect world, I’d like to have Elvis Live ‘69, but I already have too many of the FTD and other releases of the 1969 concerts to justify buying it at list price. If the price ever falls or I could score a deal on a used copy on eBay, I’d buy it.

That most serious collectors already have made huge investments in older FTD releases is a problem for every “new” release. Because of the pandemic, I cancelled my pre-order for this new Elvis 1970 box. I’d love to have it, but own most of the material already.

londonflash likes this.
  18. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

Matt R0ss-Spang mentioned in this interview last year that he had mixed some live recordings from 1972 without being specific (they're either gonna be the On Tour shows or Vegas February shows). As he's only done mainstream releases so far, it's food for thought

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

He was probably referring to the 1972 MSG concert recordings he remixed years ago for Prince From Another Planet.

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Prince From Another Planet was remixed By Michael Brauer.

artfromtex, EternalReturn and RSteven like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh yeah, so maybe Matt Ross-Spang is working on the 1972 EOT material?

artfromtex likes this.
  22. EternalReturn

Maybe. He implies in the interview he worked on them around the same time he mixed the "On Tour" rehearsal songs for "The Searcher" soundtrack.

RSteven likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

I think that was what he was referencing -- he mixed some On Tour rehearsals for The Searcher. Perhaps he mixed the four concerts and additional rehearsals while he was at it for the likely future On Tour project, but one suspect that was not green-lighted in The Searcher's soundtrack budget.

RSteven likes this.
  24. EternalReturn

Quote from the interview:
    “I worked on ‘Way Down in the Jungle Room’ — some late-'70s recordings done at the Jungle Room [at Graceland],” says Ross-Spang. “Those were studio outtakes and unreleased takes. Then we did some live recordings from 1972, and studio recordings of those rehearsals [for the soundtrack to the HBO documentary 'The Searcher']. And now, this wonderful box set of Elvis at the International Hotel. They’ve all been amazing to work on. Everything Elvis is special.”

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

Speaking of this terrible packaging, I received my replacement set today and it was in considerably worst shape than the first copy I received. All four discs were badly scratched and scuffed. I will probably just keep the first set I received, three out of the four discs are in decent shape, with disc three the noticeably bad one. But, I played it cleanly all the way through without a skip, so I will probably reluctantly keep it. What a joke. The primary reason one obtains these sets is for the music, so it seems very strange that these labels continue to house CDs that contain the actual music in such a vulnerable manner. But in the end it is about the money, and clearly this kind of packaging is much cheaper to produce. And while the labels will also assert there are environmental concerns (i.e. plastic versus paper products), there are other effective paper methods of protecting CDs without going down the plastic route (and for the record, paper products are not exactly environmentally conscious either as the world faces deforestation issues).